Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

TRF101

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 02:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

I ran into a similar problem with the studs so I drilled out the hole a little bigger. I also used a very large drill bit to put a little chamfer on the hole, this helped with starting to thread the stud.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:41 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by merkyworks
I ran into a similar problem with the studs so I drilled out the hole a little bigger. I also used a very large drill bit to put a little chamfer on the hole, this helped with starting to thread the stud.
Many Thanks - I dont have a proper drill, But I think I might have a pin vice drill somewhere. Cheers! Will give it a go.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by merkyworks
The only problem with that is that you end up removing material that is needed to keep the toe in adjusted and not change if you slap the wall.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by simmo0916
Good eyes! I did start off using the allen wrench, but it would not go any further, so naturally I tried pliers

@LloydLoar - Thanks - I will sort that out!
I usually run the screw a few threads in and then back it outa turn or two and then run it back in a few more threads. After that is usually all the way through and you can thread it all the way down
Old 08-14-2013, 03:04 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
I usually run the screw a few threads in and then back it outa turn or two and then run it back in a few more threads. After that is usually all the way through and you can thread it all the way down
I will have to check what bits I have left over from the build, see If I have spare ones - Those ones are shot now

If not, I will have to try and find higher quality grub screws.

Cheers for the advice!
Old 08-14-2013, 03:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I will have to check what bits I have left over from the build, see If I have spare ones - Those ones are shot now

Cheers for the advice!
Or you could pre-tap the hole with any 3mm screw first
Old 08-14-2013, 03:34 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
Or you could pre-tap the hole with any 3mm screw first
Yeah, what Dave said
Old 08-14-2013, 03:51 PM
Suspended

I managed to get one of them sorted, but the one on the opposite side is rounded off - So, I cant get it in any further - Or get it out.

With Drilling it, How on earth do I get it out??!
Old 08-14-2013, 04:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (95%+)

try using the closest none metric hex, there might be some edges to hold on to, or use a dremel and cut a slot and use a flat nose, sometimes a combination of heat and a slightly larger hex works charms
Old 08-15-2013, 04:09 AM
Tech Master

Cheers for the advice!
Whatever you do, don't drill the holes larger or use a tap to cut threads, the plate gripping the grub screw is what keeps its setting. Run a normal screw through there first to form the screw threads, and use a decent allen driver instead of the kit allen keys, you will find it so much easier.

To get the old grubs out take the body mount plate off the cars and remove everything from it so you don't damage anything else. Take the spring mount off the grub screw and use the side of pliers or mole grips to unscrew them, then throw them away.

If you need more grub screws, get them from Modelfixings
Old 08-15-2013, 10:34 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by terry.sc
Whatever you do, don't drill the holes larger or use a tap to cut threads, the plate gripping the grub screw is what keeps its setting. Run a normal screw through there first to form the screw threads, and use a decent allen driver instead of the kit allen keys, you will find it so much easier.

To get the old grubs out take the body mount plate off the cars and remove everything from it so you don't damage anything else. Take the spring mount off the grub screw and use the side of pliers or mole grips to unscrew them, then throw them away.

If you need more grub screws, get them from Modelfixings
Many thanks - Will give this a go later. One of the grub screws is fine, and I have one spare, So I should be good providing I can get the dodgy one out!
Old 08-16-2013, 08:18 AM
Suspended

hmmm, So It didnt go according to plan! I cannot get the damn thing out!

Anybody know where I can get a new Body Mount Plate for the TRF101?
Old 08-16-2013, 12:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You could try this. If you have or can get access to a pair of vise grips you can clamp those down on the top of the grub screw and ease it out. Use just enough force to grab the screw but not crush it. Have used this method to remove all kinds of broken or stripped things.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:09 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by shadowracer24
You could try this. If you have or can get access to a pair of vise grips you can clamp those down on the top of the grub screw and ease it out. Use just enough force to grab the screw but not crush it. Have used this method to remove all kinds of broken or stripped things.
Unfortunately the grub screw snapped whilst trying to get it out - So I can't get much purchase on it. I will post up a photo shortly. I think my only options will be drilling it out if I can find someone to do it, Or completely replacing the part
Old 08-16-2013, 01:58 PM
Suspended

Completely messed this up! And of course dont have access to a drill!

Just for comparison - The opposite side threaded fine:

Someone help! I feel like a right twat!

Without a drill or vice grips or a dremel, Is there any way to remove this?
If not, Is there a 3rd party part to replace the body mount plate, or does anyone know when spares will become available for the TRF101?

Cheers guys!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.