Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Tennessee-Kentucky Racing
Sir Goony’s Speedway. Home of the ROCCK (Radio Operated Car Club of Knoxville) >

Sir Goony’s Speedway. Home of the ROCCK (Radio Operated Car Club of Knoxville)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sir Goony’s Speedway. Home of the ROCCK (Radio Operated Car Club of Knoxville)

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 05:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

well i may not be able to buy a touring car right now but i cant wait to see how my slash does onroad after a little bit of modding. I just got done adding hose inside my shocks to lower it, spread the shocks out, and added spacers to stiffen up the suspension. it no TC but this this feels like it on rails next to what it was b4.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:10 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rockit RC
Ken,

Short answer, Yes!

Long answer. We are borrowing the transponder system from Karns at Sir Goonies. The AMB system is pretty much the standard RC racing personal transponder system.
Ok, thanx Rockit....
Old 02-28-2011, 07:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

quick ? for somebody that knows. What is the difference between a drift car and a touring car other than the tires?
Old 02-28-2011, 07:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by TNBiscuit83
quick ? for somebody that knows. What is the difference between a drift car and a touring car other than the tires?
Usually drift cars have locked rear diffs (or atleast very tight) and high-turn, high torque motors. And much stiffer suspension. But you are right, not too much other than tires. HPI has one that you can use for both (Sprint to Drift, I think) with minimal changes, so the differences are probably smaller than I think. I did put some slicks (tape on some tires) on my TC and tried to drift a little. With it set up for racing (tight front - loose rear diff) it was not that great, but with a little tuning (and better 'tires") I think it would work great.

Here is some descent info.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=889043

Lots of talk in that thread of taking nice TCs to drifters, but not the other way.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:01 AM
Tech Regular

i thought "drift" cars had a different esc that kinda acted like a e-brake when you let off throttle or applied brakes, im probly wrong though lol
Old 03-01-2011, 03:39 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by p187420
i thought "drift" cars had a different esc that kinda acted like a e-brake when you let off throttle or applied brakes, im probly wrong though lol
Electronics are the same, but HPI makes a little box that plugs in between the servo and receiver that acts as stability control for drifting. They also say it works for offroad as well.

http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/80588/
Old 03-01-2011, 03:49 AM
Regional Moderator

Sprint cars are the best drifters...
Old 03-01-2011, 04:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I believe the little box is a gyro. Helps keep the nose straight. Same as a helichopter.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Limywidget
I believe the little box is a gyro. Helps keep the nose straight. Same as a helichopter.
It handles the counter steering for you. Maybe gyros, maybe accelerometers (maybe both)...really I don't know, but here is a video. That explains it pretty well. My motto, what you can't explain with words, use pretty pictures.

http://youtu.be/JUUhPZyTqPU

But needless to say, this is not what you want for TC. In the more reading I did last night. There is really not much difference between the TC and drift cars.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:42 AM
Tech Regular

ob4 parts ordered ....hopefully as long as usps doesnt let me down they will be in by saturday
Old 03-01-2011, 09:53 AM
Tech Master

Default Meeting Location

Hobbytown never got back to us so we decided to have the first meeting at Sir Goony's.

I will have the transponder set-up, so we can run a few laps/ races and then have our meeting right at the track.

I'll get there about 5pm Thursday night to set up and should start the meeeting about 6:30 or so.

Agenda:

Club name
Officer nominations

Please bring your suggestions.

John

Last edited by JS-toe; 03-01-2011 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:58 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JS-toe
Hobbytown never got back to us so we decided to have the first meeting at Sir Goony's.

I will have the transponder set-up, so we can run a few laps/ races and then have our meeting right at the track.

I'll get there about 5pm to set up and should start the meeting about 6:30 or so.

Agenda:

Club name
Officer nominations

Please bring your suggestions.

John
This is still happening Thursday, right?
Old 03-01-2011, 10:17 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DarrenM
Although I'm all for a level playing field, having a spec class is just going to push so many people away.

If you do set this up then its just not gonna be run-what-you-brung and people will be put off by having to buy this and that to compete.

It appears that a lot of people are turning up and just want to race. Don't stop this

I would suggest you just limit the motor size, max 40C 2C battery and select a stock tire (which must be available for sale at the track)

This is meant to be about fun. Lets keep it that way
I think most of the people considering running a spec class will be using a 2nd car. The "open" or run what you brung class will still be there.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:22 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by AbstractZen
This is still happening Thursday, right?
OH Yes... Thursday night. I'll edit the message.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

Felt that I needed to bump the thread....almost 24 hours and all is quite...kind of erie. Surely you guys aren't building some new stupid fast touring cars...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.