Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree18Likes

Xray NT1

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 03:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by teamgp
I had one of the first production kits with the same type of problem.

Until I found out that I had to re-adjust the two speed shoe set screws to just the right amount of space in between both shoes and the outer aluminum housing.

Once I learned how to set that right, the original XRAY 2 speed springs have always worked consistently and with longevity.
Yeah once I've set the center set screws correctly I have not had any shifting issues while using the stock springs. Never really ran into an issue with the 2 speed on any track I've been to
Old 02-25-2008, 03:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by MHarrison
Wow, Happy to see I'm not the ony one considering a taller 2nd gear.
Running the Picco based motors at Kissim. Fl. KIlls me . these motors don't like to rev. super high, like the Nova Based motors.
that's odd, Picco's are generally high revving motors, while Novarossi's have more torque.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

rookiesrookieslol
Old 02-26-2008, 01:18 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by D-nicest
that's odd, Picco's are generally high revving motors, while Novarossi's have more torque.

i think it's the other way around. engines such as nova are usually more revvy, whilst the picco is a torque engine so naturally, it produces power in the lower revs, hence is not a rev engine.

obviously it all depends on the internal porting and stroke, long or short.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

No, You have it backwards.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:09 AM
Tech Regular

Yeah once I've set the center set screws correctly I have not had any shifting issues while using the stock springs. Never really ran into an issue with the 2 speed on any track I've been to
How do you guys set it then?
Old 02-26-2008, 09:23 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by _cyclops_
Setting up 2speed ideally need two person, one is driving the car, and one is in the pit.

1). Set the gap ( 0.2mm ) between the clutch shoes by turning the middle screw. Make sure the 2speed clutch can rotate freely inside the 2nd gear housing.

2). Start adjusting the left & right 2speed screws equally by 15minutes increments. You want the first gear to scream for about 2 seconds long, and then switch into second gear. The switch should not happening when you are about to enter a corner.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:40 PM
Tech Elite

Here is how I set the 2 speed shoe gap:

1. Place the car (with wheels mounted on the left side only) on its left side. The gears should be facing up.
2. Take the clip, 1st gear assembly, 2nd gear assembly and 2 speed shoe off of the layshaft
3. Use a sharpie to mark each half of the shoe (I label them A and B)
4. Loosen the set screws on each half until there is no gap in between each halve of the shoe
5. Place the 2nd gear assembly housing on the layshaft upside down so that you can see the inside of the aluminum housing
6. Place the shoe on the layshaft. It should slide into the 2nd gear aluminum housing.
7. Lightly spin the 2nd gear. The shoe should not spin at all and you should be able to see the gap between it and the aluminum housing.
8. Now, repeat the following for each shoe half one at a time:
-- a) Take the 2nd gear assembly and shoe off of the layshaft
-- b) Tighten the set screw 1/4 turn on the shoe half that you are working on
-- c) Place the 2nd gear assembly housing on the layshaft upside down and then the shoe again
-- d) Spin the 2nd gear. If the shoe doesn't move, then repeat steps a) thru d). If the shoe does move, then go on to step e)
-- e) Take the 2nd gear assembly and shoe off of the layshaft
-- f) Loosen the set screw 1/8 turn and repeat steps a) thru d). However, this time the shoe should not move and the gap should be close to .2mm. This is what you want. Make sure that both shoe halves are set to have approximately .2mm gap and that the shoe does not move when you spin the 2nd gear assembly as above.
9. Take the upside down 2nd gear assembly and shoe off of the layshaft and re-install everything correctly.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:26 AM
Tech Adept

Default New middle shaft

Xray NT1-dsc00101.jpg

Xray NT1-dsc00102.jpg

The new opt. middle shaft with ultra low weight...
Old 02-27-2008, 10:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

ybslow middle shaft weighs 3 grams
Old 02-27-2008, 10:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by YBSLOW
pm sent
Old 02-27-2008, 12:43 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by teamgp
Here is how I set the 2 speed shoe gap:

1. Place the car (with wheels mounted on the left side only) on its left side. The gears should be facing up.
2. Take the clip, 1st gear assembly, 2nd gear assembly and 2 speed shoe off of the layshaft
3. Use a sharpie to mark each half of the shoe (I label them A and B)
4. Loosen the set screws on each half until there is no gap in between each halve of the shoe
5. Place the 2nd gear assembly housing on the layshaft upside down so that you can see the inside of the aluminum housing
6. Place the shoe on the layshaft. It should slide into the 2nd gear aluminum housing.
7. Lightly spin the 2nd gear. The shoe should not spin at all and you should be able to see the gap between it and the aluminum housing.
8. Now, repeat the following for each shoe half one at a time:
-- a) Take the 2nd gear assembly and shoe off of the layshaft
-- b) Tighten the set screw 1/4 turn on the shoe half that you are working on
-- c) Place the 2nd gear assembly housing on the layshaft upside down and then the shoe again
-- d) Spin the 2nd gear. If the shoe doesn't move, then repeat steps a) thru d). If the shoe does move, then go on to step e)
-- e) Take the 2nd gear assembly and shoe off of the layshaft
-- f) Loosen the set screw 1/8 turn and repeat steps a) thru d). However, this time the shoe should not move and the gap should be close to .2mm. This is what you want. Make sure that both shoe halves are set to have approximately .2mm gap and that the shoe does not move when you spin the 2nd gear assembly as above.
9. Take the upside down 2nd gear assembly and shoe off of the layshaft and re-install everything correctly.

Great explaining!

It seems to me you just make the gap as small as possible! thanks for the pointers!
Old 02-27-2008, 02:40 PM
Tech Elite

Great explaining!

It seems to me you just make the gap as small as possible! thanks for the pointers!
No problem. That's what we're here for.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by YBSLOW
Old 02-27-2008, 08:38 PM
Tech Regular

Are they any good hobby shops in the San Francisco area that sell hopups for the NT1? I'll be passing through for a few days next week. Be great to pick up a few goodies for the NT1.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.