Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EPIC "D3" Duo 3

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 03:32 PM
Tech Elite

What's the sweet spot for temp ranges on this motor? Where your getting the best performance before losing a lot of efficiency?

Is is all the info I can find about the motor on their website:
The D3 Monster Horsepower™ Series is the latest in brushless motor technology from Team Trinity. New stator and 12.3mm rotor designs for more power, torque and greater reliability. Faster switching sensor board. Higher temperature wire for longer stator life. Venting for cooler operation for greater efficiency. Fully adjustable timing. High performance ball bearings. Designed to fit all R/C vehicles from 1/12th scale on-road to 1/10th short course trucks. Designed to operate at 3.7 to 14.8 volts with correct gearing.

Motor comes with instructions and sensor wire.

ROAR Legal

National & SnowBird Champions

TEP1053

17.5 Turns

2300Kv

$134.99 msrp

Last edited by Mizchief; 01-24-2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Will the revtech sensorboard work in the d3? and If so will it give me more timing adjustability? If not what would I have to buy to get the extra timing of the revtech on the d3? thanks.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:25 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mizchief
What's the sweet spot for temp ranges on this motor? Where your getting the best performance before losing a lot of efficiency?

Is is all the info I can find about the motor on their website:
The D3 Monster Horsepower™ Series is the latest in brushless motor technology from Team Trinity. New stator and 12.3mm rotor designs for more power, torque and greater reliability. Faster switching sensor board. Higher temperature wire for longer stator life. Venting for cooler operation for greater efficiency. Fully adjustable timing. High performance ball bearings. Designed to fit all R/C vehicles from 1/12th scale on-road to 1/10th short course trucks. Designed to operate at 3.7 to 14.8 volts with correct gearing.

Motor comes with instructions and sensor wire.

ROAR Legal

National & SnowBird Champions

TEP1053

17.5 Turns

2300Kv

$134.99 msrp

In my 17.5 sedan my motor feels best coming off the track at 150*-160*. Some people tell me that is getting a little warm but I try not to worry till 180*.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Blitzrockey
Will the revtech sensorboard work in the d3? and If so will it give me more timing adjustability? If not what would I have to buy to get the extra timing of the revtech on the d3? thanks.
The sensor board from the revtech will work on the d3 it is the same board the only diffrence is the revtech is notched out more for more endbell timing. I would think you could do the same thing with a dremel but i still wouldnt advise it. I changed mine out just to match the color of my car not for more timing but the boards are the same.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jvroffroadrc
The sensor board from the revtech will work on the d3 it is the same board the only diffrence is the revtech is notched out more for more endbell timing. I would think you could do the same thing with a dremel but i still wouldnt advise it. I changed mine out just to match the color of my car not for more timing but the boards are the same.
Ah ok thanks man. Do they sell the endbell by itself yet?
Old 01-24-2012, 11:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Blitzrockey
Ah ok thanks man. Do they sell the endbell by itself yet?
Im not really sure if they do or not but i dont think they do. I know they sell the sensor boards but i have never seen just the endbell for the d3 or the revtech. The only thing I know of is just the lightweight faceplate for the revtech that they sell. I am sure you could find one on ebay if you looked.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trying to get the max out of this motor for my SC10. It's the 17.5 turn motor.

I'm running smartsense on my MMP with brushless timing set to 20, and i'm at the second to last tick mark on the motor, and running 28/75 gearing and temps are coming off at right around 100deg with about 10mins of mixed driving with a lot of full throttle.

Where should I go from here? Should I go up in gearing or switch over to the C.H.E.A.T settings to see if I can add more timing?
Old 01-29-2012, 06:40 PM
Tech Adept

Trying to get the max out of this motor for my SC10. It's the 17.5 turn motor.

I'm running smartsense on my MMP with brushless timing set to 20, and i'm at the second to last tick mark on the motor, and running 28/75 gearing and temps are coming off at right around 100deg with about 10mins of mixed driving with a lot of full throttle.

Where should I go from here? Should I go up in gearing or switch over to the C.H.E.A.T settings to see if I can add more timing?

When running a stock/spec motor I almost always crank the motor timing all the way. As far as gearing I think it is better to gear for the track that for temp. If that gearing is competitive then don't worry about it. But at the same time if you need to gear up you have plenty of room temp wise if you need it.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:42 PM
Tech Elite

played around with a few settings on the SC10 and ended up with this:
17.5t
MMP ESC
28/75
1deg boost on motor
35 deg boost
Active Range 3800 - 7800

I was using as much throttle and break down the short straight as I could, temps at 8min on motor were around 120deg and around 145 after 15mins.
MMP never broke 100deg. (fan never even came on)
Old 01-30-2012, 07:44 PM
Tech Elite

Default Giving up the ghost above 160?

Guy at the Local track today was saying that these motors tend to go up in smoke if you run them past 160. Anyone else experience that?
Old 01-30-2012, 08:02 PM
Tech Adept

Guy at the Local track today was saying that these motors tend to go up in smoke if you run them past 160. Anyone else experience that?
I use a 17.5 and 10.5 both Duo 3 and never had a problem. Like I stated earlier my 17.5 sedan comes off the track around the 160* mark every race for the last 2 months and it is running as strong as any other motor I race against. I have had it in the upper 170's but never recorded anything in the 180*+.

If you have a motor go up in smoke at a safe temp which 160* is then you just got a bad motor or something else happened, and Epic would most likely take care of you.

If you are looking for gearing and boost settings for you short course you may want to try the off-road forum. They may have more of the answers your looking for.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:32 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Andy w
I use a 17.5 and 10.5 both Duo 3 and never had a problem. Like I stated earlier my 17.5 sedan comes off the track around the 160* mark every race for the last 2 months and it is running as strong as any other motor I race against. I have had it in the upper 170's but never recorded anything in the 180*+.

If you have a motor go up in smoke at a safe temp which 160* is then you just got a bad motor or something else happened, and Epic would most likely take care of you.

If you are looking for gearing and boost settings for you short course you may want to try the off-road forum. They may have more of the answers your looking for.
Thanks. I've been double posting on the SC10 gearing thread as well, but it seems to have died some time ago. I'm pretty happy with my setup now, will stick to it with minor tweaks for different tracks.

Those guys seem to have an attitude against anything that isn't AE branded anyway, I've learned to take what they say with a grain of salt unless I can verify against the vast number of racers on the internet.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I'm not saying to do it all the time, but last summer in the Florida, I had a D3 17.5 running in the upper 190's every weekend, sometimes low 200 depending on gearing. The motors can do it, not recommended though. 160-180 I would consider safe.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Definitely not. I always run mine in the 175-190* F range. 190* is pushing it, but I've seen them go over 200* and not smoke. It really depends.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

He's nuts, Trinity recommends temps around 160 for these motors. I would say 180 would be MAX, wouldn't be my target number but I'm sure MANY of them have hit 200 and still run strong.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.