Community
Wiki Posts
Search

On road engine at GT car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 10:33 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Grinder
Modifications are allowed. As long as the engine still conforms to the rules.
For those of you that want to keep up with the Factory guys...........You need to talk to Uriah Murnan.......That's all I can say....
Old 05-21-2014, 10:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Coming to get you lil' andy.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Flyin Hawaiian1
For those of you that want to keep up with the Factory guys...........You need to talk to Uriah Murnan.......That's all I can say....
Oh WOW really?
Old 05-21-2014, 04:28 PM
Tech Initiate

Default fact

That's a fact jack
Old 05-21-2014, 06:22 PM
Tech Elite

Talking

So you're saying the factory guys all run mm's? Or to try to catch them with what they're using you need a mm's? That's all I'm asking.....someone once told me it's all in the set-up.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:16 AM
Tech Regular

any comments if i were to install with a Reds Racing M7 WCS?
Old 08-23-2014, 07:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xscape
any comments if i were to install with a Reds Racing M7 WCS?
I've seen racers run the M7 in the GT, but they were looking for a larger heat sink, as the airflow in the GT body is not nearly as good as an 1/8 open.. Reds engine needs to run cooler that a novarossi.

I have a 5R that I will have available for ROAR rule events, so 5 ports and 7mm restrictor.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:36 PM
Tech Elite

So to comply with ROAR rules on an engine it has to be a bone stock not tuned version 5port? Or any modifications with a 6mm venturi?
Old 08-29-2014, 03:34 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Pit-racer
So to comply with ROAR rules on an engine it has to be a bone stock not tuned version 5port? Or any modifications with a 6mm venturi?
Up to ANY .21 5 port engines with 7mm venturi or smaller.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:27 AM
Tech Lord

Up to ANY .21 5 port engines with 7mm venturi or smaller.
Crazy rule.....

So you can buy a stock 5 port engine, let it modify for high costs, put in some expensive ceramic bearings while for the same price you can get a Virtus......
Old 09-23-2014, 12:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof
Crazy rule.....

So you can buy a stock 5 port engine, let it modify for high costs, put in some expensive ceramic bearings while for the same price you can get a Virtus......
Theres no need for ceramic bearings to run Gt!
Old 09-23-2014, 06:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Crazy rule.....

I agree with you it's not a great rule... Jose is right we don't need ceramics in a GT but we do run modified engines for sure. And they are crazy fast engines weather it's Murnan or Clockworks.
Some GT racers run non modified high end 5 port engines such as the RB BXR DI5 which is a monster powerhouse or screamers like the REDS 5 port but they still are disadvantaged compared to guys who can use the potential of a modified engine.
In my opinion this rule does not even-up the field, because it requires more knowledge to run a modified (or very fast) 5 port engine efficiently and not everyone has that knowledge nor is willing to incur the cost of sending their engine out.
At the end of the day it's great to have strict rules for everyone to comply with, but I'm not a fan of this one because it doesn't serve the purpose is was created for. For one it doesn't keep us from running ballistic engines and also there is still a big variety of engines on the track. In my opinion, the IGT8F spec rules had some great ideas but the GT8 field is not big enough right now to separate "open" and "spec"...
Just my 2 cents
Old 09-23-2014, 10:57 AM
Tech Lord

Sure you do not have to run ceramics as this counts for more than 90% of the drivers in any competition. But look on these forums, even a starter asking which engine to buy shall be informed to get a Murnan. Also a lot of drivers "feel" they do need ceramics as also the same group of drivers still think 9 poorts are needed to go faster than a 5 port not knowing the the real reason what makes an engine fast.

Such rules are normally to lower the costs and make the performance more equal. A nice but bad thought if a modify to the extreeme is alowed....
Old 09-23-2014, 11:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Sure you do not have to run ceramics as this counts for more than 90% of the drivers in any competition. But look on these forums, even a starter asking which engine to buy shall be informed to get a Murnan. Also a lot of drivers "feel" they do need ceramics as also the same group of drivers still think 9 poorts are needed to go faster than a 5 port not knowing the the real reason what makes an engine fast.

Such rules are normally to lower the costs and make the performance more equal. A nice but bad thought if a modify to the extreeme is alowed....
Agreed. Yes telling a starter to get a modified engine will only help him get frustrated I'm sure since he/she will either blow it or put the car straight into the boards.
To be honest I'm still doing a lot of reading about what makes an engine fast. From what I read/heard there are many things such as timing and balancing on the crankshaft, position of the sleeve and height of the ports and exhaust ports, size of the ports and of course pipe and header choice.
Still not exactly sure what exactly does what. Only thing I really noticed is that with the silicone ramp in crankshaft the engine spools up faster and is more reactive. And even then the timing had probably been altered on top of adding a silicone ramp so not sure of the exact contribution of the silicone ramp compared to timing...
Is true that a modified 5 port is just as fast if not faster than any 9 port I have (I tested this only in GT, for 8th scale I don't know).
About your last point, I agree. This is exactly why this rule is useless. At the end of the day it's really difficult to control the engines, unless they are sealed and hand out at the event. lol
Old 09-23-2014, 02:36 PM
Tech Adept

Wink

Originally Posted by Joe Kimble
Agreed. Yes telling a starter to get a modified engine will only help him get frustrated I'm sure since he/she will either blow it or put the car straight into the boards.
To be honest I'm still doing a lot of reading about what makes an engine fast. From what I read/heard there are many things such as timing and balancing on the crankshaft, position of the sleeve and height of the ports and exhaust ports, size of the ports and of course pipe and header choice.
Still not exactly sure what exactly does what. Only thing I really noticed is that with the silicone ramp in crankshaft the engine spools up faster and is more reactive. And even then the timing had probably been altered on top of adding a silicone ramp so not sure of the exact contribution of the silicone ramp compared to timing...
Is true that a modified 5 port is just as fast if not faster than any 9 port I have (I tested this only in GT, for 8th scale I don't know).
About your last point, I agree. This is exactly why this rule is useless. At the end of the day it's really difficult to control the engines, unless they are sealed and hand out at the event. lol
Agreed. The silicone helps but the power generally comes from the alignment of crank timing to sleeve/piston matching...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.