Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree9Likes

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 02:47 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

How's it going SCTE owners! I really could use some help with set up on this rig. This will be used at the track and not for bashing. I'll write up my info as best as possible, so you can see what I'm after as far as creating a good starting base line set up. I talked to a few fellow racers and AKA City Blocks Seemed to work best for all the 4wd SCTs. Smaller class (just blowing up here) so there really isn't anyone I can ask for set ups (yet) hence this post. again; just looking for some personal advice/opinions on set up for my application(s). Any tweeks here and there would be much appreciated. Here's the details;

Truck: TEN-SCTE

Aftermarket Parts added:
TLR TFT Chassis, TLR Torque Bar, TLR Carbon Fiber 4mm Front & Rear Shock towers, ACER Full Ceramic Bearing Kit, TLR: Hard Anodized shock bodies, bleeder caps, & collars, Ti-Ni front & rear shock shafts, Ti-Ni Hindge Pin set, Front & rear HD lightened outdrives, Alum clamping wheels hexes, Hard Anodized pivit ball set, Ti King Pins, Hard Anodized steering posts & servo saver tube, and Tekno RC M6 HD lightened driveshaft set, Lunsford Ti Turnbuckles and a few misc CF pieces through out the truck to help with the weight. I pretty much stayed away from the aluminum parts to try and save on weight/money. I figure spares would be a good choice. Do you see anything that I didn't mention that I should really consider? Not really interested in the Xtreme RC Carbon Chassis or the new MIP application. Although, that full carbon fiber chassis does look pretty sweet!

Electronics Using:
ESC: Team Orion R8 Pro 180A
Motor: Team Orion 4.5T 550 Vortex (~4100kv)
Servo: Futaba S9353HV
Batteries: Team Orion 2s/90c/6500mAh Carbon Pro Lipo's
T/X & R/X: Spektrum DX3R Pro w/SR3520 Micro RX

Driving Style:
Aggressive, heavy throttle, 51% Smooth

Track Layout:
Very Loomy to Loomy, Very bumpy to bumpy, Dry w/lots of dust, average temp ~60-70degrees, Tight and technical, sweeps, few doubles, large table, little ruts w/misc small rocks here and there. Very Loose track. 4wd SCT & 1/8 Truggy handle it the best due to how heavy they are. ~5,000 square feet, low traction & very open. Hope this helps.

Pics for ref:
Aroara Forum Photo Section

Basic Set Up I was thinking about using:
Front Shocks - 50wt, Standard Springs (Black/Mediums/Stock Kit Springs), 4 Hole Stock Pistons. Eh?

Rear Shocks - 40wt, Standard Springs (Black/Mediums/Stock Kit Springs), 4 Hole Stock Pistons. Eh?

Diffs: Front:10K * Center:10K * Rear: 2K Eh?

Gearing: 16-17T/40T Mod1

Thats really all I got... I assume the stock sway bars that come with the kit will be used as well. I could always pick up the sway bar kits to play with a little. I wanted to utalize the manuals set up sheet for a starting point but it really looks like it's set up for a indoor & smooth track. I would like any fellow racers opinions on what a decent base line set up to run with from what you just read above. Please use this ref below to "plug in" and write what you would use as far as set up goes if you were to race (not bash) on this track, my equipment and my driving style just based from what you read. I thank you for taking the time and effort to help me with my set up, you guys are the pro's and know this truck inside and out, so your recomendations will be greatly appreciated!

Side Note: This reference will also help me determine what else I need to order up or pick up from my LHS.

Front End
Sway Bar:
Piston:
Shock Oil:
Spring:
Front Diff Fluid:

Center Diff Fluid:

Rear End
Sway Bar:
Piston:
Shock Oil:
Spring:
Rear Diff Fluid:

Misc:
1)Gearing: 16T or 17T ok for that 4.5T Orion 550 Motor?
2)Tires: City Blocks in SOFT or SUPER SOFT
3)Recomended Spares Needed?
4)Other aftermarket/upgrades that would help improve the performance/weight with this rig?

Thanks everyone. I excited to be a new SCTE owner.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:07 AM
Tech Addict

How did you arrive at the front 50wt, rear 40wt shock oil / 10-10-2 diff oil conclusions ?
Old 10-23-2012, 04:51 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Your shock oil is going to be way to thick unless you make new holes in your pistons or get new springs. Id go with a 30 32.5
Old 10-23-2012, 06:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CNTRFLD
How's it going SCTE owners! I really could use some help with set up on this rig. This will be used at the track and not for bashing. I'll write up my info as best as possible, so you can see what I'm after as far as creating a good starting base line set up. I talked to a few fellow racers and AKA City Blocks Seemed to work best for all the 4wd SCTs. Smaller class (just blowing up here) so there really isn't anyone I can ask for set ups (yet) hence this post. again; just looking for some personal advice/opinions on set up for my application(s). Any tweeks here and there would be much appreciated. Here's the details;

Truck: TEN-SCTE

Aftermarket Parts added:
TLR TFT Chassis, TLR Torque Bar, TLR Carbon Fiber 4mm Front & Rear Shock towers, ACER Full Ceramic Bearing Kit, TLR: Hard Anodized shock bodies, bleeder caps, & collars, Ti-Ni front & rear shock shafts, Ti-Ni Hindge Pin set, Front & rear HD lightened outdrives, Alum clamping wheels hexes, Hard Anodized pivit ball set, Ti King Pins, Hard Anodized steering posts & servo saver tube, and Tekno RC M6 HD lightened driveshaft set, Lunsford Ti Turnbuckles and a few misc CF pieces through out the truck to help with the weight. I pretty much stayed away from the aluminum parts to try and save on weight/money. I figure spares would be a good choice. Do you see anything that I didn't mention that I should really consider? Not really interested in the Xtreme RC Carbon Chassis or the new MIP application. Although, that full carbon fiber chassis does look pretty sweet!

Electronics Using:
ESC: Team Orion R8 Pro 180A
Motor: Team Orion 4.5T 550 Vortex (~4100kv)
Servo: Futaba S9353HV
Batteries: Team Orion 2s/90c/6500mAh Carbon Pro Lipo's
T/X & R/X: Spektrum DX3R Pro w/SR3520 Micro RX

Driving Style:
Aggressive, heavy throttle, 51% Smooth

Track Layout:
Very Loomy to Loomy, Very bumpy to bumpy, Dry w/lots of dust, average temp ~60-70degrees, Tight and technical, sweeps, few doubles, large table, little ruts w/misc small rocks here and there. Very Loose track. 4wd SCT & 1/8 Truggy handle it the best due to how heavy they are. ~5,000 square feet, low traction & very open. Hope this helps.

Pics for ref:
Aroara Forum Photo Section

Basic Set Up I was thinking about using:
Front Shocks - 50wt, Standard Springs (Black/Mediums/Stock Kit Springs), 4 Hole Stock Pistons. Eh?

Rear Shocks - 40wt, Standard Springs (Black/Mediums/Stock Kit Springs), 4 Hole Stock Pistons. Eh?

Diffs: Front:10K * Center:10K * Rear: 2K Eh?

Gearing: 16-17T/40T Mod1

Thats really all I got... I assume the stock sway bars that come with the kit will be used as well. I could always pick up the sway bar kits to play with a little. I wanted to utalize the manuals set up sheet for a starting point but it really looks like it's set up for a indoor & smooth track. I would like any fellow racers opinions on what a decent base line set up to run with from what you just read above. Please use this ref below to "plug in" and write what you would use as far as set up goes if you were to race (not bash) on this track, my equipment and my driving style just based from what you read. I thank you for taking the time and effort to help me with my set up, you guys are the pro's and know this truck inside and out, so your recomendations will be greatly appreciated!

Side Note: This reference will also help me determine what else I need to order up or pick up from my LHS.

Front End
Sway Bar:
Piston:
Shock Oil:
Spring:
Front Diff Fluid:

Center Diff Fluid:

Rear End
Sway Bar:
Piston:
Shock Oil:
Spring:
Rear Diff Fluid:

Misc:
4)Other aftermarket/upgrades that would help improve the performance/weight with this rig?

Thanks everyone. I excited to be a new SCTE owner.
This is a good base setup:

http://www.losi.com/ProdInfo/Files/L...ford-02_12.pdf

You will need the piston, swaybar and spring kit also.

I would go with the pro4 4600/rx8 setup. 13-14 t pinion. You are trying to save weight and the pro4 is lighter than the 550 motor. Also the tekno driveshafts are heavier than stock. Yes they are more durable but the stock driveshafts last fairly well. Titanium turnbuckles are a win/win as they're lighter and more durable. Spares: arms and rear hubs if using stock plastic hubs.
I would get the TLR tuning kit, hd outdrives, springs and swaybars, shock pistons, and aftermarket chassis and drive the wheels off of it. That's all you really need to make this truck fly.

Last edited by rcgod; 10-23-2012 at 07:01 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

CNTRFLD if any thing.... I run on the same kind of track. if this helps cool if not take notes have fun
heavy sway bar front, lightest say bar in back. I used shozworks valves for my shocks and 37 w oils, black springs front and orange in back. small plastic braces front and rear. gridiron tires or enduro's with super soft compounds. Chris;s battery tray holder and his shims in diffs. using pro long grease in all three diffs. its rated at 25.000 w works for me with no leak problems. BCE chassis .. other then shock locations... which is up to you and your driving style for traction and handling. built shocks with no rebound and cut the bladders... have fun

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread-5-4-2012-005.jpg

Last edited by chucko; 10-23-2012 at 07:26 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Parts look good,
Setup eh? Don think the truck will turn with 50 weight and 10k and 10k,
I think I would move to 35front And 30 rear and 3k,5k,3k, think this will help the truck rotate better, I went to thicker diff fluid up front and lost turn in.
Try starting with a known working setup from the Team drivers and adjust from there, they spend every othe day on this truck and have experience that frankly I will never achieve, then play from there.
Also Tekno center drive shafts
Old 10-23-2012, 07:49 AM
Tech Addict

Best bet is to try out Aaron Lanes or Ryan Dunfords setup exactly either one of these will get u in the ballpark.You really don't need all the hopups just the tlr kit maybe a few others.Just put down laps as much as possible and you'll get there.With one of these setups in your truck you can focus on track time.Also really important more important than hopups is the track tire.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:01 AM
dtr
Tech Master

Originally Posted by CNTRFLD
Track Layout:
Misc:
1. That gearing is on the high side for the motor on a technical track, 14 or 15 would be better.
3. The LOSA6140 screw kit often came handy, I also recommend a front spindle&carrier set.
4. Left threaded screws for mounting the right front and left rear shocks on the arms (LOSA6284) prevent the losing the original screws. These are made for the 8ight, so you can cut them shorter to match the length of the originals. The TLR8060 high performance body improves aerodynamics, reducing parachuting and wind sensitivity.

As others have noted your oils are very thick. 3/3/2 or 5/5/3 is what I like on low bite rough tracks, shocks are 30 (temps are about 80) front and rear, pistons 3 front and 4 rear, chamfered on the bottom side to fasten rebound, black front and orange rear springs.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:06 PM
Tech Addict

I finally got my shock oil in the mail. Anyone got a good link (video/text) on how to best change shock oil ?
Old 10-23-2012, 01:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pygmy
I finally got my shock oil in the mail. Anyone got a good link (video/text) on how to best change shock oil ?
Check YouTube.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

a buddy of mine just bought a truck from amain and there is no sticker on the battery tray (indicating it's an updated model). did they stop putting the stickers on?
Old 10-23-2012, 02:25 PM
Tech Regular

Theres a sticker on some of them?
Old 10-23-2012, 02:25 PM
dtr
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Pygmy
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:50 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by RC*PHREAK
a buddy of mine just bought a truck from amain and there is no sticker on the battery tray (indicating it's an updated model). did they stop putting the stickers on?
Mine didn't have a sticker on the battery tray (bought it 5 weeks ago). Was I supposed to have one ?
Old 10-23-2012, 03:55 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

mine didnt either and i bought mine a year ago

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.