Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 710

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2004, 01:04 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Sow&Steady
Ah, no. I bought mine quite a while back and it doesn't have the spring color on it.

Strage that you would put orange with 35 because orange is softer than yellow!
The shock oil colors was something from long ago when we didn't have color coded springs.

The colors of the springs have no relation to the colors of the oil...
We should remove the colors on the oil bottles.
Old 10-02-2004, 01:28 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Julius
It may well be that some people still mix up the roll center position with the bulkhead position.

Front bulkhead low => rollcenter high. Slightly less grip but faster response.
Front bulkhead high => Rollcenter low. Less response more grip on throttle.
Old 10-02-2004, 01:29 AM
Tech Prophet

The colors of the springs have no relation to the colors of the oil...
We should remove the colors on the oil bottles.
Surprise that after this long, it is still there. I always wanted to ask about the colour code but these were some of the things I never got around asking.
Old 10-02-2004, 01:55 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Picard
The point you make about the 950R springs is a good one, perhaps this is what the code is relating too.

I understand the theory behind roll centres. I was wanting to know what you run with the setup you have (Red springs 35W oil)
On one car its as per manual.

On the other car, I lowered the front RC.

With the previous set-up I mentioned, I prefered that stock RC setup.
Old 10-02-2004, 01:57 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by InitialD
Are you sure you're getting the real Serpent shock oil Onkel Sow? Lest we do not want others to accuse us here of using products that are not made in Holland !
Good point, maybe that particular stock was made err ... upstairs in Mdm Lee's shop?

I don't have that bottle anymore but the brand new one I have in my "stocks" cabinet says "Orange".
Old 10-02-2004, 02:01 AM
Tech Elite

I think you're referring to the slightly longer Veteq (also used on the 705) set of springs. Not the 950 ones. They are the same as the ones used on the 710.
Of course ... old generation , new generation.

According to Master Rene (the FORCE is with you), the slightly longer Veteq rear springs are two colours softer than the normal ones i.e. Yellow Veteq rear springs = White normal rear springs.

Restecpa !
It still doesn't explain why 30 goes with Yellow and 35 goes with Orange though but like I said, I don't use follow that guideline.
Old 10-02-2004, 02:04 AM
Tech Elite

Onkel Sow is very ellusive about his setup. Perhaps Mark is reading somewhere here. Remember they will go against each other on the track this weekend.
Oh, I was jet-lagged and fell asleep that's why I didn't answer.

Mark? The poor guy only has access to Hotmail on his WAP phone.

I've been teasing him saying how you guys. especially D, are making fun of him struggling at our track running clockwise! He says "just wait till I get back online!".

Hopefully that's enough mental twisting work to kick his a$$ first before he kicks mine in the race tomorrow.
Old 10-02-2004, 02:11 AM
Tech Prophet

Oh, I was jet-lagged and fell asleep that's why I didn't answer.
Too old perhaps.

Mark? The poor guy only has access to Hotmail on his WAP phone.
You're cruel Onkel Sow. For heaven's sake, give the guy a PC !

I've been teasing him saying how you guys. especially D, are making fun of him struggling at our track running clockwise! He says "just wait till I get back online!".
Damn. On the contrary, I'm rooting for Mark. Proof is on 3Hobby forums.

Hopefully that's enough mental twisting work to kick his a$$ first before he kicks mine in the race tomorrow.
That's a dirty old trick ! Taking advantage of poor Mark only having his WAP phone.
Old 10-02-2004, 02:13 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by cyba888
The 710 kit comes with 30w oil. I heard a while back that the weight is different from other brands. Serpent 30w is the same as Trinity 70w? BTW what Serpent shock oil weight would yo recommend on a high bite smooth track?
High bite tracks usually prefer heavier oil. Something like 35wt, 40wt or even 45wt Serpent oil with the normal 1 mm hole pistons. Julius mentioned that heavier oil transfers weight slower but transfer the same amount of weight as lighter oil.

Pyramid mentioned that the 30wt Serpent oil is about similar to 55wt Trinity.
Old 10-02-2004, 02:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks D
Old 10-02-2004, 02:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

It may well be that some people still mix up the roll center position with the bulkhead position.

Front bulkhead low => rollcenter high. Slightly less grip but faster response.
Yep, thats how we are running it. No spacers on under the arm mounts. Feels better in the direction change and initial turn.

Hopefully with the longer sero saver it will help further in the corner too.
Old 10-02-2004, 02:29 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Picard
ohhh...I see...

So he tried to throw me off with all that Roll centre talk in the hope that I will forget my question

Well then sow PM me and I promise I will not tell Mark
No worries, from yesterday's practise, here's my set-up (the old car, which was the one I preferred, the new one has an OS-12TR Yamada modified engine and was too slow on the straight compared to Mark's and NiMo's screaming JP-FX):-

FRONT
37 shore (Speedmind)
61 mm dia
1 deg toe out
3 mm in front of upper arm camber
1 mm Short Wheel base mod
35 oil - Red 710 springs
4 holes
6 mm ride
1 mm droop
mid RC
1-way diff
Roll bar set to flat (0 degrees)

REAR
37 shore (Speedmind)
62 mm dia
2 degrees toe-in
35 oil - Red 710 springs
3 holes
6.5 mm ride
7 mm ride
RC as per manual
DRS as per manual
Diff set loose
Stock roll-bar set at 0 mm

OTHERS
NSR-5S engine
Kyosho Outlaw Team pipe
RB 13mm manifold
25% Tornado fuel
Novarossi #6 plug
17-22 pinion
61-57 spurs
Speering link on TOP of stock servo saver.
Protoform Alpha 2.1 shell
No weights left of tank
Ti screws all round
Ti shafts mid and main layshafts
Teflon/Delrin pivot ball nuts

Hope this helps but go to myTSN and look at Mark Green's set-up for AMCC. This was the winning set-up for TQ/FTD during the last foam Nationals at this track. He lapped everyone by 3 laps at the end of the 30 min finals. The UK foams Nationals are run on Lolas this year.

As a side note, I'll post some videos on 3hobby.com of us messing around if they (Mark and the rest of the guys) don't mind. Weather does NOT look good for tomorrow's race though.
Old 10-02-2004, 02:31 AM
Tech Master

High bite tracks usually prefer heavier oil. Something like 35wt, 40wt or even 45wt Serpent oil with the normal 1 mm hole pistons. Julius mentioned that heavier oil transfers weight slower but transfer the same amount of weight as lighter oil.

Pyramid mentioned that the 30wt Serpent oil is about similar to 55wt Trinity.
Nope it's the other way round. Heavy damping gives faster weight transfer = quicker response. The dampers resist the rolling of the chassis thus transferring weight to the outside wheel.

Think of it this way if you have no damping the car rolls over in a turn and the weight transfer happens only through springs which is a linear force increase with the roll of the car.
Now with damping the resistance is already there the moment the car starts leaning over. Thus the initial weight transfer happens earlier the harder the damping is. In the end the amount of roll is a result of the stiffness of the springs.

Springs determine the amount of roll
Damping determines how fast the car rolls
Old 10-02-2004, 02:35 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Bxclip
got my brake fix lost my otuer gear lol hwo u like my new body?
Very good looking Ferrari!
Old 10-02-2004, 02:39 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Pyramid
I never used serpent oil, the only reasons is because I do not have a full line and customer prefer either trinity or associated. With red springs, I always use at least 70w TRI. Those Red+40s TRI is only suggestion to test the car just to see what I called fast response and hard to drive. Explanning is never been easy, its not like centimeter fixed measurement and the audiences are all unique
I agree with you there ... I find the typing here tedious and still not sure if I've explained it right.

The worse part is I sometimes hope I don't sound arrogant or rude with my writing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.