Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight building and setup

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 05:02 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Sorry guys , worked it out and got it the wrong way around .

$80 more for the roller from Amain because it's built .
Next question , having always built my cars in the past ,anything to look out for with the roller in the factory build department ?
Old 07-31-2008, 05:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (91%+)

Na, out of the box the roller is pretty right. Don't know about the tracks over there, but over in oz our track starts off pretty tacky and then seems to go to nearly the blue groove status, so all I done was lowered the back shock oil by 5wt and the same with the front. But they are great just out the box
Old 07-31-2008, 07:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Semple
Yeah, I have tried those. They are too small. They hold for a short while before breaking loose. With one of the shims they come with, I can't get any play at the end of the clutch bell unless I go without shims. The RB collet is too big.
You can run without the small shims that they show b/w the spacer and b/w the bearing and clutch nut if you need to. I had to take them all out b/c the bell wouldn't spin freely with any of the small shims in. About 3/4 gallon through, I pulled the clutch and the bearings looks fine.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

And with the price of clutch bearings, I'm not all that concerned anyway. Thanks!
Old 07-31-2008, 10:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Okay, it's a tight fit but it is working. My ignitor died during the break-in idle. Engine kept stalling, so I was leaning it out and re-starting, and finally the bitch wouldn't start again. At first I thought the plug was gone, but I tried the ignitor on other plugs and it was a no-go.

Anyway, kind of off-topic, but should I be worried about temps of 220-240 when just idling on the box? That's what she's giving me.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Anothe silly question, looking over the build papers, often times I see a little aerosol spray can picture, sometimes right next to the loctite.

Does it mean spray with compressed air? lube? sorry !!

thank you.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:43 AM
Tech Master

Not sure what you mean by a tight fit, but that clutch bell needs to spin freely. Asking how to break in an engine is like asking which engine is best, you're going to get a lot of different answers. But, I wouldn't want mine at 220 or more on the box, I'd richen it. I run 1 tank though mine at about 1 minute intervals on the box, usually temping about 175.

The aerosol can pic means to clean the part before you apply Loctite. Look in the back of the manual in the hardware section, at the bottom there's a legend for the symbols.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

well darn, there it is, right next to the setup sheets, didn't even look there.

Thank you my man!
Old 07-31-2008, 10:59 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 440 (99%+)

Originally Posted by cjtamu
What kind of wear are y'all getting from the stock clutch shoes? Less than 3/4 gallon and mine are toast, worn through to where you can see the inner hole the spring fits into. I put in some KHZ 6061 shoes that I already had but I hear they need frequent deburring.
The stock shoes normally last around a gallon or less. I tried the KH 7075 shoes and they worked good but did need frequent deburring.

The best shoes I have found are the Dynamite Max-Life shoes. I had one set last right at 3 gallons and they still had life left in them. They need hardly any maintenance as well. I would look them over at every clutch bell bearing change and clean them up and that's it..........
Old 07-31-2008, 01:14 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

i had a some bad experiences with the Dynamite shoes and All silver's not lasting more then a week or 2.....they work for some but NOT all.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:20 PM
Tech Master

Most of the guys I've talked to in this general area are running the Dynamite shoes and have been pretty happy wth them. I'll burn 3/4 gallon easily at a big race, and at $25 a set I don't want to have to replace shoes every weekend. Have to try a set.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra
i had a some bad experiences with the Dynamite shoes and All silver's not lasting more then a week or 2.....they work for some but NOT all.
+1 King Headz 7075's are the shiz for me...
Old 07-31-2008, 03:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

It also depends on Motors, tuning, trigger finger control, track surface, etc. You can't tell me that a Go-Tech Sport 3 port motor will have the same effect on clutch shoes as a CEO-Modded NovaRossi. I've heard the same thing from different guys here - some love the Dynamite shoes, some only use the Losi Long-wears, some only use Losi Lightweights. There are too many other factors in place to say "these shoes suck compared to ___." On one motor, possibly - on the next guys', that might not be the case.

If you're looking for longevity out of a clutch, try what Donny (cornerspeed) posted a few pages back - all composites with gold springs, and a new (non-used) clutch bell. As he said, 4 composite shoes will definitely last longer than any alum/composite combo, as there is no aluminum flying around in there chewing up the plastic shoes. In theory, it should be easier on bearings too, just keep the bearings clean of the plastic dust. And make sure to use a brand new clutchbell.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MBR52
Na, out of the box the roller is pretty right. Don't know about the tracks over there, but over in oz our track starts off pretty tacky and then seems to go to nearly the blue groove status, so all I done was lowered the back shock oil by 5wt and the same with the front. But they are great just out the box
Hey man i,m from OZ myself , thanks for that little tip .
Got to get down your way for some killer snapper fishing
Old 07-31-2008, 04:22 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Lars Johnson
It also depends on Motors, tuning, trigger finger control, track surface, etc. You can't tell me that a Go-Tech Sport 3 port motor will have the same effect on clutch shoes as a CEO-Modded NovaRossi. I've heard the same thing from different guys here - some love the Dynamite shoes, some only use the Losi Long-wears, some only use Losi Lightweights. There are too many other factors in place to say "these shoes suck compared to ___." On one motor, possibly - on the next guys', that might not be the case.

If you're looking for longevity out of a clutch, try what Donny (cornerspeed) posted a few pages back - all composites with gold springs, and a new (non-used) clutch bell. As he said, 4 composite shoes will definitely last longer than any alum/composite combo, as there is no aluminum flying around in there chewing up the plastic shoes. In theory, it should be easier on bearings too, just keep the bearings clean of the plastic dust. And make sure to use a brand new clutchbell.
LOL, that's whay I was asking what kind of wear other people were getting. I don't think my RG overpowered them, but I think with the gold and silver springs it was really spooled up before they hit. Bearings looked good, didn't replace the bell but I retextured it. +1 on the blanket "they suck" statements, I love those.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.