Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need some advice/recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 11:30 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Need some advice/recommendation

Hi guys I'm totally new to this and have been reading around the net. I'm really interested in buying a monster truck. But as much as I want it, I really don't think I have the budget for it. I'm not working so I'm thinking of using my CNY money to get 1. Would $300 be enough to get 1? I'd prefer electric than to nitro since it should be easier to maintain. I would also prefer unassembled as its cheaper and I do enjoy building stuff. So I would like to know if $300 is sufficient for me to get a decent truck and all the necessary accessories like batteries. I would also appreciate if you could give me some recommendations as I don't know where to start. Thanks in advance.

Ryan
Old 01-15-2006, 01:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hi anyone can help me? I'm thinking of Mini-Z monster and the minizilla .. what do you guys think? How much are these and what else do I need to get or what else do you recommend me to get?
Old 01-15-2006, 05:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by The_Flash
Hi anyone can help me? I'm thinking of Mini-Z monster and the minizilla .. what do you guys think? How much are these and what else do I need to get or what else do you recommend me to get?
if you're getting minizilla or mini-z monster it's RTR. basically you will get almost everything you need to get it running.
Old 01-15-2006, 06:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I would suggest you to look at Mini Madness from Cen Racing. http://www.cenracing.com/cars/mini/mini.html

It is a RTR that even comes with battery & best of all, it is using a standard 540 motor & has potential for upgrades also.
Old 01-15-2006, 06:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

wow the mini madness looks good but where can I get it and more importantly does it fit my budget of $300?
Old 01-15-2006, 09:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

wow the mini madness looks good but where can I get it and more importantly does it fit my budget of $300?
yes... abt 280 can get
Old 01-16-2006, 02:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yup, it retails at $280. RTR, complete with 7.2V batt and it's charger, comes with Sanwa MX-A digital TX. All u need is another 8 AA batts for the TX to run it.

Well, Tai Sing is the distributor for CEN products.
Old 01-16-2006, 04:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hmm right now I'm considering this 4.

1) Mini z monster
2) Losi Mini T
3) Mini inferno
4) Cen mini madness

Would appreciate any comparision of the 4 above ..

I also would appreciate if you guys can help me out with some questions

1) What is a servo/servo horn?
2) What is an ESC for?
3) What is the difference between 2WD and 4WD. (advantages/disadvantages)

And for the trucks, they do have kits too right? I'd prefer building to RTR, that way I'll know the truck better. For the kits I also just need batteries and no other accessories?

Oh and how do I get to taising?

Thanks
Old 01-16-2006, 05:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

[QUOTE=The_Flash]Hmm right now I'm considering this 4.

1) Mini z monster
2) Losi Mini T
3) Mini inferno
4) Cen mini madness

Would appreciate any comparision of the 4 above ..

I've owned the first 3 trucks you considering, here's my 2 cents.

The Mini Z Monster (MZM) is a nice small quick truck, good for indoor play but if you bring it out, you get tired of the speed easily unless you want to seriouly get it modified but then its still too small a scale to bring outdoors.

The Mini-T is great, a bigger scale than the MZM and is 2WD. Very quick and nimble truck good for jumps and can be raced with a few minor hop ups.

The Mini Inferno is 4wd and is also great for jumps and overall outdoor play but since its 4wd you have more parts to change like front centre an rear diff if you want to really upgrade it but it rocks and the grip is very diff than the mini-t handling wise.

See what you really want ?
Outdoor? Race? Mods? Bashing?

The Mini Madness looks very good to bash but i have not yet tried one out.

I also would appreciate if you guys can help me out with some questions

1) What is a servo/servo horn?
Servo is the geared box used to turn your trucks steering mechanism/linkages
Servo horn is the connector between servo and steering mechanism/linkages
2) What is an ESC for?
Electronic Speed Controller (as it already says, it electronically controls the speed of your motor)
3) What is the difference between 2WD and 4WD. (advantages/disadvantages)
2wd more rear push, steering and throttle play a big part
4wd more drivable and seems easier to control as the power is distributed to all 4 wheels
You drive then you know, cannot really explain.

And for the trucks, they do have kits too right? I'd prefer building to RTR, that way I'll know the truck better. For the kits I also just need batteries and no other accessories?

See what the kits come with>
basically you need a car/truck + esc + steering servo (ep) + Receiver and transmitter and batts + charger

Rtr (ready to run like the mini-t and inferno are cheaper to get in to rc unless you source for the kits and stuff for low end basic models)

Oh and how do I get to taising?

Its near Sultan Mosque
Can walk from Bugis Mrt or Lavender Mrt.
Bus i don't know cos i ride.
Hope this helps!
Old 01-16-2006, 05:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks alot of the help. I'd want more of outdoors/bashing so I guess the mini-z is out of my choice. Now its left to the 3. You mentioned the mini inferno's handling being different .. different as in more difficult or easier to control? I really don't know which to choose man .. but from the video I've seen, the cen mini madness really looks like just what i want. Is there anyone who tried the mini madness before? I think I'll do a search on the mini madness and see what people feel about it.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hi guys I've more or less decided on the mini madness. But well theres still time to think. Anyways from a review i read, the charger that comes with the mini madness is more of an "overnight charger" and a peak charger is recommended. Where can I get a decent peak charger and probably 1 or 2 more batt for the mini madness?
Old 01-17-2006, 07:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Wink Batts & chargers for mini madness

You can pick up these items from Tai Sing if you are intedning to purchase there. The folks there will recommend you what you need & your budget allows. Likewise for other LHS.

Have fun bashing around!
Old 01-17-2006, 07:07 PM
Tech Adept

you can also check out the "r/c stuff selling" thread, just saw quite a few 2nd hand chargers on sale

happy shopping!
Old 02-01-2006, 08:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

ok guys i just got the cen mini madness but I need some help. I'm kinda lost with the transmitter because they don't seem to have a manual for it. There are many buttons and I really dunno what they do.

1) + ST-D/R -
2) TH-TRIM
3) ST-TRIM
4) AUX

Then on the LCD screen theres

1) D/R
2) EPA
3) ARC
4) Model
5) SUB-T
6) REV
7) Batt

Another thing is that I read on another forum that theres a need to program the ESC. I'm really confused with all the controls on the transmitter and how do I program the ESC?

Thanks
Ryan
Old 02-01-2006, 09:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Have you tried checking their site??? Customer service perhaps??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.