Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BMI's DB12R

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 05:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Very nice. So is the wheel base shorten? How would it handle if some one strapped a 4cell in it?

DK
Old 06-16-2009, 06:25 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

We tested short vs standard wheelbase and the standard seemed to be overall better so we kept the same wheelbase. 4 Cell works fine but you do lose your for and aft battery adjustment. You also have the option of running the humps up or down on the lipo. With the humps down, it is flush with the bottom of the chassis. The car worked extremely well with the lipo and 4 cell. More catered to the lipo though as far as weight placement goes. We also found a lighter spring setup works better for lipo. We tested both the blue and gold and they seemed to be the ticket.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:56 AM

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

[QUOTE=tdu verney;5917936]
Originally Posted by protc3
Hey guys,

I looked into the rear flex plate pivot housings and didnt find anything unusual about them. They are the same as they have always been and seem to be the same strength as our origionals. However, i will increase the wall thickness around the pivot balls being that there are some of you that are having problems with breakage. I will be making the new ones as of monday and will throw away the inventory i have now. The center pivot will not go through any changes as we found by strengthening it moved the breaking point to more expensive areas of the car. The rear pod took too much abuse when i beefed up the center pivot.

I was surprised to hear about this problem until it happened to me twice?
My research shows the fault is not the pivot housing but the set up! To light, and in a corner the rear slides the back end into the boards everytime with the new light weight 1s lipo.
For sure, without the weight of the 4 cells the back end unloads really quick and slams the rear wheel flat into the boards. The impact moves directly to the pivot ball in the housing. Believe me I've test the strenght of this car.
That may be it, I ONLY started breaking these once I put the LiPo in. hmm I thought dropping 6oz of weight would make parts less prone to breakage...
Old 06-16-2009, 07:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by protc3
We tested short vs standard wheelbase and the standard seemed to be overall better so we kept the same wheelbase. 4 Cell works fine but you do lose your for and aft battery adjustment. You also have the option of running the humps up or down on the lipo. With the humps down, it is flush with the bottom of the chassis. The car worked extremely well with the lipo and 4 cell. More catered to the lipo though as far as weight placement goes. We also found a lighter spring setup works better for lipo. We tested both the blue and gold and they seemed to be the ticket.
So this will only be an update instead of two diffrent cars. Cool.

Thanks
DK
Old 06-16-2009, 07:25 AM
Tech Lord

The way it will be sold as just a chassis plate and will cost the same as the standard,or you can order your car with the lipo or standard chassis. When purchased in a kit the price will be the same reguardless of which you choose. So in a nutshell, if you are looking to purchase a car, you wont need to buy the car then add a chassis. You can get it any way you want it.

The chassis plates are actually coming off the machine complete today. They are now available if you guys would like to call in your order. Otherwise i will have them on the website tommorow. Thanks for your patience guys.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:57 AM
Tech Master

so what lipo do i need to buy that will fit in that chassis??

..sorry im a gas offroad guys
Old 06-16-2009, 10:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

Looks great Jason, should be very helpfull for those going to the IIC, Some questions, you said in testing you were going to the blue or gold spring, was this on carpet or asphalt or both. And what tire combo did you test; I've been finding that changing form yellows to dpl pink in the rear on med/high bite carpet really helped but thats with the black center spring.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:42 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by chris moore
Looks great Jason, should be very helpfull for those going to the IIC, Some questions, you said in testing you were going to the blue or gold spring, was this on carpet or asphalt or both. And what tire combo did you test; I've been finding that changing form yellows to dpl pink in the rear on med/high bite carpet really helped but thats with the black center spring.

Testing was done on both surfaces. I ran a blue spring on asphalt and on lower bite carpet and the gold in high traction. I am partial to the yellow rears for carpet but i guess it really depends on the track.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:42 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by punkracer24
so what lipo do i need to buy that will fit in that chassis??

..sorry im a gas offroad guys
We based it off the SMC
Old 06-16-2009, 11:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

Thanks for the info Jason, I was on high grip black ozite carpet and the rear just felt too locked in. I thought agout changing the shock oil/spring combo but was running aout of time before the main, Mabey I'll have more time to try some combos next time.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:38 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by chris moore
Thanks for the info Jason, I was on high grip black ozite carpet and the rear just felt too locked in. I thought agout changing the shock oil/spring combo but was running aout of time before the main, Mabey I'll have more time to try some combos next time.
The black center shock spring is gonna lock the rear end down. I would stiffen your center spring. The softer the center spring, the more rear grip your gonna get.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:19 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Looks great Jason! I was curious. With the LiPo pocket milled into the chassis, is there a noticeable increase in chassis flex or is it no different because the slots are shorter vs the standard 12RR chassis?
This chassis just might get me to try LiPo in 1/12 scale.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:55 PM
Tech Lord

The chassis is still very rigid. Between the shorter cell slots and the stiff bracing, there is no difference in rigidity from the standard 4 cell chassis.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:59 AM
Tech Champion

Are the shorter chassis slots short enough to not need the battery locator for round cells? In comparison to the current chassis where is the battery positioned for round cells?
Old 06-17-2009, 06:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Guys, I'm going to be buying the DB12RR Lipo kit soon and I was wondering what a good starting point would be for the shock oil and damper lube weights. The car will be run on medium bite carpet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.