Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight building and setup

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 09:57 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

tdeal823...look into Mc2....Mitch makes some Wicked parts and stands behind his stuff 100%...i run all his toe plates and i love em.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tdeal823
I think what TEX is saying is that sometimes loose is fast.
The car needs some give to it to compensate for inconsistant ground/traction.
Kind of like having to much traction on the rear and you traction roll vs. a bit loose and getting a bit of slide.
I can see it but I myself have been hunting down all the loose points on the steering and trying to make them a minimun.
Exactly. RC Cars usually need a touch of slop in them to an extent. Even electric TC's are built with a little bit of slop in them to make them easier to drive.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:41 PM
Tech Regular

I think what TEX is saying is that sometimes loose is fast.
The car needs some give to it to compensate for inconsistant ground/traction.
Kind of like having to much traction on the rear and you traction roll vs. a bit loose and getting a bit of slide.
I can see it but I myself have been hunting down all the loose points on the steering and trying to make them a minimun.
I also agree with this, I have no problem keeping on the race line lap after lap.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:14 PM
Tech Adept

Do U people meen Losi made it sloppy on purpose?
The 8T I have is a lot less sloppy then the brand new 8B I recieved this week.
I think the tollerance on the bushing is to big.
When I have some spare time I am gona make me some Bronze bushings that will fit in the plate without having to dremel or anything. Just a direct fit.
When I have theme I wil post theme.

mzl Hellsavage
Old 01-09-2008, 05:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hellsavage
Do U people meen Losi made it sloppy on purpose?
The 8T I have is a lot less sloppy then the brand new 8B I recieved this week.
I think the tollerance on the bushing is to big.
When I have some spare time I am gona make me some Bronze bushings that will fit in the plate without having to dremel or anything. Just a direct fit.
When I have theme I wil post theme.

mzl Hellsavage
Why would you waste the time making a bronze bushing that already exists? Just drill the ackerman with a 1/4" bit and buy the bushing from McMaster-Carr as I posted several pages back.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:43 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tex1
I spent a lot of time on this car. Hours and hours to take out the slop. When I finally got it, it sucked. It became darty on the track. I went back to stock and was very happy. Use good lithium grease on the steel to steel connection and call it a day.
TEX
I 100% agree with this. I did the same thing and the car was hard to drive and had slow/inconsistant lap times.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:51 PM
Tech Elite

OK, guys. Got a new Losi 8 race roller in today. Haven't opened the box yet, but is there anything to change or check before I run it? I have the usual stuff to check, but I'm not sure if there is any issues to look out for on this model right out the box.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Add a little tire glue to the tires, just to be sure.
Add loctite to the CV set screws.
Pull the diffs and check for full
Use a little loctite on the engine mount screws, and other metal fasteners
Don't let the servos over work themselves. Set the EPA

Start here. There is a ton more stuff to bullet proof the car.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:24 PM
Tech Elite

what experiences have you guys had running the losi inserted rear toe plates?
I was thinking they would be a good investment but I would think that the inserts would still wear. can you buy replacement inserts like you can for the arms? if so please provide a part # because I could not find the #
Thanks guys for the info
The inserts hold up really good. The repacement inserts part # is LOSA1756. Has all the inserts included. My experience with the Losi plates are they raise the roll center of the car in the rear. So, if you need more steering, they would work well.
The M2C plates lower the roll center on the rear. At least with the plates I have tried. Add's rear traction on loose tracks.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:28 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ezveedub
OK, guys. Got a new Losi 8 race roller in today. Haven't opened the box yet, but is there anything to change or check before I run it? I have the usual stuff to check, but I'm not sure if there is any issues to look out for on this model right out the box.
The race roller has a different set-up. Made to be easier to drive hard or really rough tracks. Look at the recommendations on the set-up sheet included with your car. It has some suggestions to help it steer more. Give the Roller set-up a try for a while then maybe make some changes here or there. One at a time. Then down the road, try the standard set-up from Adam Drake or Mike Truhe.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:29 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by air8
Add a little tire glue to the tires, just to be sure.
Add loctite to the CV set screws.
Pull the diffs and check for full
Use a little loctite on the engine mount screws, and other metal fasteners
Don't let the servos over work themselves. Set the EPA

Start here. There is a ton more stuff to bullet proof the car.
So basically check for the mis-built stuff you can expect in a complete pre-built roller. I assume these already have the improved shock seals.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:32 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ezveedub
So basically check for the mis-built stuff you can expect in a complete pre-built roller. I assume these already have the improved shock seals.
I wouldn't go as far as saying 'mis-built', but just check, my 8t was built just as good as I would have done it but I still checked the metal to metal screws, set screws...definately the tyre gluing!
And it will have the white o-rings for shocks!
Old 01-09-2008, 06:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply mis-built. Over time you will develop a routine to checking over your machine. These are simply some things I do once in a while to make sure I don't have a DNF. Just a couple basics.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by air8
Yeah, I didn't mean to imply mis-built. Over time you will develop a routine to checking over your machine. These are simply some things I do once in a while to make sure I don't have a DNF. Just a couple basics.
I figured so. I have other cars as well, so I will be seeing how this car compares now since it has been out for a while and some improvements have been made. After seeing where this thing is made on the box it came in, I started wonder "Uh-oh". I have heard the stories first hand on the RC8 and seen some of it. I started wondering if I should be checking more than I usually am used to. I usually trust 2 people, one is me, and other is NOT the guys building it!
Old 01-09-2008, 08:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)

ezveedub-will you be at the battle at the beach in march?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.