Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 12:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kail
Haha, your 1st para sounds a bit rude.We have been racing for a while and know what we are doing. We were racing on strict tamiya rules, hence only tamiya tires. Of course we all tried various tire combis to make the situation better.
My apologies, didnt mean it to come of that way at all. My whole post was meant along the same lines as redbones, found it funny that guys who were lucky to get the first set of 05's would say they gave up on them considering the 03/04's have years upon years of work to get them to handle. Keep at it guys and make sure you post your progress so we can all get faster with them. Mine is on order, fingers crossed it arrives before the new car hype is dead

Tamiya tires arent bad at all. Takes a few tricks to play with them. How is the TCS officials with glue on the outside tread? Personally on a dusty surface id be on S grip rear, hard inserts, M grips front, hard inserts, and CA glue the half to full outside tread blocks. that should rid you of traction rolling. Then you can work you way up with more steering. Of course forget this post if the TCS officials dont allow CA on the tires....

I cant wait to get mine, ive really looked forward to this car. If money was better, id have one in my hands. Enjoy the new toys, and enjoy finding what will work on it
Old 07-16-2009, 01:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by axle182
My apologies, didnt mean it to come of that way at all. My whole post was meant along the same lines as redbones, found it funny that guys who were lucky to get the first set of 05's would say they gave up on them considering the 03/04's have years upon years of work to get them to handle. Keep at it guys and make sure you post your progress so we can all get faster with them. Mine is on order, fingers crossed it arrives before the new car hype is dead

Tamiya tires arent bad at all. Takes a few tricks to play with them. How is the TCS officials with glue on the outside tread? Personally on a dusty surface id be on S grip rear, hard inserts, M grips front, hard inserts, and CA glue the half to full outside tread blocks. that should rid you of traction rolling. Then you can work you way up with more steering. Of course forget this post if the TCS officials dont allow CA on the tires....

I cant wait to get mine, ive really looked forward to this car. If money was better, id have one in my hands. Enjoy the new toys, and enjoy finding what will work on it
Its cool Yup yup, understand your point, thats why I stuck to the M05 and was trying various ways to improve it. The track condition I experienced was horrifying. Within the day, with only less than 10 degree change on the track temp, the cars behaved very differently, so much so as to cause a 1.4s laptime difference on a 16s lapper. It was weird when M grips yielded less grip than S, traction roll was non-existent at all. Hence, the best combi was front are rear S with hard insert.

Well, I will test out some new stuff at our proper track tomorrow to see if there is anything I can do to improve the car. So far, I have been frustrated, unable to make the break through on the car even though I tested 2 days straight and a couple more days with more than 1000 laps put in on the 20s lapper track. Funny thing is, no matter how different the car felt, the best lap time was the same for each of the different settings. Even the consistency of lap times were similar, only 0.2s difference between average and best lap.

My verdict so far is that the M05 on a prepared surface is as fast as an M03, less twitchy and slightly more consistent than the M03.

Test limitations: Tamiya tires and Lightly tuned motor as per TAC rules.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:08 PM
Tech Master

Its cool Yup yup, understand your point, thats why I stuck to the M05 and was trying various ways to improve it. The track condition I experienced was horrifying. Within the day, with only less than 10 degree change on the track temp, the cars behaved very differently, so much so as to cause a 1.4s laptime difference on a 16s lapper. It was weird when M grips yielded less grip than S, traction roll was non-existent at all. Hence, the best combi was front are rear S with hard insert.

Well, I will test out some new stuff at our proper track tomorrow to see if there is anything I can do to improve the car. So far, I have been frustrated, unable to make the break through on the car even though I tested 2 days straight and a couple more days with more than 1000 laps put in on the 20s lapper track. Funny thing is, no matter how different the car felt, the best lap time was the same for each of the different settings. Even the consistency of lap times were similar, only 0.2s difference between average and best lap.

My verdict so far is that the M05 on a prepared surface is as fast as an M03, less twitchy and slightly more consistent than the M03.

Test limitations: Tamiya tires and Lightly tuned motor as per TAC rules.
hmm, your more likely to benefit from Grahoo's mods for TGP than I ever will. They have a special way to make the dampers that gets them in the Amain consistently. It was even covered in the RCWorld magazine. Grahoo said that the damper works well for the M03, but not the case for the M05 due to the reason I posted before. But he has a prototype setting that seems to be working well, and tweaking it more. We'll see what he comes up with.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

Here's my M05....ready for battle! Sorry...the ESC is old skool...only one available at the moment!

Old 07-16-2009, 04:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

very nice work mate, the car looks awsome
Old 07-16-2009, 04:18 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Core Creations
Here's my M05....ready for battle! Sorry...the ESC is old skool...only one available at the moment!
Hey Core,

What is the Aluminum steering rod from (servo - bell crank)?
Old 07-16-2009, 04:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

looks good, so will you be making the trek west for TCS Finals Core?
Old 07-16-2009, 05:06 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by tamiyarcracer
Hey Core,

What is the Aluminum steering rod from (servo - bell crank)?
I can tell you but...you know the rest...

It's here...you need to use a die and thread about another 10mm (5mm or so each side) and then shorten it a little....but worth the work!
https://www.tamiyausa.com/product/it...oduct-id=53941

The new serrated wheel nuts are killer too!! No more nylon to wear out...and no way a wheel is coming off!!
https://www.tamiyausa.com/product/it...oduct-id=42143
Old 07-16-2009, 05:07 PM
Tech Champion

That's the plan...I anticipate this will be a learning year for me as so many others have years on this track over me...but I'll try!
Originally Posted by madjack
looks good, so will you be making the trek west for TCS Finals Core?
Old 07-16-2009, 05:21 PM
Tech Master

I can tell you but...you know the rest...

It's here...you need to use a die and thread about another 10mm (5mm or so each side) and then shorten it a little....but worth the work!
https://www.tamiyausa.com/product/it...oduct-id=53941

The new serrated wheel nuts are killer too!! No more nylon to wear out...and no way a wheel is coming off!!
https://www.tamiyausa.com/product/it...oduct-id=42143
I was wondering if that was what it was.

Thanks
Old 07-16-2009, 06:20 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the info Calvin.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by racenut123
Some run BL Willy,but most are TCS guys.Instead of complaining,actually put a car together and actually come out and race!
John not complaining. What you said is exactly what it is. Most are TCS only and that's all they want to run, silver can.
I have a car put together for oh 5 years now. You even called it a 12th scale pan car with a mini copper body when you drove it. Then again foams on carpet isn't TCS legal. Nor is the Hobbywing system that seems to work very well for the guys in Australia.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

That's the plan...I anticipate this will be a learning year for me as so many others have years on this track over me...but I'll try!
with a new racing surface at the end of the month it will be new to all the racers!
Old 07-16-2009, 10:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by redbones
hmm, your more likely to benefit from Grahoo's mods for TGP than I ever will. They have a special way to make the dampers that gets them in the Amain consistently. It was even covered in the RCWorld magazine. Grahoo said that the damper works well for the M03, but not the case for the M05 due to the reason I posted before. But he has a prototype setting that seems to be working well, and tweaking it more. We'll see what he comes up with.
I used his damper setting before. Its good. Ya, but for M05 it really does not work.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:16 PM
Tech Master

I used his damper setting before. Its good. Ya, but for M05 it really does not work.
I'm going to try the zero rebound shock that Jilles Groskamp uses for his 416. Might be better suited for the geometry of the M05 front.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.