Wiki Posts
Search

Best charger for the money ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 03:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Best charger for the money ?

What is the best charger for the money ? I would like to have one that charges all different types of batteries and also would like to have one that charges more than one at a time.Also digital read out would be preferred!.I would love to have all your opinions on this subject.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

For the money you could get a Duratrax ICE or the MRC Super Brain 989

http://www.duratrax.com/caraccys/dtxp4170.html

and

http://www.modelrectifier.com/search...ew.asp?ID=6863

Both chargers are DC only (they need a separate power supply) and the MRC comes with a power supply included in the price. The MRC can do it all, even 12v gel cells....

Neither charger will charge 2 batteries at the same time.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

You're probably going to want to drop the "two batteries at once" requirement. I'm not 100% sure, but to the best of my reccolection: there is no charger that can charge two batteries at once, that can also charge Lithium, LiPo, Lead Acid, and Gel Cell batteries. It's pretty much a trade-off: either you have the ability to charge two NiCd or NiMh batteries at the same time, or you have the ability to charge anything, just one at a time.
That being said: d4man is right. Either the ICE or the SuperBrain. I have both, both do a great job in different ways. The SuperBrain is cheaper and comes with a power supply. The ICE will require a 12V power supply that will set you back another $50~ $125.

Mr.Maim
Old 03-25-2007, 09:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have the Ice charger and I love it. Flawless over 2 1/2 years I've had it.

Another charger that's not often looked at is the Triton 2.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:00 PM
Tech Elite

The MRC has a great features list and is really a great charger the massive amount of charge profile memories is something I really really like, but MRC as a brand generally isn't the best for quality. I've got one and I never had any problems with it at all until I hooked up a battery backwards accidentally, it doesn't have reverse polarity protection. The power supply is very reliable and doesn't overheat due to the fan it has. Of course probably the ICE may be a better choice, everyone that has one seems to love it.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:23 PM
Tech Elite

For the price it seems that the MRC is the better choice as it comes with a power supply.Would that be true or is it just a smoke screen ?
Old 03-26-2007, 07:54 AM
Tech Master

It really depends... if you're a basher, I'd go with the SuperBrain. It's small, packed with features, and is pretty easy to use. If you're going to be racing, and want to spend the money for both the charger and a power supply, get the ICE. But be prepared to spend a couple of evenings reading the manual and going through the options on the ICE because there are a TON of functions built into the charger.

Personally, I got the SuperBrain first because I was just bashing and just started to get into racing. About 8 months later I got the ICE after I was sure that I needed a competition-level charger.

Now I have both!

Mr.Maim
Old 03-26-2007, 08:16 AM
Tech Elite

Another thing that I overlooked was the Brain charger has a built in temperature probe. The Duratrax Ice has an optional one for an additional 10 bucks.

If charging 2 batteries is mandatory, you could use this but charging at 3.5 amps will take forever!

If it where me and I was a basher, I would go with the MRC charger. Then, down the road, if you decide you want to race, go with the Duratrax ICE. I believe the power supply included with the MRC is a 10 amp Power Supply, so if you wanted to get the Duratrax down the road, you dont need an extra power supply.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:38 AM
Tech Master

Yeah! What he said!
Old 03-26-2007, 10:17 AM
Tech Elite

I had the Superbrain 959 and my buddy had the 969. Neither one of them worked correctly out of the box. My buddy bought the new one ( is it the 989?), and same thing. Right out of the box he couldn't charge batteries. He has since gone on to buy a Triton, and just recently purchased the Multiplex 5014 charger. I have the Multiplex charger, MuchMore charger, Turbo 35, and the Ice. Hnads down my favorite charger I have owned/used is the Duratrax Ice.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:25 AM
Tech Elite

OOPPS doubled up!
Old 03-26-2007, 10:26 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the input guys.I personally am more of a racer than a basher.I also like things that are easy to use so I really can`t decide.Where can I get cheap but good power supplies? Also would it be a smart idea to try the ebay approach for a charger?
Old 03-26-2007, 10:32 AM
Tech Elite

For a cheap powers supply, look at the tower site. It's called a rip max or a pro peak. I can't remember which one it is. It's right around $50 and it's 20amps. More than most offroaders will ever need.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:09 PM
Tech Elite

You could try the eBay route for used chargers and power supplies. Just be careful of what your getting and read the descriptions and the users feedback. Buying on eBay is a user preference.

If it where me, I don't buy used electronics from eBay. Again, that's just my preference.

I buy NIB (new in box) from my LHS.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:12 PM
Tech Elite

This is my power supply. I can charge three batteries at 5 amps using my Pulsar's with no problems.

But, if it's too much money, go with the MRC Brain, it includes a power supply..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.