Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree68Likes

Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 11:49 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by waOscar
A word of warning, aluminium ball connector are not as impact resistant as steel ones and can shear off in heavy crashes. I only fitted these items to my daughters car after about 18 months of driving.

I found this out halfway through my first heat qualifier this past weekend. The car got REAL LOOSE and I thought, O.K. time for new tires. When I got back to my pit the right rear upper link aluminum ball on the rear upright (aluminum 0 degree) had sheared off. The amazing thing is the TA05R FINISHED the heat with the rear link broken!!

I actually just ordered those black steel ball connectors this morning (53968)
I hope that, along with the titanium links, will keep me from losing another race because of the pretty blue balls.... I mean...you know what I mean....
Old 05-08-2007, 01:25 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DA_cookie_monst
when I read that the cells been moved forward, I was like WHAT, if anything, from the kit chassis, the cells needed to go the other way, I have had to weight the rear of mine a little, just to keep it following the front, without it, the car would snap out of line as it generates enough steering as it is.
I agree on the amount of steering the car can produce - however I have also found that cars with the weight further forward are more consistent as the grip level changes around the track.

I race mostly on slippy floors and grip comes up dramatically as the day progresses.

My old Yokomo SD would start to understeer as the grip came up, and the TA05 (so far) is the same. So I end up in a routine of changing setups once or even twice a day to maintain steering.

Both cars have their weight relatively rearwards.

However my Kyosho TF-5 had the weight further forward and handled the same from lap one of the first race until the buzzer at the end of the last final, no changes required. This I liked!
Old 05-08-2007, 02:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

on carpet with additive, I find the setup I posted above, the car steers on it's nose anyways, so as the grip comes up, so does the positive feel, but it isn't twitchy, I would feel that moving the weight further forward, it would start to make the car a little too loose on the rear, as it needs the weight back there a little more.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Old 05-09-2007, 06:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SpeedTech
Hi Guys,

Just want to post a quick note: the Penguin R/C TA05 Low Profile graphite conversion kits are now finally in stock.

More Info

Steve Wang

That seems to be a reasonable price for the graphite bits............
Old 05-10-2007, 06:56 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by DA_cookie_monst
on carpet with additive, I find the setup I posted above, the car steers on it's nose anyways, so as the grip comes up, so does the positive feel, but it isn't twitchy, I would feel that moving the weight further forward, it would start to make the car a little too loose on the rear, as it needs the weight back there a little more.
Adding to that, if any of you ever get the chance to race the '05 on foam on carpet it is a WEAPON!

The car feels like its on rails. I ran a 9.0 final drive on a very technical track and the back end just wouldnt come unstuck no matter how much welly I gave it.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc3team
Adding to that, if any of you ever get the chance to race the '05 on foam on carpet it is a WEAPON!

The car feels like its on rails. I ran a 9.0 final drive on a very technical track and the back end just wouldnt come unstuck no matter how much welly I gave it.
I am trying to do the same, except, 4.5 with foams...outdoor...planning to do around 9 FDR as well, but need to figure out some rollout as well. Powered by 4800 lipo..................can't wait.

TA05R is NOT a beginner car or mid range car.........not at all.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:25 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default WHATEVER!

Originally Posted by POOKYT
Hey Garrett!!! Let me guess..........that Yokomo was running a brushless mod too?? LMAO! They'll never learn!!!

Brant
WHO'S LAUGHING NOW BITCH'S.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:32 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mrrcguy
WHO'S LAUGHING NOW BITCH'S.
I guess you and your $650 worth of Yokomo and brushless mod combo. Congrats!!!! Only took you a year to beat a TA-05 with a 19 turn. LMAO

Brant
Old 05-12-2007, 08:11 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default WHATEVER!

I believe your third atempt that day involved an 8 turn mod.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:27 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by POOKYT
I guess you and your $650 worth of Yokomo and brushless mod combo. Congrats!!!! Only took you a year to beat a TA-05 with a 19 turn. LMAO

Brant
its so nice to beat the carbon guys with a $ 99 car.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:13 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Solara
I am trying to do the same, except, 4.5 with foams...outdoor...planning to do around 9 FDR as well, but need to figure out some rollout as well. Powered by 4800 lipo..................can't wait.

TA05R is NOT a beginner car or mid range car.........not at all.
I was only using a 27t stock, but seeing as I knew some brothers there from many years ago I got given a set of foams and some additive to use for the night, which was uber cool Downside is I didnt measure them so I cant help you there

Gear ratio was 72/18 though if thats any help The foams were not massive, neither were they down to the rim. But they still had a lot of wear on them.

Just make sure you dont rub the ballcups on the uprights if they are wide tyres up front.... no prizes for guessing who didnt take note of this hehe.

I grabbed some 2mm spacers for 2nd round of qualifying and I was all ok.

Ive not got the "R" but I have got a graphite chassis to tighten the handling up. ARB's do not help the car much from what i've heard if you're considering running them.

hth
Old 05-14-2007, 02:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Hi,

Looking at purchasing one of these and running in 540 stock here in australia..

Questions..
1. Is there any required hop-ups to race?
2. Do most people run foam or rubber with this chassis, I will be running on netball court track.
3. What batteries should I look for to run silver cans for like 15 minutes-20 minutes?

Thanks .
Old 05-14-2007, 02:57 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
DA Cookie Monster said
"Since the picture, I have ditched the Aramid belts, to much like hard work on a low maintenance car, lol"

Now I am new to this and have just built my TA05 and have driven it on the track a couple of times and yet to race, but seems I read a lot of posts about the need to put Aramid belts on your TA 05.... I am a bit confused or am I missing something here? or is there a problem with Aramid belts?
Old 05-14-2007, 03:02 AM
Tech Initiate

Default ta05 + penguin = winner!!!!

havent been in a race since sometime back in early 90"s.
this year i picked up a tao5 put in a penguin chassis,surge motor, and a 25.00 tazer esc..,,,had somewhere around 20 laps of practice ,1st laps on a track since i quit.
heat 1......1st place
heat 2 ......3rd
heat 3......3rd
tqed for the a main which i won by 2 laps over 2nd place....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.