Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
jammin x1x Force .28 and mccoy mc59 glow plug? >

jammin x1x Force .28 and mccoy mc59 glow plug?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

jammin x1x Force .28 and mccoy mc59 glow plug?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 05:56 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default jammin x1x Force .28 and mccoy mc59 glow plug?

I am a newbie to nitro and i burned out a glow plug and purchased a set of dynamite mccoy mc59 plugs. They were highly recommended by my LHS. I got home and compared them to the factory plug and its quite a bit longer. After reading the manual it says not to use the mc59. What exactly is the reason? I installed it and checked the clearance with and without the brass washer and there is plenty of clearance (10 to 15 thousandths). Im thinking maybe it has to do with their 20% nitro fuel recommendation and the longer plug bumping up the compression causing a change in the ignition timing. Im running 30% cold fusion fuel. Will this setup be ok or will i cost myself some cash? I wont be able to get back to the store until monday and would like to run it this weekend.

Last edited by smccolp; 12-31-2010 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by smccolp
I am a newbie to nitro and i burned out a glow plug and purchased a set of dynamite mccoy mc59 plugs. They were highly recommended by my LHS. I got home and compared them to the factory plug and its quite a bit longer. After reading the manual it says not to use the mc59. What exactly is the reason? I installed it and checked the clearance with and without the brass washer and there is plenty of clearance (10 to 15 thousandths). Im thinking maybe it has to do with their 20% nitro fuel recommendation and the longer plug bumping up the compression causing a change in the ignition timing. Im running 30% cold fusion fuel. Will this setup be ok or will i cost myself some cash? I wont be able to get back to the store until monday and would like to run it this weekend.
it will work but rec. MC8 plug (McCoy)
Old 01-01-2011, 02:32 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigmatt
it will work but rec. MC8 plug (McCoy)
thats a pretty hot plug for a big block engine , i would also recommend something a lil cooler such as a mccoy mc8 , odonnell 99 or 100 , OS A5 i believe is what you need if you are supposed to be using a short plug .

tip: you can use long standard plugs in short standard buttons by using two copper washers instead of one

btw , just install two washers and run this weekend , be careful and pay attention to the engine , if it starts runnin funny then change the plug , mccoy mc59 plugs are notorious for letting the filament go and having it fly through the engine
Old 01-02-2011, 08:11 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks guys!