Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree73Likes

Ask Team Tekin

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 08:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Broadwater
when i play back my data logs it shows my throttle never going over 83% even when i'm holding full throttle for a good period of time. is this normal? is the 83% actually 100% but some calibration is off?
I'd like to see Randy's answer too, but for me it is was the radio - a Spectrum in my case. When I calibrated the radio to the ESC using 100% on the radio end point I only got ~80 throttle on the ESC read out. I recalibrated using 120% on the radio then I got 100% throttle on the ESC readout and the car was faster. After calibrating the radio and ESC I also detune the motor to the track conditions (I race dirt oval now) by adjusting the radio end point so I don't over power the track.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-26-2017, 09:10 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John Wallace2
I'd like to see Randy's answer too, but for me it is was the radio - a Spectrum in my case. When I calibrated the radio to the ESC using 100% on the radio end point I only got ~80 throttle on the ESC read out. I recalibrated using 120% on the radio then I got 100% throttle on the ESC readout and the car was faster. After calibrating the radio and ESC I also detune the motor to the track conditions (I race dirt oval now) by adjusting the radio end point so I don't over power the track.

Hope this helps.
Thanks so Much. That sounds right to me.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:30 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hope this helps.
That numeric figure is not a percentage of YOUR throttle input to the ESC. It's a figure that is based on the maximum allowable throttle singal we accept. As long as you are seeing "Flats" in the log you're getting wide open throttle to the ESC.

Another quick check is to power up your ESC and hit WOT and verify all LED's ramp up and then flash all at the WOT mark.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
That numeric figure is not a percentage of YOUR throttle input to the ESC. It's a figure that is based on the maximum allowable throttle singal we accept. As long as you are seeing "Flats" in the log you're getting wide open throttle to the ESC.

Another quick check is to power up your ESC and hit WOT and verify all LED's ramp up and then flash all at the WOT mark.
Hi Randy, one of these days I'm going to learn to not disagree with the experts, but I'm going to here. Just because you see flats and all the LEDs light up at WOT is not the same thing as using all the available throttle voltage unless that flat also occurs at 100%. If the WOT Flats don't occur around 100%, you are only using a fraction of the full throttle potential that your ESC can provide - perhaps a better interpretation than % of throttle position. For illustration unrestricted my full throttle Flats occur at 100% on the ESC but if I give the same car to a novice and slow the car down by adjusting the throttle end point to say 60%, he/she will have full throttle flats (and all the LEDs will flash) but the Flats will be at a lower percentage and hopefully they will be slower than me. BTW when racing, my WOT flats occur between 75 and 80% and all LEDs flash at Full throttle (I just checked) and I know the SCT I use for dirt oval is a lot faster at 100% than at 80%, but the track conditions won't hold the faster speeds.

Last edited by John Wallace2; 08-28-2017 at 05:33 PM.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:30 AM
Team Tekin

Hi Randy, one of these days I'm going to learn to not disagree with the experts, but I'm going to here. Just because you see flats and all the LEDs light up at WOT is not the same thing as using all the available throttle voltage unless that flat also occurs at 100%. If the WOT Flats don't occur around 100%, you are only using a fraction of the full throttle potential that your ESC can provide - perhaps a better interpretation than % of throttle position. For illustration unrestricted my full throttle Flats occur at 100% on the ESC but if I give the same car to a novice and slow the car down by adjusting the throttle end point to say 60%, he/she will have full throttle flats (and all the LEDs will flash) but the Flats will be at a lower percentage and hopefully they will be slower than me. BTW when racing, my WOT flats occur between 75 and 80% and all LEDs flash at Full throttle (I just checked) and I know the SCT I use for dirt oval is a lot faster at 100% than at 80%, but the track conditions won't hold the faster speeds.
This statement is true and accurate to a point. If you used EPA's to slow the car down it would indeed show a "flat" since the high point would stop going up. However the LED's will not all light up and flash which is the 2nd of 2 parts required for my statement to be accurate.

If your WOT is happening at 70% throttle input you did not calibrate your ESC properly, period.

If your'e one of those guys that calibrates at 100 on the EPA then pushes the EPA up to 140 or whatever this is why your WOT is at 70%.
Old 08-29-2017, 03:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
This statement is true and accurate to a point. If you used EPA's to slow the car down it would indeed show a "flat" since the high point would stop going up. However the LED's will not all light up and flash which is the 2nd of 2 parts required for my statement to be accurate.

If your WOT is happening at 70% throttle input you did not calibrate your ESC properly, period.

If your'e one of those guys that calibrates at 100 on the EPA then pushes the EPA up to 140 or whatever this is why your WOT is at 70%.
I really don't recall how I calibrated the ESC (RX8 version 2 running a 2s battery), it was either 100% or 120% on the transmitter end point (most likely 120% since that was what I found was needed to get 100% ESC on my 10th scale cars - same radio). But either way, the ESC works exactly the way I want it to so I don't want to mess with it. On big off road tracks I'm getting 100% flats and on small dirt ovals I'm getting 75-80% flats and all the LEDs light up in either case. Only difference is the throttle end point setting at the transmitter. I have 2 other of these ESCs but are set up for 4s batteries, I'll calibrate them tonight and see if they behave as you say.
Old 08-29-2017, 05:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

OK time to eat some crow! I calibrated one of my other ESCs to 100% end point on the radio, 100% brake and no throttle trim (Randy these are just too easy to do to not calibrate correctly). Ran the motor and got the following ESC read outs 80% throttle and motor rpm 28.4K Reset transmitter end point to 65% and ran the motor. Only some of the LED lights came on, just as Randy said. ESC readings were: 57% throttle and motor rpm was 26.7K.

I recalibrated the radio/ESC using 120% endpoint and ran the motor. ESC readings were: throttle 100% (the same finding I got from my 1/10th scale ESCs) motor RPM 28.6K (very minor gain in RPM). Next I changed the endpoint to 65%, ESC readings were: 57% throttle and 26.4K rpm. Only some on the LEDs came on. Next I put the end point at 90% (about where I run) and the ESC reading were 77% throttle and 27.1K RPM. All the LEDs came on but did not flash. Only time the LEDS flashed was when the end point used was the same end point the ESC was calibrated to.

What I missed in Randy's first email was the LEDs did not flash, they only ramped up, all were illuminated at the end point I was using, but they did not flash!

I'm also very surprised at the minimal gain in motor RPM between 80% throttle reading and 100%. That of course is static RPM and doesn't measure acceleration, but still surprising! PS that was also using a 4S battery.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:19 PM
Team Tekin

No worries.

If you calibrate at 100 and go up from there all you're doing is shifting your WOT set point lower in the trigger travel. You really shouldn't see any WOT rpm variance since "on" is "on" lol.

The data logger again isn't a percentage of your throttle, it's the precentage of the maximum allowable WOT signal we'll accept in the software.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:31 AM
DBM
Tech Fanatic

When is the G3 SpecR 17.5 motors due to hit the market?
Old 09-05-2017, 04:26 PM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by DBM
When is the G3 SpecR 17.5 motors due to hit the market?
SDRC in Cali has them, OCRC had some not sure if they still do. Amain and stormer should have them shortly also.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

What's the resistance numbers on the spec-r 17.5 stators? What about the gauss of the yellow rotors? Seen one run in TC and they look good. They like to rev.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:11 AM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by Antimullet
What's the resistance numbers on the spec-r 17.5 stators? What about the gauss of the yellow rotors? Seen one run in TC and they look good. They like to rev.
The resistance is lower than most in general. Problem with spitting out a spec here is that everyone will expect to get the best numbers which is what you're asking me.

That said the yellow high torque rotor is standard since we felt this is what our team is running 99% of the time. This coupled with our new stack design, low resistance stators, and good numbers on other measurements we're all familair with make a great motor.

Yes these are high revving motors, typicall 3-4 teeth in 48p lower than typical 17.5 gearing for example.
Antimullet likes this.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:04 AM
Tech Regular

i run a a 30/69 with a team type blueprint motor, can't go to 29 or lower for three teeth pinion drop, what should i look for to add in spur gear teeth for these new R specs?
Old 09-18-2017, 08:27 AM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by Pinkz
i run a a 30/69 with a team type blueprint motor, can't go to 29 or lower for three teeth pinion drop, what should i look for to add in spur gear teeth for these new R specs?
If the motor plate doesn't allow for more movemtn, try a 78 spur to get you the ratio:

Spur/Pinion x Trans ratio = FDR
Old 09-20-2017, 09:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

With ROAR allowing 4 pole motors in 1/10 scale now, i am looking at trying out a Pro2 in my wheeler. I run a 5.5 now, what KV would you recommend?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.