Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lipo Legalization

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 05:24 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Lipo Legalization

was just wondering on the which governing body has sanctioned lipo use?

any news on ROAR ?
Old 05-12-2007, 06:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Legalize it - don't criticize it
Legalize it and i will advertise it

Some call it lithium polymer
Some call it li-po
Some call it dangerous
Some of them call it the future

Plane guys use it
And nitro drivers too
Legalize it, yeah, yeah
That's the best thing you can do
On-road uses it
Boat guys use it
Even 1/10 off-road too

It's good for IR
It's good for run times
Good for less maintenance
Even good for the wallet

(Many apologies to Peter Tosh)
Old 05-12-2007, 06:14 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I'm with Leodis........
Old 05-12-2007, 06:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

ROAR legalize lipo? Ya, right. Just wait till the end of the year when the 4, or 5 cell debate comes back up. ROAR couldnt even decide what to do about that, well, atleast they made a smart decision not to change anything till more info is available. And this is just about NiMh's, Lipo was denied because they dont want to take the first steps, IFMAR or some other organization will have to be first. I'm sorry to say but ROAR is a follower not a leader.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:47 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hobbipro
ROAR legalize lipo? Ya, right. Just wait till the end of the year when the 4, or 5 cell debate comes back up. ROAR couldnt even decide what to do about that, well, atleast they made a smart decision not to change anything till more info is available. And this is just about NiMh's, Lipo was denied because they dont want to take the first steps, IFMAR or some other organization will have to be first. I'm sorry to say but ROAR is a follower not a leader.
I think they should encourage lipo.
Its the obvious future. They should lead the way with the lipo trend and gain some roar supporters.
The more they wait to rule it, the more they will push people away from racing in roar races.
I think they would gain more racing support and more followers to be leaders in the march.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:36 PM
Tech Elite

if lipo is not legal soon TC will die
i think
and as for 1/12 i guess we will have to run a sort of mod cuz you cant make a lipo thats like a 4 cell.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I really don't think roar has any plans to make it legal at this point so I guess. I wouldn't hold your breath you would be holding it for a long long time I think.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Leodis.... love the tunes!!

ROAR legalize Lipo. Congress with legalize weed first!
Old 05-12-2007, 10:52 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Even if LiPo doesn't get legalized for sanctioned racing soon, allowing people to use it in clubs so they don't burn through their expensive race packs is a great first step. I understand it'll take a while for very competitive racing, but allowing it to do the heavy lifting in the clubs isn't a terrible idea.
Old 05-13-2007, 02:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Even if LiPo doesn't get legalized for sanctioned racing soon, allowing people to use it in clubs so they don't burn through their expensive race packs is a great first step. I understand it'll take a while for very competitive racing, but allowing it to do the heavy lifting in the clubs isn't a terrible idea.

the problem is a "chicken or egg" thing... local clubs are waiting for the governing bodies to approve lipo first, and i think roar is waitin for it to gain popularity to approve its use .
Old 05-13-2007, 04:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Which lithium based battery should be legal?
Old 05-13-2007, 04:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Yep, its funny how my local offroad track has nothing to do with ROAR, I dont even have to be a ROAR member to race there (YAY!), BUT for some reason they feel it necessary to try to follow ROAR approved motors, and batteries. Cant even run my Lipo's there. Problem is there's not another offroad track that runs electrics for probably 100mi. Nitro about 20mi, I can see why so many guys leave electric in general.
Its true that, IMHO, electric as a whole is suffering due to nitro, there are so many other choices for the novice racer/basher now, it makes your head spin just deciding. And these sanctioing bodies dont want to step up to the plate to help out electric by allowing Lipo technology, or anything else to benifite it. Maybe in 5yrs they will, but will it be too late by then? Right now you can buy the lipo batts, but most tracks like mine frown on them, since noone had the balls to take a stand.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hobbipro
since noone had the balls to take a stand.
It's always funny to hear crap like this, because what it REALLY means is "had the balls to take **MY** stand".

ROAR took a stand--they decided to wait. And they made the right decision for a NUMBER of reasons. Taking no stand would be to say "oh, it's ok, bring what you want" which is the absolute KILLER of a LOT of club racing classes I've observed over the last 20 years or so. Folks are always quick to say "oh, there's no advantage" yet there ALWAYS ends up being an advantage to the "outlaw" product. If there wasn't, they wouldn't want to use it.

Every successful racing series on the PLANET has technical rules, some more restrictive than others. Take NASTYCAB, for instance. I'm sure some there would like to run fuel injection (lipos) or pretty much ANY 21st century tech. Some want to go back to no restrictor plates at big tracks (back to six cells instead of four or five). People being restricted by rules is NOT just a ROAR thing...it's EVERYWHERE.

BTW...Tamiya DID approve the encased lipos from Orion (and a couple others?) for their F103 class this year.

Save your lipos for bashing/playing/practicing. Oh, can't practice with them if you race nimh? I thought they were equivalent...

Lipos are for planes and helis right now--use 'em in mine. Some day they'll be for organized racing in cars, but not for a while.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:10 AM
Tech Rookie

the thing is... that's not encouraging for new racers such as myself since i don't want to spend on nimh right now, i bought a couple and i find them hard to maintain (yes, i'hv read and tried all the tried and tested methods, but i find the lipos are best in terms of storage) ...

i have a matched pack that after 1 run, i found 1 cell damaged (zero volt) (i didn't run it below 6Volts)...

anyway, what can i do, but to have both at the moment...
Old 05-13-2007, 07:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scottrik
Some day they'll be for organized racing in cars, but not for a while.
Do you think that will happen before or after electric off-road becomes completely extinct?

By the way, RC Pro Series already allows lipos in their mod buggy, mod truck, and brushless truck classes. If you want to race the vintage classes, buy a ROAR membership. If you want to support the new technology, reinvigorate electric racing, and not buy expensive NIMH packs every 6 months, attend RC Pro Series races and race at clubs that allow lipo. If your local club is afraid of lipo and will only legalize it if/when ROAR legalizes it, race an electric stadium truck at nitro tracks until your local electric community collectively pulls its head out of its ass. That's what I'm doing.

Leodis
NORLL - National Organization for the Reformation of Li-po Legislation

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.