Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lipo Legalization

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 12:02 PM
Tech Master

It called progression George....

Do you want steps toward a goal, or nothing?
Old 05-18-2007, 12:14 PM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by Orange
It called progression George....

Do you want steps toward a goal, or nothing?
I got the time for you to figure that one out ...

Like I said , I can race my Li-po just about anywhere in mod in the N/w....

Its Roar that needs to adjust , not me .....
Old 05-18-2007, 12:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

http://rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=163827

People have been running lipo/brushless trucks for several years at major off road tracks on the east coast and roar has listened. You can purchase 8k mah 7.4 volt lipos for $85 shipped w/ plugs. They weigh slightly more then a normal 6cell pack. People are getting 30 minutes of run time w/ a gtb 5.5 so I'm sure you could get 20 minutes with a 3.5. If you run it they will come.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:21 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez
Great news for you guys in love with LiPo and Brushless!!! And.. for those of you wanting to see the technology......

the 2007 ROAR Off Road Electric Nationals has added a LiPo/Brushless demo class!!!! This will be worked into the program of the four day race schedule, another first for ROAR!

Rules are this:

$50.00 entry (entry flyer will be changed)

Late sign ups ok for THIS CLASS ONLY - as long as its done no later than Wednesday at the track -before racing begins.

7.4V, any capacity LiPo battery
ANY BRUSHLESS MOTOR - open!
ROAR Legal 1:10 2wd Truck
6 minute qualifiers
20 minute A main, B main 10 minutes, the remaining mains, 6 minutes ** No bump ups **
Trophies for A main

You must either send in entry flyer from ROAR website or late sign up at the track no later than Wednesday of the event. (cash or check only)

This is open to anybody!! Even if you have signed up for three classes max as per rules, you may enter this demo class as well.

Questions to [email protected]

Dawn Sanchez
ROAR Vice President
posted at 11:00 a.m. this morning on this thread..
Old 05-18-2007, 12:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Great to hear. This is definitely a step in the right direction, although I agree with Adam about the race length pretty much eliminating some of the more popular packs available. I don't know if extended race lengths are necessarily needed right now. LiPo users like George, don't want to be segregated, but allowed to compete with everyone else on a level playing field. I can understand his frustration.

These packs aren't an alternative to nitro racing, just an alternative current batteries for electric racing. The 20-minute main is a neat idea, but I hardly think this will be the norm, or even a popular outlet for racers. The thought of marshalling a 20-minute electric main to me is nauseating.

I just hope the path started down ROAR looking for answers with this is not the only determining factor in the future of these batteries, because I don't know if you are going to get the response we all would like. I hope I'm wrong, though.

Props to ROAR for taking this step. Let's see if the truck guys can put something together on short notice to fill this class a bit.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:47 PM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by syndr0me
The fact that the races are 20 minutes worries me a little, can Orion's 4800 pack make it that long? If not, it's going to be a lot of MaxAmps packs.

Yeah, not with a mod motor, I don't think. There are going to be Orion guys motoring down in mod to make time (if they qualify) and MaxAmps guys motoring up. Kind of an odd random race time, IMO, but at least it's a step in the right direction.

Props to ROAR. Finally.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:54 PM
Tech Elite

There are a lot of companies other then max amps, orion, ect. in this battery making field. People have been running the class w/ 40+ people turnouts on a regulare basis on the east coast. You can set up any nitro vehicle to run these classes. The reason various packs differ in cost is because of the output current the cells can produce. Some cells are only rated for 10 amps per ah. Others are rated for 30 amps per ah. You can purchase 8kmah 10c packs for like $85 shipped. The 30 c packs cost at around double that. However, the 10c pack is all you need. Perhaps these companies should sale an idealistic product. A single 20 minute main will make the race day go by mutch faster then running 3 6 minute mains w/ a decent amount of time between each heat.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:56 PM
Tech Elite

If you were to be sponsored by orion or peak then odds are you are running two packs in parrallel so that you can achieve enough capacity.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:59 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

This is a wonderful first step, and it's great to see ROAR giving this an opportunity.

I'm not as familiar with off-road, but I have to echo some of the concerns mentioned by ApexSpeed. The length of the race could likely cause problems for Orion drivers, and might even hurt attendance if a 4800 pack can't make run time. That seems like a giant mistake, especially considering how much they've done to get LiPo into our hands, and easily used in R/C cars.

A weight rule might be worth consideration as well.

If you want to give this the best chance to succeed, it might be worth rethinking the plausibility of a 20 minute main, and its potential to exclude perhaps the biggest provider of LiPo batteries for R/C cars in the world.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:31 PM
Tech Regular

Hey, that is great news about the off road ROAR Nats.

I like the any brushless detail... I hope this trickles down to onroad. I might be able to travel w/ my electric to the US to race an event after all. For now I will be making plans to race at the Winternats again next year. There is nothing better than taking a week from work to play w/ my toys

Havy
Old 05-18-2007, 01:32 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by syndr0me
This is a wonderful first step, and it's great to see ROAR giving this an opportunity.

I'm not as familiar with off-road, but I have to echo some of the concerns mentioned by ApexSpeed. The length of the race could likely cause problems for Orion drivers, and might even hurt attendance if a 4800 pack can't make run time. That seems like a giant mistake, especially considering how much they've done to get LiPo into our hands, and easily used in R/C cars.

A weight rule might be worth consideration as well.

If you want to give this the best chance to succeed, it might be worth rethinking the plausibility of a 20 minute main, and its potential to exclude perhaps the biggest provider of LiPo batteries for R/C cars in the world.
nice things about demo classes and ROAR rules - it allows the official on site to make on the spot changes where necessary to ensure quality racing and fairness to each participant.

The point of the demo is to instruct not only ROAR potential spec rules to be written and educate ROAR and the membership about the viability of the class but to allow MFG's to promote their products and include themselves as ROAR Industry Affiliates to help write the rules and specs everyone will follow.

Basically, lets see how this goes... things can change.... demos are great for just this reason!!

Old 05-18-2007, 01:35 PM
Tech Regular

Ohh, just to add to the list,

Polyquest, Thunder Power and Hyperion are good batts too.

havy
Old 05-18-2007, 01:42 PM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

Sounds good, Dawn. Let's hope there is a decent turnout for this.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

This has brought a tear to my eye, might even get out the check book to re-join.....well better sleep on it.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:44 PM
Tech Regular

Just a little detail, here is where the benefit of high voltage(ex. 11.1v) low Kv motor set-up is best. Apart from causing less heat build-up in the motor and ESC, you can get a pack of 4000 mAh to last you 20 min easy. Now this does not mean the car will be faster than a 7.4v w/ high Kv rating (ex. novak 3.5), but will be as fast and the better efficiency will get you the 20 min on less mAh.

havy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.