Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SMC

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 06:24 PM
Cat
Tech Initiate

Bidg4343-thx for your recommendation, i'm now using GP3300 and feel good for them. Just wanna to keep their performance as long as i can.

Korgae-thank you. i've try to search in the internet but i can't find any intergy discharger
Old 03-17-2003, 06:57 PM
Tech Adept

Default 3300'S>>>CAT

HEY DUDE(CAT),
JUST REMEMBER NOT TO DISCHARGE THEM BELOW 5.4 VOLTS AND DONT PUT THEM ON A DISCHARGE TRAY UNLESS YOU HAVE MORE RUNTIME THAN YOU NEED THEN IT MAY OR MAY NOT BENEFIT YOU TO PUT THEM ON A SMARTRAY TILL THE LIGHTS GO OUT AND THEN TAKE THEM OFF FOR THEY GAIN POWER BUT LOOSE RUNTIME.WHEW!...LOTTA TYPING 4 A SEARCH-N-POKE TYPIST.
Old 03-17-2003, 07:55 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Hi cat.

Glad to hear that you are using GP 3300's.. We (SMC) do not recomend putting them on a tray. ( any tray)

We recomend that you simply bring them down to 5.40V @ 30amps. let then cool and store them.

www.integy.com

then go to dischargers and you will see from their, Its called the reactor 30 (part # 2005-30)

This might work:
http://secure400.automatedshops.com/...41103554348.aa

Korgae
SMC.
Old 03-17-2003, 08:01 PM
Company Representative

BigD4343,

Please don't take this the wrong way, I understand that everyone has and is entitled to a opinion. as we are intitled to ours. and we choose to post our opinion in our own section of RC tech. ( our forum)

If you beleive that simply putting a 3300 on a tray is suficiant to dishcharge after a run , thats great..(for you) but not for everyone else and certainly not us.. I would apreate if you kept your "personal" opinions on Battery care to the more general forums of RC tech.

If you want to ask questions, then please feel free and ask away, but please DO NOT answer questions on our behalf in our section.

Please leave that to either Danny or myself.

Our customers come into our forum to hear what SMC recomends and beleives, If we allowed a 100 different theorys to be posted in our section Im affraid it would lead to mass confusion. and we not be providing the best possible service to our customers.

Please look at this from our shoes.

thanks

Korgae

SMC
Old 03-17-2003, 09:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by Korgae
Hi cat.

Glad to hear that you are using GP 3300's.. We (SMC) do not recomend putting them on a tray. ( any tray)

We recomend that you simply bring them down to 5.40V @ 30amps. let then cool and store them.

www.integy.com

then go to dischargers and you will see from their, Its called the reactor 30 (part # 2005-30)

This might work:
http://secure400.automatedshops.com/...41103554348.aa

Korgae
SMC.
The funny thing is Korgae...those Reactor 30 really works

(no comment on the bigd subject)
Old 03-17-2003, 09:58 PM
Tech Regular

What would be the best way to discharge a 4 cell pack to 3.6 volts?
Does anyone make a discharger for this?

Thanks
Old 03-17-2003, 11:21 PM
Cat
Tech Initiate

Korgae-thx for your useful information.

RC Paperboy-for 4 cell i think the reactor 30 can discharge to 3.6v because it can adjust the voltage inside the box, right ?
Old 03-17-2003, 11:21 PM
Tech Regular

Hi Korgae,
I just got myself two GP3300 packs. As recomended on your website, I charged them at 6 amp and a threshold voltage of 0.050 v and got excellent results.
Now my questions are as follows :

1) What temperature cutoff should I use?
2) How should I store the packs? I lost two Sanyo 3000HV when I stored them for a couple of months after discharging at 20 amp (5.4 V). I am pretty wary of the lifetime of NiMh cells

TIA
Old 03-19-2003, 06:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Battery Storage

Hi Korgae! Will matched GP 3300 batts detriorate if used for a few runs then stored for up to six months before being used again? What do you recommend be done to the batts before long term storage? The reason I am asking is that in our local races, spec batts are required. However, we do go to big out of town races two or three times a year where any batts are allowed. I plan to buy a few SMC batts for the big races but will only be using them two or three times a year. Thanks a lot.
Old 03-19-2003, 01:49 PM
Company Representative

Fab RC.

I like those Indy dischargers. nothing funny their LOL

RC Paper Boy; Good question.. The Indy will only do 6 cells ( 5.40v) you cant use the reactor with a 4 cell. My best advice (honestly) in to make friends with a guy at your track that has a Turbo (30 or 35) and discharge it on that. you could use Light bulds in a pinch but their is no device to auto cut at 3.6 so you would have to watch it with a volt meter. ( not the greatest)

Cat- No problem... any other questions, I will be more then happy to answer them for you.. ( PS the reactor doesnt do 4 cells)

Night KidZ- Glad you found the results with our website.. your aiming to peak your pack at around 150F (adjust your threshold to get it into this range) always charge your pack in the box.. if you miss your "run window" 10-15 minutes close the box and flip it over. that way the pack will be stay within the opitum temp for running.

Store the packs at 5.40 volts. (alwys use 30 amps) the GP cells are proving to hold up better then the Sanyo cells ever did. I cant garantee you that they will last forever, but they should stay in good shape. from what we have seen the GPs hav emore shelf life then the sanyo's.. but like I tell everyone we are constantly testing andlearings. as we do more "storing" type tests we will keep you posted.

Jedi. 6 months is a long time.. and in that time things can change so much.. I would recomend mabye buying 1 or 2 packs before each event and then selling them after ( you wouldent lose much$$ that way and you would be garanteed fresh voltage for every trophy race. most people don't realize that you can get away with using 2 packs per class for the whole weekend.. depending on the event our drivers only receive one pack per class sometimes.

let me know what you think, if you dont like the idea i can offer some others.

Korgae
SMC
Old 03-20-2003, 12:31 AM
Tech Regular

Korgae : Thanks for the reply dude
Old 03-20-2003, 03:17 PM
Company Representative

Hi Guys,

Here is something for the racers that are all about performance to try.

keep in mind this is recomended (at this time) for the racer. We sujest that you have the proper charger, and have your care routine down to a science.

Danny has been running tests on the advantage of trays with the GP cells. He has found that if you use a tray before you charge. ( the only time) that you will get a better charge ( more performance)

Here are some Important tips:

Follow and you will be fine:

-Newer GP cells only
- only just before charge
-Pull pack as soon as the LED's go out. ( do not let them sit for long once the LED"s have gone out)
- Never tray a warm or hot pack.
-Never tray after the run.

as more results come back I will keep people posted on what tray to use and what not to use..

If you are unclear and want to try this ask me before attempting.

On a side note, I attended a Trophy race last weekend and noticed that some racers were force cooling their packs with fans after their run.. this is a big NO NO.The best way is to let the pack cool naturally on its own back to room temp.

Korgae
Old 03-20-2003, 03:55 PM
R/C Tech Founder

Interesting note about the fans. I see a lot of people doing this, and Trinity even makes that battery cooling stand.

What is the reasoning? I can understand not wanting to put a hot pack in a freezer, since you want the temperature change to happen gradually...
Old 03-20-2003, 04:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Cuz u want the voltage to level off nice and evenly.
Old 03-20-2003, 04:17 PM
Company Representative

a little fan, might be okay. but not anything that blows a decent amount of air.. the idea is that you want the pack to cool the same way the pack charges (gradually) It doesnt go cold to hot(instantly) as it charges. and it shouldend go hot to cold thesame way. I have noticed that when a pack was "force cooled" the performance has gone down..

I personally will let the pack sit (outside the box) until reaches back to room temp. then place it inte box and either use it again or store it

hope this helps.

Korgae

P.S. Futural- did you get my mail about Jaco? Im excited to get going on it...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.