Wiki Posts
Search

New SS13.5 Pro Stock Brushless Motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 09:56 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by waltuo
Is anyone having thermal shutdown problems with the GTB/13.5 combo in hot areas like GA? Several of the racers in our group today, including myself, had our GTBs shutdown; sometimes after a minute or so and other times after 4 minutes.

Granted today was very hot and humid; track temp was 145F last I checked it. We were all geared in the 4.9 - 5.2 (FDR) range. One of the guys in our group fried his combo; another was never able to finish a run without shutting down.

Just curious if others in similar climates are having similar problems.
Where you running a fan?
And which profile. The #1 profile seems to be the coolest running profile to my experience.
And was it sintered rotors?
Old 05-13-2007, 12:39 AM
Tech Rookie

Hello there,

Anyone using the 13.5 pro with their old supersport esc?
considering that as an option for my touring car. (fit and forget),

i have not tried sintered yet but would guess the extra braking effect will of-set the no-brakes of the supersport.
its all 27t stock motors at my club. i usually run 1/12th.

i have 2 x gtb's and 2x ss 5800's but would prefer to use the gtb's in my b4 buggy and 1/12th

thanks

Phil
Old 05-13-2007, 06:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by UN4RACING
Where you running a fan?
And which profile. The #1 profile seems to be the coolest running profile to my experience.
And was it sintered rotors?
I was running an Integy fan on the motor and of course all of us were using the stock fan on the GTB. I was using the default profile (#1); not sure what the others were using. All of us were using the 13.5 Pro which of course has the sintered rotor.
Old 05-13-2007, 05:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by fzr phil
Hello there,

Anyone using the 13.5 pro with their old supersport esc?
considering that as an option for my touring car. (fit and forget),

i have not tried sintered yet but would guess the extra braking effect will of-set the no-brakes of the supersport.
its all 27t stock motors at my club. i usually run 1/12th.

i have 2 x gtb's and 2x ss 5800's but would prefer to use the gtb's in my b4 buggy and 1/12th

thanks

Phil
I have used the 13.5pro with the original SuperSport esc. I had to use the SS while I was waiting on my GTB spektrum version to come in a few weeks back. Anyways, the car will coast into the turns due to no drag brake. So I had to setup the car accordingly. Plus I used the brakes more in the hairpins. It wasn't bad. It was drivable. But if you ever get a chance to swap out the SS in the future, I'd do it. The weather was cool/warm. And my friend did manage to thermo it after the mains when I let him drive it. I'm not sure on the thermo cutoff temp on the SS. But it did hold up during the 3 qualifiers and main. I'd recommend a fan if you do use it.
Old 05-13-2007, 05:30 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by waltuo
Is anyone having thermal shutdown problems with the GTB/13.5 combo in hot areas like GA? Several of the racers in our group today, including myself, had our GTBs shutdown; sometimes after a minute or so and other times after 4 minutes.

Granted today was very hot and humid; track temp was 145F last I checked it. We were all geared in the 4.9 - 5.2 (FDR) range. One of the guys in our group fried his combo; another was never able to finish a run without shutting down.

Just curious if others in similar climates are having similar problems.
Were you guys running the Pro (sintered) or first gen (bonded) 13.5? I ran mine yesterday in Easley, SC. And it was hot/humid before the rain came. But I didn't thermo it. I also ran the 10.5 pro in mod class using the breaks heavy in certain turns and the motor was super hot after the qualifier. But I didn't thermo it either. I'm running the GTB Spektrum version. How big is the track?
Old 05-13-2007, 06:05 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by KilRuf
Were you guys running the Pro (sintered) or first gen (bonded) 13.5? I ran mine yesterday in Easley, SC. And it was hot/humid before the rain came. But I didn't thermo it. I also ran the 10.5 pro in mod class using the breaks heavy in certain turns and the motor was super hot after the qualifier. But I didn't thermo it either. I'm running the GTB Spektrum version. How big is the track?
I must not have met you yesterday (I think I might know who you are though).. I was racing in Easley too, I raced in mod. I had the car with a pink body that was basically ripped in half (finally painted a new one today). Since we had people that wanted to run mod I didn't get to try out my new 13.5. I have tested it up and down the street though with no problems of heat at all, just warm.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

i also run with erik and i've only thermalled my gtb once and that was running a 5.5R smack in the middle of summer.. make sure the drag brake isn't up...
Old 05-13-2007, 08:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ErikRC10
I must not have met you yesterday (I think I might know who you are though).. I was racing in Easley too, I raced in mod. I had the car with a pink body that was basically ripped in half (finally painted a new one today). Since we had people that wanted to run mod I didn't get to try out my new 13.5. I have tested it up and down the street though with no problems of heat at all, just warm.
Was I pitting next to ya? I had the Orange/White car in Mod. I ran the 10.5t pro motor. My drag brake was set to 6 on profile 1. Luckily they didn't have the 3.5t motor in the store, or I would of bought that and run it instead. But all they had were the 13.5t pro and 10.5t pro. For your track in Easley, I used brakes at the end of the back straight, and the hairpin/s turn right after the straight. Other turns are just half throttle and blips.

Anyways, I'll find out for sure. Our asphalt tracks in Durham and Rosewood get very hot during the summer. It'll be a good test for sure!
Old 05-14-2007, 11:27 AM
Tech Rookie

thanks for the tips,
i have ordered one. will see how it goes.

next thing will be gearing. in a tc4 on rubber, vtec 24r with 3700's med indoor carpet track. (brentwood rccc)

All the best
Phil
Old 05-18-2007, 05:17 PM
Tech Rookie

well,
went from 28/72 to 30/72 and 32/72 in the final with my orig supersport speedo and 3700's. speed was definately there in the end. though missed the drag brake at the end of the straight mainly and at one other turn. loathe to use the gtb though at the moment.
hopefully i can work on car set up a bit more now. might be worth dropping the spur gear too from 72 to 69 or even 88(64dp).

best laps were 27 in final against 29/30 for top runners, lot to do in setup and driving!

promising alternative to 27t !

thanks
Phil
Old 05-30-2007, 10:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

Ran it with a 32 tooth pinion today, 2 teeth over a CO27 (30-96), seemed just as fast, and came off the track just warm to the touch. probably could use a 34 or 35 if you want to make it as fast as possible. I bought it for practice, and it runs over 15 minutes with IB4200's. With 2 chargers, you can practically hot lap from pack to pack and if slightly under geared, it never gets hot, and obviously never loses performance.

The tires sure take a beating though....
Old 05-31-2007, 08:41 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi all,

With regards to the Novak 13.5 system, What gear ratio/final drive would people use for indoor carpit tracks and outdoor tracks.

Cheers
Old 05-31-2007, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WopArse
Hi all,

With regards to the Novak 13.5 system, What gear ratio/final drive would people use for indoor carpit tracks and outdoor tracks.

Cheers
for outdoor asphalt Im running anywhere between a 4.09fdr to a 3.96fdr (with the sintered rotor)
Old 05-31-2007, 12:59 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
for outdoor asphalt Im running anywhere between a 4.09fdr to a 3.96fdr (with the sintered rotor)
How big is the track? Are you running 5-cell/6-cell? Any heat issues?
Old 06-01-2007, 01:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

what is the FDR of 13.5 BL? thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.