• 1 Post By MaxRain

monitoring temps remotely...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 09:54 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default monitoring temps remotely...

Long time since I posted here...

Just wanted to comment and ask, has anyone used those little remote temp monitoring devices used mostly for checking temps on your bbq?

They seem pretty cool for r/c, and I figure they could work great for monitoring batteries or motor temps on some situations. It may not be practical for all models, but for boats those would be great, for example. I could in theory, use the one that comes with 2 probes to check on dual lipos... Even set an alarm to go off automatically after a certain temp is reached.

What do you guys think?. I'll leave a link to one of the models here. Be sure to check out the video to see how it works. Range is pretty decent supposedly 300ft. That is not the only brand, there's cheaper ones as well..

Amazon Amazon

Like this other one, way cheaper>
Amazon Amazon

P.S. Also, is there anything in the r/c world that would be a better solution to this? I recall some remote monitoriong device from hobbyking for voltages (not sure if temps too) but it was a long time ago.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:03 PM
Tech Lord

A simple transmitter with telemetry will cost about 100 euro...

You want it more advanced, find someone who is into electronics, with a simple microprocessor like an Arduino Picco and a 433mhz TX/RX you can harvest many information and send it over.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:11 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I'm just going to say that I have too many hobbies. The first one to mention is smoking meats. Those probes are slow, and the processors are big. The frequencies used are shared spectrum and easily taken out. I have a very nice probe setup now, and I can only get 20 feet away from the base station.

If you are set on trying this for yourself I would recommend an Arduino or Python based board. Two good sites to find them are Adafruit and Spark Fun. I put together a wifi based unit for my laser engraver. It has two temp probes, a set of 6 leds, and a built in web server. The two temp probes monitor the in and out water temperatures. The LED's act as idiot lights, while standing in front of the machine. And the web server connects to my home wireless. It displays a very simple web page with the real temperatures, and a timer since it was last reset.

There are now boards with a two way radio system (I think it is called Lola). I'd look there to see what could be setup.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:47 AM
Tech Master

Just get a radio with telemetry and temp sensors.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:29 PM
Tech Master

I agree with telemetry however allot of motors have the thermistor built into the motor. Its a 10k ntc sensor. You can probably find a cheap temp display on ebay from china and tie it into the sensor or add it externally. Tape the display to a window. Probably only a couple of bucks.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:18 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the replies. I was aware of some radios that already have the telemetry, just not sure if I can display 2 temp probes at once, plus a voltage sensor for the lipos. Any suggestions there? (would be great for a boat)
I just remembered the name of the device I was mentioning in the 1st post, saw it on hobbyking (Quanum). But that was a long time ago and they no longer sell it...
cheers.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:28 AM
Tech Lord

I have made a system with a datalogger which has a RS232 output which is transmitted by a professional 433mhz system.
New project comes alive.

17 inputs:
- 8 analog
- 8 digital
- 1 timer
Old 07-18-2019, 05:18 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Roelof
I have made a system with a datalogger which has a RS232 output which is transmitted by a professional 433mhz system.
New project comes alive.

17 inputs:
- 8 analog
- 8 digital
- 1 timer
Wow, that is a lot of signals. Thanks for posting!
Old 08-08-2019, 08:26 PM
Tech Master

I dont know why I forgot to post this in this thread back when it was a question. Color sensitive paint. It comes in allot of different ranges. I picked up a powder that goes from white to black at 80f. Light blue went black at 80 when mixed with blue paint. The idea was tire temps but in 100 degree weather the purpose was not served. If I do it again I would get a pigment closer to 160 and see if that was the right temp range for watching the motor temp. I think the window on tires is too tight.
Old 08-10-2019, 06:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bry195
I dont know why I forgot to post this in this thread back when it was a question. Color sensitive paint. It comes in allot of different ranges. I picked up a powder that goes from white to black at 80f. Light blue went black at 80 when mixed with blue paint. The idea was tire temps but in 100 degree weather the purpose was not served. If I do it again I would get a pigment closer to 160 and see if that was the right temp range for watching the motor temp. I think the window on tires is too tight.
This reminds me of the hyper colour t-shirts that came out back in the day when I was a kid. They were fun as heck to wear..
solidsnake83 likes this.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:12 PM
Tech Master

Pretty much the same thing. I think you can buy rattle cans of mixed paint.I just bought the raw pigment off ebay. This one was white powder I mixed in with airbrush paint. White lightens whatever color you mix it with but the pigments have temp ranges. Once it hits the range it shifted black so the light blue went black.

they use it on brake calipers in racing to make sure they arent overheating the calipers and getting fade.