R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   New SS13.5 Pro Stock Brushless Motor (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/153984-new-ss13-5-pro-stock-brushless-motor.html)

James35 03-13-2007 02:31 PM

Novak SS13.5 Pro Stock Brushless Motor
 
My new Novak 13.5 Pro came in the mail today. Here is the locked orange timing ring and ribbed can that Novak was talking about:
http://www.laddergames.com/images/IMG_9849t.jpg

http://www.laddergames.com/images/IMG_9857t.jpg

The package showed the same model number (#3413) as the original motor. So it looks like Novak will no longer be making the old version. Pretty sweet deal, to get this for $76 and it includes the sintered rotor.

At our local track, we do not allow the sintered rotor in our brushless stock class, but now that Novak is changing this motor to include the sintered rotor, we are going to have to change our track rules. I suppose it's beneficial in the long run, and will only cost people $29 to buy the sintered rotor for their old 13.5 version. Additionally, if sintered rotors become the norm in stock racing, then it will ease people's minds who might be wondering if they were cheating by running a sintered rotor. So I like this solution in the long term.

hierog 03-13-2007 02:35 PM

where did you find this for $76!!?

Iceracer 03-13-2007 02:37 PM

Help me out here on understanding "stock" brushless specs. 13.5 refers to winds ??

How's that system relate to the other numbers like 5800 (kv)?

Is Novak the king of the "stock" brushless class? Or at least the standard?

James35 03-13-2007 02:38 PM


Originally Posted by hierog
where did you find this for $76!!?

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXNJA2&P=ML
(Tower's picture is outdated)

JamesMOM 03-13-2007 02:57 PM

how many rule changes do you need in one season to be competitive

how many motors will you have to buy to be competitive

how many rotors do you need to be competitive

brushless was supposed to save you time to work on you car set up, not spend, spend, spend

how much more money do you want spend, just to be disappointed

do you enjoy spending all this money instead of working on your car set up

i'm thinking no on more rule changes, even if there is another meeting, so you can keep up with the old school technology, and make the others think they need to spend more on their stuff

mom

hyperdrivepro 03-13-2007 03:04 PM

Wow I didn't know your Mom was on here. Its good that you can both share a hobby. jk Haha

James35 03-13-2007 03:05 PM


Originally Posted by Iceracer
Help me out here on understanding "stock" brushless specs. 13.5 refers to winds ??

How's that system relate to the other numbers like 5800 (kv)?

Is Novak the king of the "stock" brushless class? Or at least the standard?

Yes, 13.5 stands for the number of winds (turns). Here is Novak's brushless motor chart.
The Novak 13.5 stock brushless motor is equivalent to a 27 turn brushed stock motor.
The Novak 4300 (10.5 turns) is equivalent to a 19 turn brushed motor.
And yes, Novak is the standard for brushless racing. The 2 biggest brushless classes are the 13.5 and the 4300.

joey 03-13-2007 03:07 PM

my LHS ordered me a 13.5 this week i hope i get the same version!..

tallyrc 03-13-2007 03:19 PM

jamesmom, can you remind us all again how stock motors let alone brushless stock motors have anything to do with your car setup? other than how brushless motors free those of us with them up to work on our setups rather than spending countless hours and dollars rebuilding and cutting old tech brushed motors..which by the way also come out with new versions all the time? thanks... i suppose you are still running some standup brush race prep from the 80's in stock? or have you found something better or faster or lower maintenance?

tallyrc 03-13-2007 03:23 PM


Originally Posted by JamesMOM
how many motors will you have to buy to be competitive

how many rotors do you need to be competitive


mom

the answer to both of those questions in regards to brushed motors is dozens.. most "average" racers i know that go to a competitive race buy atleast 4.. you know cause of the duds.. otherwise motor builders wouldn't exist...

Iceracer 03-13-2007 03:31 PM

The way I see it is you have two choices:

a high maintenance item

a low maintenance item

both of which you can always spend more or less on depending on quality and preference, and the desire to remain on the cutting edge. My vote is for allowing racers to buy something that at least for the racing season performs as well as it did the day it came out of the box. The difference in price between a $45 dollar tuned brush motor and a $75.00 brushless is negligible in the scheme of things considering the gas I burn driving to the track, track fees, tires, etc.

ErikRC10 03-13-2007 03:48 PM

HAHA!! Well Jason you know why I'm laughing....

I would like to get 1 or 2 of these but I want to wait until they've been out for a wile and buy them used. I doubt there will be many more advances in brushless motors, atleast not for a while, and the arguement of how many will we need to be competitive does not hold up because the hot brushed motor changes everyweek.

James35 03-13-2007 03:53 PM


Originally Posted by joey
my LHS ordered me a 13.5 this week i hope i get the same version!..

Yep, I'm sure you will get the new version. You'll notice that the 13.5's were out of stock for a few weeks. Then Novak announced the new changes and then stock supply started coming in. Tower changed the name to include "Pro". It's looking more and more like when you order the #3413, you'll get the new Pro version from now on, especially considering the price is the same. It also makes sense that Novak is doing this for manufacturing reasons. Looks like soon they will all have the ribbed cans, and sintered rotors. This makes it cheaper for manufacturing if everything is the same. They are very close to that now. They all have the ribbed cans, and I think the Crawler 18.5 will be the only one without a sintered rotor.

It's also nice to see that they may have changed the name of the 4300 to the SS10.5 and the 5800 to SS8.5.

joey 03-13-2007 04:04 PM


Originally Posted by James35
Yep, I'm sure you will get the new version. You'll notice that the 13.5's were out of stock for a few weeks. Then Novak announced the new changes and then stock supply started coming in. Tower changed the name to include "Pro". It's looking more and more like when you order the #3413, you'll get the new Pro version from now on, especially considering the price is the same. It also makes sense that Novak is doing this for manufacturing reasons. Looks like soon they will all have the ribbed cans, and sintered rotors. This makes it cheaper for manufacturing if everything is the same. They are very close to that now. They all have the ribbed cans, and I think the Crawler 18.5 will be the only one without a sintered rotor.

It's also nice to see that they may have changed the name of the 4300 to the SS10.5 and the 5800 to SS8.5.


kool cant wait to get the motor and GTB tomorrow for my cyclone im buildin as we speak :D

Kings Kid 03-13-2007 05:46 PM


Originally Posted by JamesMOM
how many rule changes do you need in one season to be competitive

how many motors will you have to buy to be competitive

how many rotors do you need to be competitive

brushless was supposed to save you time to work on you car set up, not spend, spend, spend

how much more money do you want spend, just to be disappointed

do you enjoy spending all this money instead of working on your car set up

i'm thinking no on more rule changes, even if there is another meeting, so you can keep up with the old school technology, and make the others think they need to spend more on their stuff

mom

A little brushless story: " the tale of two brushless motors"
motor # 1, went into a touring car in september, with a sintered rotor, ran two practice days per week plus one raceday every two weeks for two ten week seasons. Still a rocket, no problems, cleaned once.(just for the heck of it, didn't need it.) Motor #2, also sintered ,was loaned to a track owner for testing for a season, loaned to my son for a couple of weeks until he got his own. Then went into my 1/12th crc for the remainder of the indoor season. Will end up in my wife's Bj4 for outdoors and no problems to date. Paid $75 a piece for them, and last year to run touring alone I bought six motors @ $35 each. Guess what I'm runnig from now on? :nod: :lol: :lol: :lol:


All times are GMT -7. It is currently 06:46 PM.

Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.3.8
Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.