Search
Like Tree248Likes

Xray XB4 thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 08:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by glock man
Hello Gents! I recently purchased an Xray b4. I should have it here by Friday. I am new to 4x4 buggies. I read good things and bad things about the xb4. I just couldn't wait for Losi to elevate their game. I am reading this thread and see people are having problems with landings on xb4. Any advice would be great. Also what motor shold i run? I have a brand new orion pro 160 amop speedo i plan to use. Also what parts should I stock up on? Last thing i want is to break down and not be able to continue racing.

Thanks guys
The car is a beast. Easily as durable as any other 4wd. Some people will just complain about anything. I beat the crap out of mine and have barely broken anything.

I have an orion vortex r10 in mine too. I use a 6.5 ReVtech motor. Most guys I know use 5.5-7.5 in 4wd.

Stock up on spare wings. Wing mounts too. The backs of the mounts tend to break off

I have spares of most things, but I haven't needed much. Killed a couple of wing mounts, a spur and a set of diff internals. Most recently I managed to mangle a steel diff outdrive though(weird random break that I highly doubt will ever happen again). Virtually everything I broke was my fault. I have not been remotely gentle with this car. It amazes me that I haven't broken a lot more. It's a very durable car.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by glock man
Hello Gents! I recently purchased an Xray b4. I should have it here by Friday. I am new to 4x4 buggies. I read good things and bad things about the xb4. I just couldn't wait for Losi to elevate their game. I am reading this thread and see people are having problems with landings on xb4. Any advice would be great. Also what motor shold i run? I have a brand new orion pro 160 amop speedo i plan to use. Also what parts should I stock up on? Last thing i want is to break down and not be able to continue racing.

Thanks guys
This too was my first 4wd buggy and its a BLAST!!! (should of bought it months ago!) I bought mine used from an xray driver so it had the V2 stuff. Landings are one of the hardest things to get right and be consistent with. The only issue that I have is filling the front end up with soft dirt every now and then (wished it came with a curved bumper). With that in mind I have not broken anything... yet (and remember this is my first 4wd). I did purchase an 84 spur, drive shaft pins, and extra full complete diffs

I had an LRP 6.5 but fried it... now im running an orion 7.5 with 84/23 gearing and its fast. so depending on your track you should look around the 5.5-10.5
Old 08-13-2013, 09:03 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by locked
I have not been remotely gentle with this car. It amazes me that I haven't broken a lot more. It's a very durable car.
Statement of the year with this car!!! so true!
Old 08-13-2013, 10:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by locked
The car is a beast. Easily as durable as any other 4wd. Some people will just complain about anything. I beat the crap out of mine and have barely broken anything.

I have an orion vortex r10 in mine too. I use a 6.5 ReVtech motor. Most guys I know use 5.5-7.5 in 4wd.

Stock up on spare wings. Wing mounts too. The backs of the mounts tend to break off

I have spares of most things, but I haven't needed much. Killed a couple of wing mounts, a spur and a set of diff internals. Most recently I managed to mangle a steel diff outdrive though(weird random break that I highly doubt will ever happen again). Virtually everything I broke was my fault. I have not been remotely gentle with this car. It amazes me that I haven't broken a lot more. It's a very durable car.
locked, Thanks for your advice.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by joeymdz
This too was my first 4wd buggy and its a BLAST!!! (should of bought it months ago!) I bought mine used from an xray driver so it had the V2 stuff. Landings are one of the hardest things to get right and be consistent with. The only issue that I have is filling the front end up with soft dirt every now and then (wished it came with a curved bumper). With that in mind I have not broken anything... yet (and remember this is my first 4wd). I did purchase an 84 spur, drive shaft pins, and extra full complete diffs

I had an LRP 6.5 but fried it... now im running an orion 7.5 with 84/23 gearing and its fast. so depending on your track you should look around the 5.5-10.5
joeymdz, thanks for the advice. think Ill un a 7.5 and try it out. What brand pinion gears are you guys buying?
Old 08-13-2013, 10:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

I've got LRP X20 7.5 in mine and its a beast
Old 08-13-2013, 10:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by .AJ.
I've got LRP X20 7.5 in mine and its a beast
What pinion gear are you using? 48 pitch?
Old 08-13-2013, 11:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

replied to your pm.

It's a 48p spur, so you need 48 pitch pinions. I think I have a 20 tooth Robinson pinion on there at the moment(at work, can't check). I'm sure any brand of 48p pinion will fit fine.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I ended up going with the xray finally and am super happy with it. I have only ran 6 battery packs through it so far, but I have not broken a single thing. Running an 8.5 on a 92x48 indoor clay track and it has plenty of power. Very well designed vehicle, good quality parts, fit and finish is top notch. This is my first 4wd buggy ever, and I am very happy with it. First race out I tq'ed (9 cars in the class), but made too many mistakes in the main and ended up 3rd. The base setup is easy to drive. It jumps well. Not much more I can say. Good stuff.

Jason
Old 08-13-2013, 11:18 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 259 (100%+)

Landings are one of the hardest things to get right and be consistent with. The only issue that I have is filling the front end up with soft dirt every now and then (wished it came with a curved bumper).
Try putting a RC10GT rear bumper on the front of the car. You have to do some modifications but mine works great and no more dirt mounds on the front of the car. I'll post a pic when I get home.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:30 AM
Tech Master

Landings are one of the hardest things to get right and be consistent with. The only issue that I have is filling the front end up with soft dirt every now and then (wished it came with a curved bumper).
Originally Posted by rraden
Try putting a RC10GT rear bumper on the front of the car. You have to do some modifications but mine works great and no more dirt mounds on the front of the car. I'll post a pic when I get home.
BugleBoyRacing offer a curved front bumper for the XB4

It protects the original front bumper and hinge pin holder.

But it does however rob you of a few mm of ground clearance and extend a bit in the front as well, which is quite noticeable on certain tracks.

Bent
Old 08-13-2013, 11:42 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the idea guys for the front bumper... But I'll just do it the old fashion way and learn to downside the correct way!! HAHA

PS~ to my original question has anyone noticed that weighing the diff oil and eyeballing it is not the same? (should I just rely on eyeballing it?)
Old 08-13-2013, 01:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

just a quick question or 2..

are the new kits coming with the V2 parts? diffs and gears and such?

also, anyone else notice most factory guys are going away from the button head screws, to countersunk with washers?
Old 08-13-2013, 02:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Guess just to spread the load. The washers a bit wider and has more give than a steel button head.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:13 PM
Tech Initiate

As for the wing problems (and as seen with many other cars). I mounted a RudeBits wing and had no problems since. LMR also makes decent wings... They are thicker and way a bit more but they are really though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.