Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best charger for the money ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 07:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I guess I didnt read the tech specs close enough. Those battery discharge and motor run in features are exactly what the Duratrax Ice needed IMO
Old 03-31-2007, 06:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Check this out: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPYT8&P=7
Looks like it will be out late April and will be $50 more than an Ice unless they drop the price down when they actually get them.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default Racin

Anybody tried the Orion Charger??
I have two the old one and the new Carbon Fiber.....these little(keyword)chargers Rock.....I'm usually Racin at least three Classes...they take up very little room in my pit....they will charge anything..They also have the temp. control connection......Been using my old one three year's.........

Never faied our false peaked.......

Just my 02.........
Old 03-31-2007, 07:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you want to charge everything AND charge more than one pack at a time, get a triton and a 15 amp power supply. The charger can handle 12 cells provided you have at least 14.4V to run the charger on. You will have to make up an adapter which will chain the 2 packs together but that's a simple thing to do. You need to run the positive of one pack to the negative of the second pack, then hook the two remaining leads to the correct leads on your charger.

I have an 8th scale starter box powered by a couple of 3200 stick packs wired to produce 14.4V. The box is rigged with a couple of binding posts which I simply attach my triton to and charge both at the same time.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:13 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by fhm555
If you want to charge everything AND charge more than one pack at a time, get a triton and a 15 amp power supply. The charger can handle 12 cells provided you have at least 14.4V to run the charger on. You will have to make up an adapter which will chain the 2 packs together but that's a simple thing to do. You need to run the positive of one pack to the negative of the second pack, then hook the two remaining leads to the correct leads on your charger.

I have an 8th scale starter box powered by a couple of 3200 stick packs wired to produce 14.4V. The box is rigged with a couple of binding posts which I simply attach my triton to and charge both at the same time.
I asked this above on this forum. Could i do the same thing with the 989? It says up to 24 cells . I would like to do 2 packs at the same time too. Dan.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:28 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by danimal1965
I asked this above on this forum. Could i do the same thing with the 989? It says up to 24 cells . I would like to do 2 packs at the same time too. Dan.
As long as you have enough voltage from your power supply and make up an adapter to connect the packs in series, it should charge them just fine. For 12 sub C cells in series you will need at least 14.4V out of your power supply.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

DUDE! That Checkpoint charger is essentially the ICE charger, with all the shortcomings fixed! Backlit. An additional charge mode (3-step). 20 + 30 AMP DISCHARGE RATES!! New motor break in modes! ...did I mention that it's backlit!

I'd be willing to bet that when they come out, these forums will be flooded with ICE charges for sale! I have two and I'd sell them both in an instant to get the discharge options. One less piece of equipment I'd have to take to the track (my 030 discharger). Awesome!

As for power supplies get the Samlex SEC-1223. 13.8volts, 23-amp (25-amp peak), smallest you can get. Rock stable. I power two ICE chargers, an Indi 030 discharge tray, and my radio at the same time with no problems whatsoever. Competition Electronics buys their power supplies from them, slap a sticker on it, and increase the price by $30 bucks.

The absolute cheapest place you can get it is HERE . I've bought two from this distributer (one for me, another for a friend who hates buying stuff online) and they're a good company... IMO.
Mr.Maim
Old 03-31-2007, 08:54 PM
Tech Regular

I looked at a rack mount Samlex 23 a couple of years ago. I was going to use one in an electric pit box I was thinking about building out of a 12 space flight case, but never got around to. At that time some of the big online CB and ham stores had the stand alone for $89.00. There is also a dual rack mount version. I figure it must be a decent PS if Competition Electronics decided to sell them rebadged with their logo.

I've got an old Rivergate 30 amp supply that can be switched between 13V and 15V that stays on my bench at home these days, but at one time I used it to run 2 8th starter boxes, 3 battery chargers, and 2 glo stick quick chargers. It's a real tank of a power supply
Old 03-31-2007, 09:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Better sell them Duratrax Ice's now while they are still worth something!
Old 04-06-2007, 07:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

fhm555: Yeah, the Samlex power supplies are widely used by Ham and Shortwave radio people. With them it's all about absolute consistency and ZERO electromagnetic noise. I figured if it was good enough for people running thousands of dollars of super sensitive radio equipment from, it'd be more than enough for my R/C Car chargers.

d4man: Believe me, the DAY those Checkpoint chargers are available (I have email notifications set up with several online vendors) I'll be buying two. The day they arrive, I'll be selling my ICE chargers. I cannot tell you how irritating it is that the ICE is not backlit. May seem like no big deal, but club racing always goes into the evenings and no backlight is just stupid. I'll pay the extra $50 just so I don't have to pay $23 for a backlight kit and blow two hours installing it.

Those of you looking to buy ICE chargers for a good discount... wait a couple more weeks.

Mr.Maim