Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SMC

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 06:17 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Danny any word on the 40c saddle packs. I am in need of a new one bad. As my the battery that came with the car is a 4800 and won't take but 4000 mah and is up over 20 on the IR.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:59 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The 5300/40C saddle pack should be available in 2 weeks.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

*edit: double-post
Old 08-17-2009, 12:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Default SMC C-MAX 40C 5200mah lipo packs puffing

Hi Danny,

I own three 5200mah C-max 40C packs. One of them puffed last week, the other is fine and I have one that appears to have signs of puffing but it still works. I have owned them since May 09. I purchased them from Stormer for this years 09 Reedy Race of Champions. I also used them in my B4 for the annual Hot Rod Hobbies Shootout. Both vehicles are using the LRP SPX with lipo cutoff enabled. I charge at 1C @ 5.2amps and charge it with my Checkpoint 1030 charger. The temperatures in all the events were in 100-110 degree weather and I have had no issues until last week.

Last week was also over 100 degrees at my local track. I ran the pack for more than 10 minutes for practice for our first annual Norcal Top Gun Challenge. I noticed that after my practice run, the pack expanded when my battery tape came undone. I pulled the pack out immediately and put it outside of the shop and kept checking the temps. We got it from 145 degrees then up to 165 degrees. Temps were climbing so we left it alone. Eventually it cooled. I was geared normally and didn't do anything out of the ordinary.

I was advised not to use the pack anymore. Is there any way to check to see if any of the cells are defective or to locate the cause of the expansion? I am now worried about about the other C-Max 40C pack since it also shows signs of the plastic casing expanding not to mention the pack that has not expanded.

I own the 28C 5000mah red carbon fiber packs and both packs work great. No expansion issues since I got them and they are my backup packs. I have used them in 100+ degree weather with no issue.

Please reply back or PM me. Thank you.

PS If anyone else has some advice on what to do please reply.

Last edited by rcjunkie3000; 08-17-2009 at 04:34 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:54 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Your packs are damaged. I would not ues them because they could go in your car and then you'd have a mess. You probably lost some capacity too. You might be able to use them in a rock crawler, but I wouldn't risk a fire.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default SMC 5200 40C

I agree with the previous poster that you should not use the packs until you talk to or hear from SMC. I also race in NORCAL (Rescue) where it's hot but generally only in the 90's. I have one of the 5200 40C C-Max packs and two of the 5200 24C Lightening Volts. So far no trouble with any of them. I was talking to one of the SMC tech guys (Brian I think) a couple of weeks ago and he told me that they were having an issue with the 5200 40C C-Max in very high ambient temperatures and were redesigning a replacement pack. There was no mention of what they might or might not do for the owners like us. I run a dirt oval sprint with a Novak 5.5R/GTB system and even when the motor and ESC are pretty warm after a 5 minute heat the batteries are barely warm to the touch. Based on what I've seen on this site and my own experience talking to the tech guys I doubt SMC will hang us out if we have a problem not of our own making. Hope my optimism is not misplaced.

Frank
Old 10-06-2009, 08:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Swelling

I just experienced a similar problem with the 6000 sportmax packs. I've charged them a dozen times maybe and the last time they both swelled to the point that the hardcase separated. At first I thought maybe the glue just came loose but they won't squeeze back together. I verified the settings on my Hyperion Duo II and all seems good but am concerned about continued use of the batteries. Are they done for? What could have gone wrong?
Old 11-15-2009, 09:30 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dirtdemon
I just experienced a similar problem with the 6000 sportmax packs. I've charged them a dozen times maybe and the last time they both swelled to the point that the hardcase separated. At first I thought maybe the glue just came loose but they won't squeeze back together. I verified the settings on my Hyperion Duo II and all seems good but am concerned about continued use of the batteries. Are they done for? What could have gone wrong?
Danny, I received the replacements. Thank you so much.. the UPS truck pulled up with them yesterday as we were in the front yard running the slashes. Perfect timing.