Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree68Likes

Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 06:24 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DA_cookie_monst
at a guess, running your belt over tight would give you some strange handling problems. I think on my stock belts, I increased the tension on the rear one notch after the belts stretched.
if you run them over tight with out streching them they wont do anything except snap
Old 07-08-2006, 07:10 AM
Tech Regular

I'll tinker with the tension untill I get it right, but does anyone know what is causing my TA-05 to lose traction and oversteer a lot?
Old 07-08-2006, 09:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MK_Arbiter
I'll tinker with the tension untill I get it right, but does anyone know what is causing my TA-05 to lose traction and oversteer a lot?
you running dogbones on the front?

Also, if you run the rear belt to tight, it will cause the rear to step out a little turning in off-power. I have my rear belt a tiny bit tighter than the front, as under acceleration, the rear belt has more load on it.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

I have mod FK04 belt tensioner (#303070) into TA05. It works quite well. Those who have belt problem might like to give it a try.

The belt tensioner mount is TA05 servo mount, secured on top bulkhead.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan-img_0753s.jpg   Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan-img_0754s.jpg  
Old 07-08-2006, 09:41 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Darkseid
...... I'm running the blue aramid belts loose on my car so I have both my diffs at one notch "in". Thats about as loose as I'm willing to go.
Can you show me yours ? I still don't get it "one notch in". "In" from what ?

Here's mine with blue aramid. FR and RR
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan-fr-belt-tns.jpg   Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan-rr-belt-tns.jpg  
Old 07-08-2006, 09:44 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ttso
I have mod FK04 belt tensioner (#303070) into TA05. It works quite well. Those who have belt problem might like to give it a try.

The belt tensioner mount is TA05 servo mount, secured on top bulkhead.
Pretty nice fit ! .... I'll try mine on the rear 'cause it bubbles a lot when I pull the throttle without load (on the car stand)

Thanks for the idea

Last edited by akuhon; 07-08-2006 at 10:03 PM.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:07 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by akuhon
Can you show me yours ? I still don't get it "one notch in". "In" from what ?

Here's mine with blue aramid. FR and RR
Okay try this:

Look at your car from the side (either side, it doesn't matter). Consider the spur gear the "center" of the car while viewing it from the side. The diff adjusters have dots on them and the retainers have a tab that keeps everything in place. The stock set up has the dot two spaces "in" toward the "center" of the car from the tab. And moving the dots "in" more tightens the belts, while moving them "out" (away from "center") loosens them.

So with that in mind, my belts are only one space "in". Meaning the belts are looser than stock.

It really, REALLY helps to take a look at the belt adjustment portion of the manual (in the back of the manual) while your trying to under stand this.

I tried taking pics of it, but none of them turned out well. If you still don't get what I'm saying, the I'll try again tomorrow.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:37 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Darkseid
Okay try this:

Look at your car from the side (either side, it doesn't matter). Consider the spur gear the "center" of the car while viewing it from the side. The diff adjusters have dots on them and the retainers have a tab that keeps everything in place. The stock set up has the dot two spaces "in" toward the "center" of the car from the tab. And moving the dots "in" more tightens the belts, while moving them "out" (away from "center") loosens them.

So with that in mind, my belts are only one space "in". Meaning the belts are looser than stock.

It really, REALLY helps to take a look at the belt adjustment portion of the manual (in the back of the manual) while your trying to under stand this.

I tried taking pics of it, but none of them turned out well. If you still don't get what I'm saying, the I'll try again tomorrow.
Thx for the explanation.
I feel that for blue aramid using the setup from the manual book, is too tight. I don't inspect if it the same length as the stock belt or not.

Do you think, we should set this blue aramid the same way as the stock one ?

I set them just like on the pics. .. But then I notice, after running w/o load (a.k.a. hanging on the car stand), the rear belt bubbles a lot and the front is not .... So I think, the idea of tensioner is make sense. Just like in my old T1 Evo 2, adjuster and tensioner.

WHat do you think ? Have you experience the same ?
Old 07-09-2006, 01:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

What weight oils are you guys using. I use the stock shocks with trinity 55wt. and 1 hole piston. I have to use a red sway bar up front and the yellow in the rear,stock springs all around. I'm looking for a way to try and eliminate the sway bars and maintain the feel of sway bars. Thanks--Al
Old 07-09-2006, 07:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

I'm using stock belt from the day I got TA05, which is almost a year now. I'm using 3in on rear, 4in on front right now. For the whole lifetime of my TA05, I didn't have sngle belt problem somehow. Maybe just lucky, but I still install FK04 belt tensioner on rear recently just in case.

I put 0.7mm shim between bearing holder and CF plate. You might need to use different shim to fit your belt best.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by big al
What weight oils are you guys using. I use the stock shocks with trinity 55wt. and 1 hole piston. I have to use a red sway bar up front and the yellow in the rear,stock springs all around. I'm looking for a way to try and eliminate the sway bars and maintain the feel of sway bars. Thanks--Al
I don't run carpet, but last time my car is dialed It was front AE 60wt 3holes, rear AE 50wt 3holes, Xray white spring all around, and front red rollbar with no rollbar on rear.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:35 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by big al
I've been trying to set-up my car without the sway-bars and can't seem to get past winning the Expert Stock B-main, my car just rolls too much and doesn't transition quick enough. With some sway-bars, more track time and a bit of luck, I think I can make the A next time
Old 07-09-2006, 11:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 107 (99%+)

AL,

We made a big difference on my neighbors car by just going to the Tamiya yellow springs front and rear, two hole pistons and 40 wt associated oil, with the stock plastic shocks. No sway bars yet.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

We made a big difference on my neighbors car by just going to the Tamiya yellow springs front and rear, two hole pistons and 40 wt associated oil, with the stock plastic shocks. No sway bars yet.
Kevin,
Are you guys using the trf 2 hole pistons?? I have a set of yellows,but most of the guys around here were using white /blue or white/white (f/r),and the stock silvers are little harder than the yellows. I'm thinking that the harder springs may be key as this would give the car the quicker transition/less roll I'm looking for. Any input guys??-Al
Old 07-09-2006, 11:49 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I have a problem, I bought a rear front brigde plate (D) for the TA 05. It does not seem to fit flush with the chassis. is this the right one or do I need a different part number
Thanks
Rodney

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.