Wiki Posts
Search

Secrets to RC

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 10:16 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Secrets to RC

I made this thread to hope to get people to help others and give tips to making your car go faster and ride more efficiently....so please give your secrets to the RC world..
Old 08-01-2008, 10:19 AM
Tech Regular

When practicing racing, try to be as smooth and consistent as possible. Don't just try to go fast and end up crashing every othre lap. Go as fast as you can without crashing and practice consistency, then go up from there.

Something like that?
Old 08-01-2008, 10:22 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

....take your RTR apart, completely apart - and figure out and learn how everything works, where everthing goes, as well as considering that rountine maintenance (knocking the big hunks of dirt off doesn't count) is part of the hobby instead of it being an inconvenience and not waiting until it blows up or breaks to do anything......
Old 08-01-2008, 10:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

Originally Posted by rocket-mtrsprts
....take your RTR apart, completely apart - and figure out and learn how everything works, where everthing goes, as well as considering that rountine maintenance (knocking the big hunks of dirt off doesn't count) is part of the hobby instead of it being an inconvenience and not waiting until it blows up or breaks to do anything......
Who let this tool back in? The kid doesn't have a RTR, he knows how to wheel. But nice try on being a condescending prick.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:38 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SQC049
Who let this tool back in? The kid doesn't have a RTR, he knows how to wheel. But nice try on being a condescending prick.
Did you actually read the first post, or comprehend the idea of the thread, or are you once again doing the CP bit yourself -- that, by the way, you've got down pat!!!
Old 08-01-2008, 10:49 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by SQC049

Nice Try?

He seems to have it down pat!

Now back on topic,

One of the things I do that many overlook is balancing tires. It is easy to do and can make a big differance, also I always label my tires (RR,LR ect...), If you take off your tires for cleaning or maint. each run getting them out of order can affect handling. Nice idea for a thread B4.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Read THIS

It is very informative.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:22 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Stallard
One of the things I do that many overlook is balancing tires. It is easy to do
How do you do it?
Old 08-01-2008, 11:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rocket-mtrsprts
This is actually a great tip that I wish I had known/thought about in the beginning for a few reasons.

1. Nothing is broken yet and you can see how everything is supposed to go together.
2. You can check and make sure everything is assembled correctly and TIGHTLY! This would have saved me a lot of headaches on my RC18T and on my TC4 (both suffered from steering slop and issues with the front driveshafts)
3. It forces you to see how the car SHOULD look after a run and gets you in the habit of checking that everything is nice and neat.

Play with spring rates and learn from experience. Read up as much as you can on electricity so you understand the difference between mah and ohm. Will make wiring alot easier in the end!

Get Deans connectors, on everything!
Old 08-01-2008, 11:25 AM
Tech Regular

For the average RC enthusiast, learn Ohm's law like the back of your hand.

For a serious racer and setup fanatic I recommend learning F-Tests and T-Tests, just google it. If you have Microsoft Excel, it has built in functions to run the F-Test and T-Test for you.. These tests will let you know objectively if any change or changes you made truly made you faster or if you are just fooling yourself into believing others' or your own RC superstitions.

Last edited by haulin79; 08-01-2008 at 05:58 PM.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mkiiina
Get Deans connectors, on everything!
Or just direct solder.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

I have found that I am able to set up my car much better if I work on setting up my car on a big straight in a track. I have found that I can easily notice a difference in how fast I can drive a car while running tight circles. You will also be able to easily tell how much traction you are getting as well. While you tweak a setup be sure to take it off a jump every so often to make sure it is still flying well. I figure that if I can time 5 little circles & make sure the car has plenty of acel traction then I can dial the car in much faster then if I'm timing 5 laps.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:18 PM
Tech Master

I definitely second (or third) the idea of taking apart your RTR and seeing how all of the parts go together and work. In this way, you're going to be prepared if something breaks - you'll know how to get to the broken parts and replace them quicker, and you'll know what other nearby parts might have been damaged by the impact, which aren't as obvious.

Also on the RTR subject, get rid of the bullet connectors and direct solder as much stuff as you can, otherwise use Dean's plugs or the newer Traxxas hi-current connectors, whatever you prefer. The less resistance you introduce into the path of power in your car, the more juice you're going to get to the motor.

Great thread idea, I look forward to reading it as it grows!
Old 08-01-2008, 02:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chris__RC
Or just direct solder.
yes but direct solder can be a pain if you want to change something in your car or truck you have to unsolder it deans plugs come on most brand name stuff so it is easiest
Old 08-01-2008, 02:19 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Having the best parts money can buy won't win you races. Practice makes perfect!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.