Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Prototype ESC's  - ROAR, Legal, Fair, Sportsmanship, Opinions? >

Prototype ESC's - ROAR, Legal, Fair, Sportsmanship, Opinions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Prototype ESC's - ROAR, Legal, Fair, Sportsmanship, Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 02:07 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

so the top team drivers don't get the legal battery with the best numbers /the legal motor that dyno's the best, um ok
Old 09-16-2009, 02:08 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dondor

ps.. i love EA's statements )
Most people hate my statements!

EA
Old 09-16-2009, 02:09 PM
Tech Legend

Yes , just insults , no content , non topic....
Old 09-16-2009, 02:10 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JayL
so the top team drivers don't get the legal battery with the best numbers /the legal motor that dyno's the best, um ok
Batteries are not even cycled anymore by manufactures and motors are all so close its not enough of a difference for 99% of drivers to notice anyway.

Next time your at a race I am at feel free to go buy a new battery out of the shop just like I am running and I'll GLADLY trade you the one out of my car or any in my box...same with Motors.

Maybe 10 years ago there was a difference but not now......MYTH!

EA
Old 09-16-2009, 02:11 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

As for this esc, I have not been able to find anyone actually selling it. It doesn't seem to be commercially available yet to me.

As for wanting to buy one, not unless it's upgradeable for free. Otherwise I'll run Tekins and be a bit off the pace for a week or two until a new software version comes out. I'm not buying a speedo that can be obsoleted overnight with no hope of getting back to a competitive level. But that's just me
Old 09-16-2009, 02:33 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
I think he means does it have to be for sale in the US or can it be a European product that you can buy. I am pretty sure the answer is that it has to be avail through a US based distributor.

EA
yep.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez
yep.
In the past this rule has been snuck around by releasing an extremely small number (often less than 10) of said product to the host track 14 days before the race, often with incomplete packaging, missing manuals, etc. Does this situation still meet ROAR's definition of "readily available"?
Old 09-16-2009, 03:00 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JayL
This is why the fast drivers are so fast.Some are OK drivers but the A-main push is provided by better equipment.

Originally Posted by wingracer
As for this esc, I have not been able to find anyone actually selling it. It doesn't seem to be commercially available yet to me.

As for wanting to buy one, not unless it's upgradeable for free. Otherwise I'll run Tekins and be a bit off the pace for a week or two until a new software version comes out. I'm not buying a speedo that can be obsoleted overnight with no hope of getting back to a competitive level. But that's just me
New software should be available to everyone 14 days before the event as well.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:06 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
New software should be available to everyone 14 days before the event as well.
I agree to a point,

In the case of Tekin and the IIC specifically Randy showed up netbook and hotwire in hand and had a line by his little corner the remainder of the weekend.

I had mine for any of the Speed Passion guys that needed it and any privateers that asked.

I think if there is a representative present willing and able to do said updates there shouldn't be a problem as long as it's made available to all the users of the products not "just" team drivers.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

There will always be loopholes that someone can go through. It's racing, just look at F1, Nascar, Le Mans...you name it. You can only make the rules to govern some aspects of racing, you just can't catch everything.

Even at the highest level of RC racing, there are discrepancies. Look at the 12th scale worlds, Yokomo has these magical tires that know one else in the world has, and they keep winning with it. Is that fair? It's been years and years that IFMAR knew this, and no one took action.

I'm just saying, it's part of racing, and once you get THAT good in driving, you'll have the same "factory" stuff also. Until then, I'm finishing behind a factory driver.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez
If you ran in stock with this homemade shock tower, yes. It should have been disallowed as per ROAR rule: 12.4.3 Vehicles, parts, and accessories used in Stock electric classes must be readily available through retail outlets at least 14 days prior to the event.

Although, I have witnessed rather light application to that rule in years past and I'm very sure this past year has seen significantly stricter applications and will be even more strict with one final national this year and next year's events.
Dawn - IMO, I think you'll (ROAR) should review this rule and extend the 14-day period to at least 60-days, preferably 90-days. You have situations where new equipment may come into a LHS or online hobbyshop, and it may take them 5-10 days just to get it entered into the computer and available for sale, especially the online hobbyshops. A 14-day period just does not seem long enough to tell the real picture of public availability, as stated this can be defeated with backordering, delayed shipments, etc... and if the rule does not take this into account, the rule has no meaning.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

At the event vs 14 days:

At the event is nice but it doesn't really give you much time to practice and experiment with whatever it is that is new be it equipment or software. 14 days would at least give you a couple weeks to practice with it.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:17 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by abailey21
I agree to a point,

In the case of Tekin and the IIC specifically Randy showed up netbook and hotwire in hand and had a line by his little corner the remainder of the weekend.

I had mine for any of the Speed Passion guys that needed it and any privateers that asked.

I think if there is a representative present willing and able to do said updates there shouldn't be a problem as long as it's made available to all the users of the products not "just" team drivers.
This makes sense in a way. I am sure the Tekin cusotmers will be taken care of. But think about the problem with the new speedo.

Let's say the other ESC did not exist and that Tekin had a new program that did exactly what this other ESC did. Those with Tekin ESCs would be well off, but those that showed up with other stuff would be out of luck. But if the customer had known that the Tekin program would be available 14 days before the event, they would be able to plan to acquire the ESC and take advantage of the new program.

To me, showing up at the race with a newly programmed Tekin is not much different than showing up with a new ESC.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kn7671
Dawn - IMO, I think you'll (ROAR) should review this rule and extend the 14-day period to at least 60-days, preferably 90-days. You have situations where new equipment may come into a LHS or online hobbyshop, and it may take them 5-10 days just to get it entered into the computer and available for sale, especially the online hobbyshops. A 14-day period just does not seem long enough to tell the real picture of public availability, as stated this can be defeated with backordering, delayed shipments, etc... and if the rule does not take this into account, the rule has no meaning.

I totally agree with this comment. 60-days is a good timeframe for most people to have the newest stuff. I also think there needs to be a number of the product out there depending on the item. Maybe 8k ESCs...etc.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:35 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
This makes sense in a way. I am sure the Tekin cusotmers will be taken care of. But think about the problem with the new speedo.

Let's say the other ESC did not exist and that Tekin had a new program that did exactly what this other ESC did. Those with Tekin ESCs would be well off, but those that showed up with other stuff would be out of luck. But if the customer had known that the Tekin program would be available 14 days before the event, they would be able to plan to acquire the ESC and take advantage of the new program.

To me, showing up at the race with a newly programmed Tekin is not much different than showing up with a new ESC.
It's not nearly that easy. Hindsight is always 20/20 and there would be no way for drivers to know just how dominating the software update would be until the event. And I don't believe that drivers would go out and buy a new speedo two weeks before an event simply because that speedo has a software update that came out for it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.