Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree6Likes

Schumacher Mi4

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 10:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I have the original mi4 and was wanting to go to the cxl for next winter onroad carpet season. How much of a improvment am I going to see running this one over the one I have now? Thanks.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Blitzrockey
I have the original mi4 and was wanting to go to the cxl for next winter onroad carpet season. How much of a improvment am I going to see running this one over the one I have now? Thanks.
big time improvement on steering...car is way more planted.

a few post/pages back someone type in the overall differences between a CX vs a CXL.
from a MI4 to CXL the change especially the durability is 100% effectiveness.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:03 PM
Tech Elite

Default setup base

If anyone wants to try a different setup...
I've been using this as a base for most of my cars...
CXL or CX.
Note: I am using the steering crank from CXL on the CX ...it just gives way more response

I find the biggest change track to track is the wheelbase shims...move 1mm forward or back and usually the car is dialed in.

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MI4CX_L base setup.pdf (201.2 KB, 224 views)
Old 04-15-2012, 04:49 PM
Tech Elite

Default congrats

Congrats to Hofer..
he held his ground at the ETS
talk about close racing.

Pro Stock A-main leg 3 results
1. (2) Zdenko Kunák (SK) – 23/5:06.105
2. (3) Martin Hofer (DE) – 23/5:07.244
3. (1) Oliver Franke (DE) – 23/5:08.504
4. (5) Steffen Leinburger (DE) – 23/5:09.547
5. (4) Ivan Laptev (RU) – 23/5:09.958

i think he was sitting in 5th position overall in ProStock.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:31 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Parts support

I am seriously considering this car. However, I have a concern about parts support in the US. I noticed Amain carries parts but I am not seeing essential parts like steering knuckles (front hub carriers). In fact, they are showing out of stock on the shumacher website. Are they available somewhere?
Old 04-17-2012, 01:39 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bdortch
I am seriously considering this car. However, I have a concern about parts support in the US. I noticed Amain carries parts but I am not seeing essential parts like steering knuckles (front hub carriers). In fact, they are showing out of stock on the shumacher website. Are they available somewhere?
Get it.....i am soo glad i made the choice...the cars is freakin durable...it's crazy smooth on the track.
a little Youtube candy..first time out on asphalt (carpet season is over )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioRdu...77jxRficfboNM=
My car is the Yellow rear with Platinum white front end. Did i say I love my car
if you have any questions please feel to ask.

Stormerhobbies.com
has stuff in stock...***don't forget suspension parts from MI3.5 fit the Mi4 when you're in a pinch.
http://www.stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...umb=on&smode=0

Amain and Stormer will usually have stuff in stock.
I never have problems getting parts. if anything easier to get parts than other brands. I know I've dealt with all the brands

Last edited by olhipster1; 04-17-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:31 PM
Tech Adept

I will say, I like the look of the car. However, how easy and convenient is it to work on? I am thinking about stuff like changing the top links from longer to short or vice versa - you have to install a whole new link plate...

Also, how is the steering feel with the steering unit mounted to bulkheads? How does it compare the feel of a more traditional steering set being mounted on chassis? Is there an option available to flip servo and run a more conventional steering setup?

What are the characteristics of the suspension mounts being on the bulkheads versus the chassis?

And, how is the build quality? I am coming from Xray so, I have been spoiled.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:46 PM
Tech Elite

how easy and convenient is it to work on? I am thinking about stuff like changing the top links from longer to short or vice versa you have to install a whole new link plate...
Yes change the plate if you change the inner length.
only need a 4 dot plate as option...all others not needed.
the biggest headache on most cars nowadays is easy as pie on this-changing pinion super easy-changing motors super super easy..Everything else is similar as others.

Also, how is the steering feel with the steering unit mounted to bulkheads? How does it compare the feel of a more traditional steering set being mounted on chassis?
the height of the steering plate mount is about average to others. think tamiya is the lowest position, which i don't like.

Is there an option available to flip servo and run a more conventional steering setup?
none that I know of but why its not needed.

What are the characteristics of the suspension mounts being on the bulkheads versus the chassis?
[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]that is loaded question..there are other thread on RCtech to answer that.[/COLOR]
i have both types....unless you're running with the likes of Hara, Hofer, Volker etc....doesn't matter.

build quality is exceptional...on par with Xray, Tam, HB....all others are below.
shocks are butter smooth, gotta build it right.

The best thing so far....it comes fully loaded....ran on carpet and now on asphalt no ESC needed so far.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I will say, I like the look of the car. However, how easy and convenient is it to work on? I am thinking about stuff like changing the top links from longer to short or vice versa - you have to install a whole new link plate...
For the link plates, check out the Smokem ones. They have three pairs of holes so you can do different lengths without changing plates.

Diffs are harder to get out with the new long top deck, because you have to remove the whole top deck. However, you don't have to mess with the shock tower, and shouldn't have to mess with the camber links, unless you've got them reall long/low. It can sometimes be hard to get the spool out around the steering.

Everything else on the car seems as easy as everything else out there.

Also, how is the steering feel with the steering unit mounted to bulkheads? How does it compare the feel of a more traditional steering set being mounted on chassis? Is there an option available to flip servo and run a more conventional steering setup?
There's the twin-point steering set. It adds weight and makes it a lot harder to get the spool out. It changes the feel, but I don't think it's really necessary. The CXL kit steering is good enough for Hofer. He does mount his to the chassis with spacers instead of the bulkheads, though.

Never driven a car with chassis-mounted arms. You can't easily change hinge pin height on the Schui. This could be an issue if you run unusually tall/short tires. There are optional aluminum hinge pin mounts that let you do it, but they're spendy and heavy.

I haven't built an Xray, but the build quality on my Mi4LP was flawless. Everything fit absolutely perfectly.

-Mike
Old 04-19-2012, 02:24 PM
Tech Adept

All of this is good information. I guess my biggest concern is the fact they have released a new car in 2012, yet, I see essential items such as steering knuckles out of stock everywhere, including the racing-cars.com website. Stormer has two available.

Furthermore, I am in the states and amain and stormer are the only ones carrying parts for them. So when that stock is depleted, what happens then?
Old 04-19-2012, 08:47 PM
Tech Elite

All of this is good information. I guess my biggest concern is the fact they have released a new car in 2012, yet, I see essential items such as steering knuckles out of stock everywhere, including the racing-cars.com website. Stormer has two available.

Furthermore, I am in the states and amain and stormer are the only ones carrying parts for them. So when that stock is depleted, what happens then?
I am in states also...not one issue getting parts.
I have to say your question is a bit upside down...parts are depleted more parts are ordered.
By the way 90 % are the same parts between the CXL and the CX.

At the end of the day get something to have fun.

Last edited by olhipster1; 04-20-2012 at 09:42 AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:01 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)

I have the Mi4LP and the only parts I've broken are the steering knuckles. I went through 4 knuckles in 2 weekends, wasn't very pleased since I really didn't hit anything that hard, but VTA is a little rougher I guess. I switched to some Xray T3 medium knuckles and just drilled out the holes to accommodate the larger Schumacher king pins, so far so good, I got clobbered in VTA this past weekend and they show no signs of stress. The rest of the kit is awesome and super easy to work on. The best part is the ease of changing the pinion and adjusting mesh. I'm looking for another LP to run as a GT car i like it so much.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:39 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by aarivers
I have the Mi4LP and the only parts I've broken are the steering knuckles. I went through 4 knuckles in 2 weekends, wasn't very pleased since I really didn't hit anything that hard, but VTA is a little rougher I guess. I switched to some Xray T3 medium knuckles and just drilled out the holes to accommodate the larger Schumacher king pins, so far so good, I got clobbered in VTA this past weekend and they show no signs of stress. The rest of the kit is awesome and super easy to work on. The best part is the ease of changing the pinion and adjusting mesh. I'm looking for another LP to run as a GT car i like it so much.
not sure if you tried it..but the Xray chub bushing fit in the Schumacher Chub. that way you can uses a standard/longer pivot ball like the Associated, Xray..etc.etc.. instead of the king pin setup.
this would add another tuning option to the car allowing to use shims on the outer front camber link.
i have only broken 1 steering knuckle in 2.5 months.
Another tip brought by a Schu devotee.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:10 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)

Originally Posted by olhipster1
not sure if you tried it..but the Xray chub bushing fit in the Schumacher Chub. that way you can uses a standard/longer pivot ball like the Associated, Xray..etc.etc.. instead of the king pin setup.
this would add another tuning option to the car allowing to use shims on the outer front camber link.
i have only broken 1 steering knuckle in 2.5 months.
Another tip brought by a Schu devotee.
I didn't have any of the other Xray parts laying around so I did it this way. I might try the pivot ball method down the road though, but this weekend it seemed to work great, qualified 3rd, I needed to clean and re-oil the bearings as it seemed like it was binding a little under side loading.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:00 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Does the CXL come with a gear diff in the back and a front spool?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.