Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 07-15-2009, 04:19 AM
  #9496  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (7)
 
Mooshu Beef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: State of Insanity
Posts: 790
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Hey guys, I was recently working in a camp that taught kids how to race the M03. This is the first ever of its kind, please visit the link and check out the video in this thread!

http://www.rctech.net/forum/racing-f...ain-video.html
Mooshu Beef is offline  
Old 07-15-2009, 05:20 AM
  #9497  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (35)
 
cannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: A total distraction
Posts: 7,266
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Core .. do you actualy have a M05 kit to look at? It doesn't seem like it

The motor is covered by an additional 2mm !!!!!! hardly a cooling issue.

And the hole for the motor is the same size but has a slightly larger wrap on the leading edge but not a real lot.

I cannot understand why people put this rubbish on the threads without actually checking things properly. And yes I do have an M05
cannon is offline  
Old 07-15-2009, 05:49 AM
  #9498  
Tech Master
 
DRAG_ON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Ibanez,Cort,Yamaha
Posts: 1,785
Default

[QUOTE=tony gray;6064609]Mini 50 A finals (for M03) online now..

Not an easy venue to film in, but you'll get the idea.

Leg 1
/QUOTE]

nice and clean race in leg-1 race, 1st and 2nd place battle is that m05 ? very surprise i didn't see any traction rolls at all in the race............
DRAG_ON is offline  
Old 07-15-2009, 06:10 AM
  #9499  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Singalong&Bulacan
Posts: 93
Default other M-03 shell

hey sorry guys don't get me wrong, I have a M-03 w/ the mini-coop shell,

just want to ask is there another company that produce a similar size chassis?

i'm looking for an alternative shell aside from what Tamiya is selling,
cheech&chong is offline  
Old 07-15-2009, 06:23 AM
  #9500  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (110)
 
Core Creations's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Back in the booth
Posts: 6,302
Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)
Default

Wow...yes, I do have an M05 in front of me and we raced them 2 weeks ago. There is no question it is a slightly tighter rap and less of the motor is exposed. 2mm is 2mm...and when the difference between a motor running 155 deg f or 180 deg f is a lost race and a fried motor, 2mm makes a difference! When you race hot rodded silver cans every tiny bit makes a difference and running a fan is a must! So what may be a non issue for you can be an issue for others...you might take that into consideration before jumping on here and getting excited.

I have no intention of not racing the M05...it WILL be my main race car now. And I am sure we'll figure out a solution ourselves without much problem. The aluminum motor mount will likely help also. This car is better than the M03...and I in no way am trying to sway people away from it....the M05 is the future of mini!
Originally Posted by cannon
Core .. do you actualy have a M05 kit to look at? It doesn't seem like it

The motor is covered by an additional 2mm !!!!!! hardly a cooling issue.

And the hole for the motor is the same size but has a slightly larger wrap on the leading edge but not a real lot.

I cannot understand why people put this rubbish on the threads without actually checking things properly. And yes I do have an M05

Last edited by Core Creations; 07-15-2009 at 06:41 AM.
Core Creations is offline  
Old 07-15-2009, 08:23 AM
  #9501  
Tech Master
iTrader: (23)
 
edwintklee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: wonderfull place called, MALAYSIA.
Posts: 1,592
Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Skitee
I've been looking at the pictures of the built M-05's and one thing I noticed is that less of the motor can protrudes from the chassis, obviously there will be less airflow over the motor can and possibly motor temps will be higher.

So have you guys who have already run your M-05's noticed any significant increase in motor temps ?

hey buddy....my personal opinion, maybe due to the motor mounting position, may cause the motor to be more hotter than m03, that why if you notice the inner motor mount its a different piece(not same piece as gear casing of M03) which i think later will have option blue aluminium blink blink motor mount to cool it more...


cannon,

no offence,

i wonder you are always piss of when some others ask question?

what the purpose of this forum if question cannot be ask?

don like what others ask can just ignore.....
edwintklee is offline  
Old 07-15-2009, 08:44 AM
  #9502  
Tech Master
iTrader: (23)
 
edwintklee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: wonderfull place called, MALAYSIA.
Posts: 1,592
Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)
Default

some mod photo my friend found on the web....i just help to share it......here...


Originally Posted by beaim









comment are welcome......

enjoy....
edwintklee is offline  
Old 07-15-2009, 10:02 AM
  #9503  
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,326
Default

Originally Posted by Core Creations
Wow...yes, I do have an M05 in front of me and we raced them 2 weeks ago. There is no question it is a slightly tighter rap and less of the motor is exposed. 2mm is 2mm...and when the difference between a motor running 155 deg f or 180 deg f is a lost race and a fried motor, 2mm makes a difference! When you race hot rodded silver cans every tiny bit makes a difference and running a fan is a must! So what may be a non issue for you can be an issue for others...you might take that into consideration before jumping on here and getting excited.

I have no intention of not racing the M05...it WILL be my main race car now. And I am sure we'll figure out a solution ourselves without much problem. The aluminum motor mount will likely help also. This car is better than the M03...and I in no way am trying to sway people away from it....the M05 is the future of mini!
well you can make vents like this guy did in his M05. My motor temp did go down 5-10deg.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
redbones is offline  
Old 07-15-2009, 11:14 AM
  #9504  
Tech Master
 
tamiyarcracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 1,633
Default

For those wanting to attend the North American TCS Finals, the rules are posted:

http://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/ln...ls%20rules.pdf

http://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/ln...ls%20rules.pdf
tamiyarcracer is offline  
Old 07-15-2009, 11:16 AM
  #9505  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (110)
 
Core Creations's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Back in the booth
Posts: 6,302
Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)
Default

Very cool video...good to see the M05s already up there!
Core Creations is offline  
Old 07-15-2009, 05:11 PM
  #9506  
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 2,583
Default

Originally Posted by Dan
How do you guys like the Hobbywing EZrun 13T systems? Comparable to a Tamiya sport tuned motor? Or faster?
Getting into mini again? Too bad our local "racers" guys won't switch to BL. Let me know where you find the Hobbywing.
Sydewynder is offline  
Old 07-15-2009, 05:33 PM
  #9507  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (38)
 
caltek1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,422
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Mooshu Beef,

I like the concept of your teaching kids to race and what better car to use than a MO3. Tough as nails and require a bit more skill to punt around than a 4WD car.

Keep up the good work.

regards,

Calvin.
caltek1 is offline  
Old 07-15-2009, 05:43 PM
  #9508  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (38)
 
caltek1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,422
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Sydewynder,

They can be purchased from the Rc mart, rc mushroom etc, or you can try Feral Batteries here in Australia, all on the internet.

We have them to be very relaible and quicker than a sport tuned. Minimal maintenance is a big bonus.

cheech&chong,

There are so many short wheel based after market bodies I can not even list them. A good starting point would be to go to www.rc-mini.net/ and go from there. The shops listed above have stock.

redbones,

In Japan you can obviously get away with major modifications to your mini. Here in Australia and USA, you can not make modifications to your chassis, otherwise you are Disqualified. I will stick to what is legal for us. I see no point in having two different cars, one for clubbies and one for events, when testing/driving are not the same. Seems counter productive to what you are trying to achieve.

My thoughts only. Each to there own. Here in Aust we can not even run a fan on our mini's, not that we have needed them. The Hobbywing 13T BL system works well and with the large cooling fins, seems to disapate the heat reasonably well. Although last weekend on the carpet after some long runs they were fairly warm.

Regards,

Calvin.

Last edited by caltek1; 07-15-2009 at 05:45 PM. Reason: xtra text
caltek1 is offline  
Old 07-15-2009, 08:45 PM
  #9509  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (35)
 
cannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: A total distraction
Posts: 7,266
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by edwintklee
cannon,

no offence,

i wonder you are always piss of when some others ask question?

what the purpose of this forum if question cannot be ask?

don like what others ask can just ignore.....
Ed,

Not pissed off at people asking questions .. just replies that are misleading or questions that have been asked two posts before and answered but the next poster is to lazy to look. The original reply gave the impression the motor is far more covered when in fact it is only covering an extra 2% of the can surface area ... hardly an issue. And from what I can tell the motor hole recess is exactly the same size in both cars.
cannon is offline  
Old 07-15-2009, 09:23 PM
  #9510  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (32)
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,660
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Some run BL Willy,but most are TCS guys.Instead of complaining,actually put a car together and actually come out and race!
Originally Posted by Sydewynder
Getting into mini again? Too bad our local "racers" guys won't switch to BL. Let me know where you find the Hobbywing.
racenut123 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.