Team Associated 1/8 scale Truggy Info and Tips

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Team Associated 1/8 scale Truggy Info and Tips

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2020, 10:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

I just fired up my old RC8T! I took apart the engine and cleaned everything, it’s been 6 years! Kids have a way of getting in the way of things! My LRP .30x still rips! Gonna try and get a video tomorrow. Hopefully I don’t break a diff! It’s been my problem since getting the.30x.
Old 07-08-2021, 03:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 119 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
No, never converted to electric. And never found CVAs..

I did take my RC8T out yesterday though, just to see if it works. Amazingly, it did.. The SC8 ran GREAT too(Modded Nosram RS.21RR with 086 pipe..) My RC8T has an Alpha 23 and 0801 pipe... Man I miss the sound and smell of nitro.

I do not however miss the bottomless money pits that cars are. And good god they require a lot of batteries and prepping and all-around attention... Been flying electric foamies for years - so much easier... I'd really like an Aarma Kraton, but then you start thinking about having to stockpile spares, so are like "screw it, just buy a whole second car", and mods, and on and on and on...

I would consider converting my RC8T I guess. Need a conversion kit, the electric stuff, and yeah, CVAs.. What would be the cheapest way to convert? Conversion kit and motor/ESC?

Nothing really beats nitro though for that certain kind of gearhead kick....

My fuel must be at least 5-6 years old. Good ole' Tornado %25... (maybe ARO really does help too....) I think the last time I raced was 2013. All the same fuel lines, gaskets, air filter, diff and shock oils, etc etc... The fuel is the surpise though. I remember reading all the time people saying it was "bad" after like a year... Just more nitro misinformation... (gotta change those bearings, need a new rod, need a modded engine, tuning is rocket science, have to preheat every time, etc etc...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJoYB3k0RlA
I know it's an old thread but I'm giving it a shot. Just came across the original rc8t and rc8b. I for the life of me cannot find parts. Mainly the plastic stuff like arms and rod ends. I had these years ago then got out of the hobby and now my buddy gave me both of these. Mainly looking for the breakable parts. The truggy has all the Factory Team parts and the Buggy has the Tekno V4 kit. Any parts your willing to sell.
Old 08-15-2021, 07:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

what is it you need? PM me
Old 04-26-2022, 07:58 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I am going for a long shot here too, I recently got my converted RC8T out of the shed, full rebuild with whatever new seals and gaskets I could find in Oz, new shock and diff fluids. I really enjoy running this truggy, wish I could do it more.
Unfortunately after only a few packs I let my daughter drive it on 2S, she loved it. Unfortunately she wanted a go at 4S, but it was a bit much and I busted a front shock shaft, busted the shock rod end and lost the spring cup which seems impossible to find online. Well not for under $50 aud (about $35USD) from 2 suppliers including ebay for the spring cup with estimated delivery between June and July - aghhh, and I hadn't even done a speed run on 6S yet.
My only option is a full shock rebuild kit which I can still find in Oz for about $100 (70USD) but I am loath to spend too much on it, because whatever inevitably breaks next might not be replaceable. I'm already all in for about $200 and am starting to think I should have just bought an Arrma 3S something for $600 instead of getting this old truggy going again.
I am also concerned some of the plastic and parts may be brittle now, I don't recall the truggy having a big hit that would have cause the shock shaft to snap, but it did.
I'm already down about $100 for the initial rebuild, and so far a poorly spent $80 on shocks and upper mounts from the LHS for shocks that I finally realised won't fit because the lower shock rod end won't fit in the RC8T mount- hopefully they will take them back.

So my question for all the avid RC8T people out there - does anyone know of a shock rod end from any other manufacturer (hopefully available in Oz) that would fit the stock RC8T shock?
Or does anybody know if any of the associated parts from later models are a direct replacement for associated part number 89354.

Probably I'm best off either getting the full rebuild kit, hopefully returning the shocks that I can't mount and hope I get value for money before something else breaks. Or just give up now.....
Old 04-26-2022, 08:29 PM
Mco
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

So what I would do is if you don't care about mixing brands, I would find a current team associated truggy or Losi truggy or ARRMA and use those shocks. I'm sure you would find those parts easy easier than keeping this thing pure from way back when.
Old 04-26-2022, 08:54 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Mco
So what I would do is if you don't care about mixing brands, I would find a current team associated truggy or Losi truggy or ARRMA and use those shocks. I'm sure you would find those parts easy easier than keeping this thing pure from way back when.
Yeah I don't mind mixing brands, I just 'bash' or run solo and purity is not important.

What I am not confident about is finding something that will definitely fit.
I already got a little burnt by the local hobby shop who sold me "FS Racing" shocks that are a good fit for length, look plenty good enough for my use. That was $60, then I had to go back a day later to get the upper mounting kit for $20 since the upper shock cap hole diameter was smaller than the RC8T, so far no problem, but then I also realised the new lower shock boot is a couple of mm (~1/16") wider than RC8T shock so the new one want fit in the RC8T mount without cutting away a heap of plastic which will probably weaken that part too much.
Old 04-30-2022, 03:13 PM
Tech Rookie

Well another trip to the LHS who I thought had stiffed me a little with with shock that don't fit, and wondering if I'd be able to return them despite being opened because they weren't fit for purpose.
But they threw me a bone so to speak.

So the FS racing shocks I bought have a 4mm shaft, so do the RC8T, except the RC8T strangely seemed to have turned the 4mm shaft down to 3mm, before threading for the shock boot.
So the answer buy some 3mm shcock boots from the RC8T which I can luckily still source in Oz, force those onto the 4mm shafts and the truggy will see another day.
Parts on order, I'm excited again, but nervous for whatever might perish or break next time.

Probably should have just bought a new Arrma....
Old 04-30-2022, 03:17 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by xr6_ute
Well another trip to the LHS who I thought had stiffed me a little with with shock that don't fit, and wondering if I'd be able to return them despite being opened because they weren't fit for purpose.
But they threw me a bone so to speak.

So the FS racing shocks I bought have a 4mm shaft, so do the RC8T, except the RC8T strangely seemed to have turned the 4mm shaft down to 3mm, before threading for the shock boot.
So the answer buy some 3mm shcock boots from the RC8T which I can luckily still source in Oz, force those onto the 4mm shafts and the truggy will see another day.
Parts on order, I'm excited again, but nervous for whatever might perish or break next time.

Probably should have just bought a new Arrma....
The RC8T shocks have 2 versions. Regular and HD. The HD are the 4mm rod ends, thicker and stronger while the Regular is the stock. What exactly are you looking for. I have a good surplus of parts for the original RC8B/T.
Old 04-30-2022, 03:20 PM
Tech Master

Also send me a picture. I read back into your post and I have tons of those parts. I have 6 extra full sets of shocks plus every part individually.
Old 05-01-2022, 01:46 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi Divey,

Thanks heaps for your offer of help and the info about the different shocks.

I am not 100% sure about the finer details of the car - I bought it second hand probably 10 years ago now.

I'll try and pm a photo of the shocks for interest tomorrow. I am a long way from reaching the post count to post pics in a forum thread (or a WTB post)

For now I have ordered the parts I need - I am really trying just to run this this on a shoe string budget before possibly pulling the pin on a current model.

I'll definitely keep you in mind if I continue to run this truggy and no doubt will need spare parts, even casual running (i.e. low key bashing I break things – imagine if I sent it like you see on you tube these days ……) Even then though postage all the way down to Australia could be a factor.

Thanks for reaching out!
Old 05-02-2022, 02:25 PM
Tech Rookie

Divey, here you can see the snapped of shock shaft at the top. The bottom one hopefully shows what I mean - the shaft itself is 4mm, but appears to have been turned down to 3mm and then threaded - probably to fit the lower shock boot and other plastic mounting AE already had without making new molds.
Old 05-02-2022, 02:26 PM
Tech Rookie

Well I took a punt and the forum let me upload a photos, sorry it's a bit oversize though.....
Old 05-02-2022, 05:37 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by xr6_ute
Well I took a punt and the forum let me upload a photos, sorry it's a bit oversize though.....
Yup, as I thought.. just broke the shaft. I have an extra if needed. Just need the size. The older RC8's had 29mm which is buggy front, then 32mm truggy front, and I think 36mm truggy/buggy rear.
Old 05-04-2022, 01:05 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi Divey,

I think I mentioned it before - I have the bare minimum of parts I need on order, hopefully arrive soon.

I'll definitely hit you up in the future if I need something I can't source.
I'm just getting back in to the hobby, for me the budget is quite skinny, I am torn between maintaining the RC8T (which I love driving, but worry about longevity, parts etc) and buying something new- for me a big outlay, but at least parts should be around for a few years.
Old 06-03-2022, 09:47 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Divey
Also send me a picture. I read back into your post and I have tons of those parts. I have 6 extra full sets of shocks plus every part individually.
Divey,
Whats your v4 RC8T running for tires and shock setup? oil weight/springs/pistons?

Im running 80wt all around w Proline trenchers (not sure which springs, the paint on them seems to be worn off, maybe they are the bronze?) and curious to see what you think of this setup for general bashing etc.

Im new to the truck but have been lucky to find SOME parts but would great to see if you have some stuff I could pick up from you too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.