Secrets to RC

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 06:25 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stallard
Yeah,
You have done a great job contributing to this thread

Are you so lame that you have to use another screen name to argue your point?
I'll make sure and note your fine contribution to the website gods.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 95 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Briguy
So , how do you balance tires ? What weights do you use ? I have a prop balancer for balancing my boat props , so that should work for tires .
If you can get the prop balancer to hold your tire then yes it will work. If not get something like this:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXD712&P=ML

Mount tire on balancer and give it a light spin. As it slows you may see it starting to rock. As it stops it will probably be rocking back and forth. The harder it is rocking the more out of balance the tire is and the more weight you will add. You will add weight to the top of the tire now to offset the weight that is at the bottom of the tire. After adding weight re-spin and see what happens. You may need to add a lil more or take some off or maybe add a lil in an additional spot.

As for what to use there are a few options. You can get golf club weight tape and use it. Or you can get modeling clay. There is non hardening and hardening clay. Most people I've seen use the non hardening clay. You will stick either the tape or clay on the inside of the rim. If you use the clay make sure to keep it pretty flat on the inside of the rim. Also clean the spot where you plan on putting the weight with motor spray or something that will get off any oil and dirt.

Balancing tires makes a huge difference in the way your car will handle.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 2MUCHSTUFF
Before a race, turn each nipple 1/4 turn counter-clockwise - it really gets the blood flowing!
Old 08-02-2008, 06:12 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I find it really helpful to clean the tires when the tracks wet and leave them when the tracks dry...
Old 08-02-2008, 08:08 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Here's a good one and its really good to do with 1/8th scale but is good with electric to.

The steel pin held by a set screw with lock tight on a CVD..... Put JB-weld over the end and if the set screw backs out the pin will stay in.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:02 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by UN4RACING
The steel pin held by a set screw with lock tight on a CVD..... Put JB-weld over the end and if the set screw backs out the pin will stay in.
Is it easy to get the JB-Weld out when you need to service the CVD?
Old 08-02-2008, 09:06 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

for the b4 you can dremel the u brace down so the top is all even for more handeling..
Old 08-02-2008, 09:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by B4 Racer1
I find it really helpful to clean the tires when the tracks wet and leave them when the tracks dry...
How do you clean the tires?
Old 08-02-2008, 09:37 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by Chris__RC
How do you clean the tires?
I bought a small tub (like a small Rubbermaid plastic container with a lid) and glued a scrub brush inside the bottom (bristles pointing up). At the track, I pour a little Simple Green in it, add water to just cover the brush, then use it to clean the tires. If you let them air dry between heats, the rubber gets a little tacky from the Simple Green.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

What I did was I took a old toothbrush and simply soaked it in water and scrubbed the tires and rims with it. Is that good and if I get simple green will it act like tire formula where the tire like stick to the ground?
Old 08-02-2008, 09:52 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by Chris__RC
What I did was I took a old toothbrush and simply soaked it in water and scrubbed the tires and rims with it. Is that good and if I get simple green will it act like tire formula where the tire like stick to the ground?
Simple Green does make the tires stick to each other pretty good. The rubber does get tacky, but I don't know if it makes them stick to the ground any better. I would imagine that if that were the case, any dust on the track would negate that after one revolution of the tire.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CarbonJoe
I bought a small tub (like a small Rubbermaid plastic container with a lid) and glued a scrub brush inside the bottom (bristles pointing up). At the track, I pour a little Simple Green in it, add water to just cover the brush, then use it to clean the tires. If you let them air dry between heats, the rubber gets a little tacky from the Simple Green.
That`s exactly what I do also . Except I bought this tub from Walmart that is sealed with an o-ring and just keep the simple green/water mix in it all times and just change it when I need to .
Old 08-03-2008, 06:59 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

You can file it off with no major trouble. I'm getting ready to do my 1/8th scale and I have it on mt T-4 as well, it works well if your running mod and 1/8th scale. Stock I think would be a waste of time.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:10 AM
Suspended

that's what I did, but we did testing years ago and found that any lanoin-based shampoo works better as it doesn't contain a degreaser like simplegreen does, which dries out the natural oils in the rubber, while just cleaning them returns the sought after like-new tacky feeling
Old 08-03-2008, 07:13 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by UN4RACING
You can file it off with no major trouble. I'm getting ready to do my 1/8th scale and I have it on mt T-4 as well, it works well if your running mod and 1/8th scale. Stock I think would be a waste of time.
that not only sounds like a recipe for disaster, but also a good way to get your driveline out of balance

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.