Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions
DC Motor Sports Discussion Thread: >

DC Motor Sports Discussion Thread:

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DC Motor Sports Discussion Thread:

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 08:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Curtis Schlaht
Hey Adrian,

The Shock’s endbell doesn't come assembled (fully unassembled), when purchased as an OEM teardown from Trinity. And from what I saw, well, they can keep it; the hoods were a very poor fit in the endbell (loose), and the screw holes for the spring post weren’t even tapped. The hoods themselves needed to be epoxied into the endbell (by the OEM customer, not the manufacturer) and if they’re not aligned perfectly, well your screwed….. Overall, just poorly machined Chinese CRAP, another GREAT Trinity product

Curtis,
Wow, thats good to know. I only run Reedy and Orion base stuff now but the concept of the Shock looked good. As you said though...poor execution.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Let 'em have it, Curtis! Sounds like the best OEM motor builder will only be using the best teardowns (Ti3 )
Old 09-14-2005, 10:27 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by AdrianM
Wow, thats good to know. I only run Reedy and Orion base stuff now but the concept of the Shock looked good. As you said though...poor execution.

Let’s just say this; I don’t get my kick’s by putting other companies down, but it is my honest “opinion” that shock teardowns I saw were not up to par with what I was expecting. With this being said; it doesn’t mean that Trinity won’t have a good motor on their hands, I’m sure the team suff will be up to par…. Give one a go around and make your own judgment, I’m sure they’ll be mixed reviews as always.

Curtis,
Old 09-14-2005, 10:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Got the three armatures just now Curtis-thanks for the speedy delivery!!!

As always-I stare at the winding of the armatures in awe!!!

Ray
Old 09-14-2005, 04:15 PM
Tech Master

Curtis,

Finally got to really wring out the motors I got from you. The 8x1 was nice; fast, smooth, not at all hard to drive (well, until it hung a brush, it didn't like that. lol) Ran the 8x1 in practice and the first 2 rounds.

Since the 8x1 hung a brush, and I didn't feel like messing with it between heats, I dropped in the 7x1. OMFG!!!! The sheer insane increase in speed was unreal!! Since I had also changed to a different set of tires that were a little dry, and was probably a little undergeared, the car was kind of all over the track! I swear it was breaking the tires loose every time I pulled on it! Ever with all that, I still ran my fastest qualifier of the night. Who needs a good racing line when you can make it all up in the straight! Trued the comm again and ran the same motor in the main and went faster yet! Screw running 8 turns anymore!!! It's all about the 7's for me from now on! Definately gonna order some more motors/arms sometime soon, before the Classic. Might even try a UL 7 turn arm
Old 09-14-2005, 04:54 PM
Tech Addict

Ray: Sweet, glad to hear UPS came through....

Stealth: NICE, so you agree, FASTER IS BETTER LOL

Curtis,
Old 09-14-2005, 06:46 PM
Tech Champion

Curtis,Got a question. I ran some mod in practice tonight. Fastest combo so far was the Ti3, Sagami 8x1 18 degree timing, xxx brush and geared 0.775.

Motor wasnt even that hot-which amazed me.

Next I put the ti3, d4 blank, xxx brush 7x1, 12 degree timing geared 0.760 and it wasnt near as quick as the 8x1 combo

Did I miss something? Or is it possible the XXX brushes after about 7 or 8 runs have had it? They look fine!!

Ray
Old 09-14-2005, 06:59 PM
Tech Master

I should hope XXX brushes last ALOT longer than 7-8 runs, for $12/pair. I get more runs than that out of Quasar bushes.

Ray, you gonna be racing at the Gate Sunday, or off at Vegas? Trying to decide if its worth showing up and if anyone is gonna be there to run Mod.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:04 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Stealth_RT
I should hope XXX brushes last ALOT longer than 7-8 runs, for $12/pair. I get more runs than that out of Quasar bushes.

Ray, you gonna be racing at the Gate Sunday, or off at Vegas? Trying to decide if its worth showing up and if anyone is gonna be there to run Mod.
Well-the pair that was on the 7x1 can might have been-oh yes-I now recall-had some heat applied to them!!!

I am thnking of running MOd sunday for fun but I know the usual mod crowd will be light. Might only be you, me and maybe tyler.....

I need t know whats -up too so I know to work on 12th scale stuf or sedan stuff!! e-mail or call me tomorrow about it. btw-your 10.88 is still safe-I could only manage a handfull of 10.9's tonight.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:11 PM
Tech Addict

Hi Ray,

Yup bud, you sure did..... AND HERE IT IS.....CLICK HERE:... Remember, if switching armatures you’ll need to fully reseat the brush again unless the comm sizes are identical…

Curtis,
Old 09-14-2005, 07:17 PM
Tech Master

Old 09-14-2005, 08:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Curtis, I saw the motor you did for Ronnie aka Picco007. I was impressed with the power he had. He blew by me like I was sitting still. I would like to have one those Ti3s like you did for him. Man he was fast. Also can you tell me how to gear it along with the Reedy Ti 9x3 ( not worlds edition).
Old 09-14-2005, 08:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Curtis, Did the UPS man pick up my care package for this weekend? Thanks again man
Old 09-15-2005, 04:19 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by CarlosG.
Curtis, I saw the motor you did for Ronnie aka Picco007. I was impressed with the power he had. He blew by me like I was sitting still. I would like to have one those Ti3s like you did for him. Man he was fast. Also can you tell me how to gear it along with the Reedy Ti 9x3 ( not worlds edition).

HI Carlos: I'm guessing some where between 23-26 x 100, depending on your tire size... Honestly, just ask Ronnie what he was gearing his motor, I'm sure that will be a good starting point (when in doubt, ask the local fast guy)...

Brian: Yup, sure did.....Should have it Friday.

Curtis,
Old 09-15-2005, 05:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Carlos,

My rollout for that motor was 35 or 36 mm. Like Curtis said, it depends on tires size. I will try to make you a rollout chart before sat. A 25 tooth pinion will get you 36.89mm rollout with tires that are 47mm. I may run something lower like a 24 tooth with 47 mm tires to see how it does.

Thanks Curtis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.