Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 06:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

It's weird since my kit is brand new too. The bearings were very loose. I should try buying an aftermarket plate just to see if it is better. I don't think that the teflon tape will last too long.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:46 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by WeatherB
Here is what I did:

1. The two ball bearings that go into that purple aluminum piece were loose and caused the majority of the slop. I removed them and added some teflon tape around them until there was no more slop

2. The small of the two plastic pieces that go into the rods (the rods that are screwed into the bulkhead) needs a few washers on top to fill in the extra gap.
1 I also noticed the slop in the bearings I just received a carbon fiber replacement seems to do the trick there part is by 3racing

2 looking at the car from the front is this the left post or the right post.

another thing I ntoticed if you dont get everything set just right when reinstalling the bulkhead cover it causes sever binding in the steering.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:53 PM
Tech Elite

It's weird since my kit is brand new too. The bearings were very loose. I should try buying an aftermarket plate just to see if it is better. I don't think that the teflon tape will last too long.
I have a graphite drag plate that I used for a while, and it had more slop than my alloy drag plate. It looks like these plates are stamped not machined so this would explain the difference between plates. A good quality graphite plate will be CNC machined and in theory should have almost 0 slop.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by regg151
1 I also noticed the slop in the bearings I just received a carbon fiber replacement seems to do the trick there part is by 3racing

2 looking at the car from the front is this the left post or the right post.

another thing I ntoticed if you dont get everything set just right when reinstalling the bulkhead cover it causes sever binding in the steering.
Good to hear I got that and was going to make a report on that once installed. Good to know it did fix that problem so, thats also why I got the part. To see if fitment can be made better.

Also the teflon tape will last forever basically. The bearing wont be rubbing against it. It stays still on the outer wall and the interior moves only. And with the tape it will for sure do that now so no sliding around.

But it seems the 3racing graphite plate is the way to go otherwise.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:56 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by AMGRacer
Ahhhhhhhhhh now is see why. My bearings fit into my plate with no slop. Must be a machining tolerance thing..................
Yeah mine are sloppy joe style. I will try my 3racing piece tommorrow then and let you know if it doesnt have different tolerances.

LOL this would be funny if it comes down to searching for the "perfect machined" steering plate. I think Ill just stick to my teflon tape if it comes to that.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:56 PM
Tech Master

Here is what I did:

1. The two ball bearings that go into that purple aluminum piece were loose and caused the majority of the slop. I removed them and added some teflon tape around them until there was no more slop

2. The small of the two plastic pieces that go into the rods (the rods that are screwed into the bulkhead) needs a few washers on top to fill in the extra gap.
Wow, the bearings in both of my r40 are almost too tight. I was a little afraid they might get distorted with the force of driving them in.
Old 06-01-2005, 02:20 AM
Tech Regular

Exclamation just got my r40

2nd hand and pretty used up, but i think it still runs

this is my 1st nitro car, i have absolutely no idea what to do with it.

where should i start?
i need some pointers.. thanx!

Last edited by silver_spo0n; 06-01-2005 at 02:21 AM. Reason: wrong grammar
Old 06-01-2005, 03:32 AM
Tech Addict

Looking from the front it would be the right one (left one being the one connected to the servo).

I think I will add some drops of CA and glue the bearing to the plate while I am installing the other bearings today.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:30 AM
Tech Elite

Looking from the front it would be the right one (left one being the one connected to the servo).

I think I will add some drops of CA and glue the bearing to the plate while I am installing the other bearings today.
Thats another way, but youll never be able to clean those bearings good again. Also if you bend your plate or something youll have a hard time getting them out.

Im probably going to put together a page of all my findings so people can easily reference it.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:31 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Rapid Roy
Wow, the bearings in both of my r40 are almost too tight. I was a little afraid they might get distorted with the force of driving them in.
Well im glad we figured out why a lot of people have or dont have slop. This is good stuff.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:13 AM
Tech Addict

I think I will take that chance... Bearings aren't too expensive anyway.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:13 AM
Tech Initiate

Hey Everyone,

I am new to this forum.... and am looking at getting an R40... I am not new to the RC scene. I am just wondering what are the best hop-ups to get for this car. I already have the lightweight chassis and front one-way on the way.....what do you all think woud be good upgrades also.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:42 AM
Tech Regular

interesting on mine the right post is fine dosen't move at all it's the left post (connected to the servo) that moves about 2mm up and down on the shaft with everything bolted down.
I'm using the GPM alloy servo saver.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:46 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by R40LV
Hey Everyone,

I am new to this forum.... and am looking at getting an R40... I am not new to the RC scene. I am just wondering what are the best hop-ups to get for this car. I already have the lightweight chassis and front one-way on the way.....what do you all think woud be good upgrades also.
get both LW shafts and the LW 2 speed as well as the graphite shock towers those are IMHO the best upgrades to get.

I'd suggest reading thru this thread as you'll find some very usefull information that will answer questions you wouldn't even think to ask, I know it's a lot of reading but it's worth it for all the knowlage contained in this thread.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:00 AM
Tech Addict

On mine it is the opposite, the one with the servo attached doesnt move.

You don't really need any hopups for this car! The carbon stuff is mostly eye-candy but does save some weight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.