Search
Like Tree302Likes

R1 Wurks brushless motors

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 09:06 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

What were some people at IIC geared and timed at for a 21.5 V16 in 4wd TC? Looking for recommendations.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:55 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dizzy1
Its a V16. Tried changing ESC frequency from 8k down to 1k. Same noise. Haven't looked on a analyzer. Tempted to adjust timing on the motor up and down about 10 degrees to see if any affect.
I did more research. I now think the frequency was to low/Not good firmware. The only info I could find was mostly from rc airplane websites and guys building there own esc. Seems poor firmware from cheap esc s waste energy and make noise. Good quality esc s make the noise go away. I tried changing my timing and it sounded the same.good luck. Found this from ****its normal for an esc with a PWM frequency set from 8 to 12hkz to whine.
You will hear this whine with many esc's and motors.

When you have an esc that allows you to adjust the PWM frequency past 12khz, the noise is lessened.

Its the motor making that noise based on the esc settings.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jasburrito
I did more research. I now think the frequency was to low/Not good firmware. The only info I could find was mostly from rc airplane websites and guys building there own esc. Seems poor firmware from cheap esc s waste energy and make noise. Good quality esc s make the noise go away. I tried changing my timing and it sounded the same.good luck. Found this from ****its normal for an esc with a PWM frequency set from 8 to 12hkz to whine.

When you have an esc that allows you to adjust the PWM frequency past 12khz, the noise is lessened.

That doesn't explain why my mates one squeals really loud with an XR10 Pro. Mine squeals a tiny bit too like normal but we can hear his from the drivers stand on the farthest part of the track.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:07 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by gigaplex
That doesn't explain why my mates one squeals really loud with an XR10 Pro. Mine squeals a tiny bit too like normal but we can hear his from the drivers stand on the farthest part of the track.
Maybe he has different firmware on his esc. Same motor? My new r1 has ungodly magnet strength. My other esc worked perfect on other motors. But did not like the huge magnet strength of r1. My mamba x spins it with ease and no noise. Maybe an expert will chime in? With cheap esc running hw firmware. https://youtu.be/Dbbt9SohLm0

Last edited by jasburrito; 11-28-2017 at 02:20 PM.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

New rotor upgrade for stock motors. The 1650 rotor is the sweet spot for torque/RPM's for R1wurks motors
https://r1wurks.com/collections/moto...ue-tuned-rotor

idbdoug
Antimullet likes this.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

So have you tried the drive freq's from 1K to 4K? I personally have never used anything higher than 4K
idbdoug
Old 11-28-2017, 03:24 PM
Tech Addict

No. None of my esc s have adjustable pwm. At 1 of the club races a team Orion driver commented on the noises my motor was making. I searched and found info from drone video guys and rc plane guys discussing motor noise.so I switched my firmware to a few different 1 s. Still noisy. So I installed mamba x. It now has no noise and runs cooler. MAMBA X, 25.2V WP ESC, 8A PEAK BEC, DATALOGGING. It's over kill and designed for powerful starts (rock crawling) but whatever.
Jorge T likes this.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Hopefully R1 chimes in on the noise. I don't mind it if not negative performance issues. I know it's not the esc, Hobbywing makes some of the best in the business and makes them for other brands out there. Might be just a combination of the new rotors with the sensor board layout creating the extra noise. I've had motors with killer rotor numbers and used a few different frequencies in the esc and never noise like this. Just very odd.
Old 11-29-2017, 05:53 PM
Tech Addict

L lp
Hopefully R1 chimes in on the noise. I don't mind it if not negative performance issues. I know it's not the esc, Hobbywing makes some of the best in the business and makes them for other brands out there. Might be just a combination of the new rotors with the sensor board layout creating the extra noise. I've had motors with killer rotor numbers and used a few different frequencies in the esc and never noise like this. Just very odd.
I just had to take the bait. Nice work.
Careful. If they were 1 of the best esc s you would not have strange noises. It's hobbywing not NASA. Lol. I am sure hw will modify there firmware and it will be good.

Last edited by jasburrito; 11-29-2017 at 06:09 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:31 PM
Tech Champion

L lp I just had to take the bait. Nice work.
Careful. If they were 1 of the best esc s you would not have strange noises. It's hobbywing not NASA. Lol. I am sure hw will modify there firmware and it will be good.
Are you suggesting that NASA never has failures? And that Hobbywing aren't one of the better name brand ESCs out there? They're one of the most popular brands available at this time.
Attached Thumbnails R1 Wurks brushless motors-hw.jpg  
Old 11-29-2017, 06:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I've built several R1 V16 17.5s and 21.5s, both with and without the 1750 rotor.

When I built the first motor with the 1750 rotor I noticed the squeak when the motor was about to start on the dyno.

The same motor with the original rotor did not squeak as loud and none with a 12.3 rotor.

The 1750 rotors read in the range 1680-1700gauss in my facts machine 2.
The regular rotors I've tested read 1490-1525 gauss. That is quite a big difference.

The rotor being so strong takes more throttle input to start the motor and in my opinion is what making the lound motor sound.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:39 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Jorge T
I've built several R1 V16 17.5s and 21.5s, both with and without the 1750 rotor.

When I built the first motor with the 1750 rotor I noticed the squeak when the motor was about to start on the dyno.

The same motor with the original rotor did not squeak as loud and none with a 12.3 rotor.

The 1750 rotors read in the range 1680-1700gauss in my facts machine 2.
The regular rotors I've tested read 1490-1525 gauss. That is quite a big difference.

The rotor being so strong takes more throttle input to start the motor and in my opinion is what making the squeak.
The one the squeaks at my track is using the stock rotor, not the high torque one.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

All all r1 v16 that I have seen are louder than tsr 1.0, motiv mc2. It may be the epoxy covered windings resonating.
Some of the first batch motors are loud and run hot.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:03 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by gigaplex
Are you suggesting that NASA never has failures? And that Hobbywing aren't one of the better name brand ESCs out there? They're one of the most popular brands available at this time.
No. I barely believe they went to the moon. I like hw. I added lol. Just saying my castle x made the super noisy motor with xyz esc run about silent. I did not want to change the esc! I did an experiment. Those are my results. Loud to very quite. For fun https://youtu.be/orqKHKstdU8
Old 11-29-2017, 09:47 PM
Tech Master

I've run HW ESC's for many years and used a variety of motors. If you are experiencing the noise when you first apply throttle then it is the combination of motor and esc and does not effect performance unless you experiencing cogging (which it does not seem like you are). The sound appears more often with motors that have a good amount of torque overall, which the R1 does even without the HT Rotor. It also appears more often with 1S applications like 1/12th scale.

The Hobbywing ESC's apply power very smoothly, while other ESC's are like an on/off switch. With that smooth delivery of power, there is a range at the very start of throttle input where not enough power is being delivered to turn a motor with a ton of torque (maybe the first 1 - 3% of input). This usually only happens when you start from a dead stop. Once you increase the throttle input past that point, you shouldn't hear the noise. You can increase the Initial Throttle or Punch setting or Throttle Curve on the ESC to make it deliver more power at the start of input if it bothers you.

If it is making that noise constantly, take it apart and check & oil your bearings, check your sensor board and also make sure the motor didn't inhale a shim/screw.

I run a XR10 Pro and XR10 Pro 1S @ 4k Frequency in TC, F1 and 1/12th w/ V16 HT and Standard Rotors.

Hope that helps ..

-
Joey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.