Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever... >

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2923Likes

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 06:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I know but I know myself. I'd buy an FGX and then an F113 and make a custom chassis to have the ultimate f1 car with full suspension or buy 2 FGX and reverse the rear suspension.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:45 PM
Tech Elite

I'm no expert but I bet a top guy would take an FGX and whoop up on rear link cars with solid axles. I realize modern cars are a far cry from yesteryear but a solid axle can't do what a full suspension can. The undulation and ability to shift COG means it should out do a solid axle car which according to the laws of physics will break traction before a moving suspension.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:58 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by the incubus
Well I smoked pan cars on all types of surfaces and they couldn't keep up. I ran their exact same bolink foam slicks with the same tire sauce and ran a big bus's rear wing.
Only if you were running a modified motor and they were running stock. With equal motors and batteries on a good surface a pan car is much faster.

I'm no expert but I bet a top guy would take an FGX and whoop up on rear link cars with solid axles. I realize modern cars are a far cry from yesteryear but a solid axle can't do what a full suspension can. The undulation and ability to shift COG means it should out do a solid axle car which according to the laws of physics will break traction before a moving suspension.
A top guy would do that no matter what the car. That is not a valid comparison. On a good surface pan cars don't break traction. As for COG, the COG is significantly lower on a pan car giving it the advantage. To get a proper comparison you need drivers of equal skill using the same motors and batteries. If you have that, on a good surface a pan car will win every time.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:15 PM
Tech Elite

COG would be the same because the ride height would be adjusted to ensure as such. There's no need to run any higher than span car if the track is flawless. You adjust and lower accordingly. I'd LOVE to see a 10 run shootout between a pan car and a full suspension car with all else being equal, and my money would be on the guy that's not running a pan car.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I would have to agree with InspGadgt. The power to weight ratio and power transfer of the pan car would destroy the FGX.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:09 PM
Tech Adept

In my experience the drivetrain is more of a limiting factor than weight with the fgx platform. The internal ratio is 2.71:1 where the solid axle is obviously 1:1. people are converting their fgx chassis to belt which helps but the new internal gear ratio isn't that much better at 2.5:1. Most are very limited with gearing choice as well. I know from first hand experience that a slimmed down independent suspension chassis can be just as fast if not faster than a solid axle car at a smooth large track like Tamiya
Old 06-03-2014, 10:02 PM
Tech Champion

COG would be the same because the ride height would be adjusted to ensure as such. There's no need to run any higher than span car if the track is flawless. You adjust and lower accordingly. I'd LOVE to see a 10 run shootout between a pan car and a full suspension car with all else being equal, and my money would be on the guy that's not running a pan car.
CG has so much more involved in it than just ride height. A buggy has a higher transmission, higher shock towers, taller and heavier shocks, some have an upper deck, the motor mounts higher, the wheels/tires are taller, the spur gear mounts higher, and I'm sure I'm missing something else. All of that is going to raise the CG of the car.

I've been a race director for around 20 years now and a racer longer than that. I've held mixed class races and raced in them. I own a FGX, a SP-1, a F104W, and have owned every Tamiya F1 chassis from the old F102 to present, including the 4wd fully independent suspension F201...heck I even started racing on one of those old Bolink cars you mentioned...and through all that, so long as the grip level was good and given equal drivers, batteries, and motors...the pan car wins almost every time. When the grip level gets more on the marginal side then the 4wd touring car has the advantage.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Good day!

The trimmed sidepods sit well on the custom monocoque chassis. I just need a few adjustments though.

Cheers!

JC
Old 06-03-2014, 10:04 PM
Tech Champion

Looking good JC...can't wait to see the finished product!
Old 06-03-2014, 10:09 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

It's been done at my old local track and my new local track. (Norcal Hobbies)

There is a driver who I can consider to have better skills than I do. But he has ran his FGX and struggles against the solid axle cars. The old track was really smooth and the new track is somewhat smooth, but it just cannot hang with the solid axle cars. If it was a lot bumpier and lower traction, the FGX will have the advantage. He also had a TOP Rebel F1 and he was much faster once he started running it.

You may believe what you want but the FGX's weight and gearbox drag is a real disadvantage when motors are equal and grip is high. We all run blinky 21.5 by the way...
Old 06-03-2014, 10:56 PM
Tech Adept

Does anyone know, what Tamia or Fascolor blue is the right one for tamiyas Jordan J191?

Edit: also, what is the lighter green used on top of the sidepods?

Last edited by Acid_CZ; 06-03-2014 at 11:50 PM.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Acid_CZ
Does anyone know, what Tamia or Fascolor blue is the right one for tamiyas Jordan J191?
Tamiya PS-25 Park Green and PS-30 Brilliant Blue are the two colors for the 7-Up Jordan 191 paint scheme.

Panda
Old 06-04-2014, 01:10 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

hey everyone, if anyones interested my serpent f110 is for sale

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...t-f110-f1.html

thank you all.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:37 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
Tamiya PS-25 Park Green and PS-30 Brilliant Blue are the two colors for the 7-Up Jordan 191 paint scheme.

Panda
Thank you. PS25 is the darker one, but what is the lighter green? It is not part of the decal sheet as i hoped
Old 06-04-2014, 09:37 AM
Tech Addict

Independent suspension also has more adjustments, so more chance to get it wrong.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.