Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Silver Can Motor Tips/Tricks

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 09:51 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Granpa
I like the Novak GTS. They're about 80 bucks and deadly reliable and work as is with a Spektrum. The high end stuff is pretty much overkill
It's GTX not GTS wrong typing.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:24 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

No. I believe he did mean GTS. I run the Novak GTS in my off-road buggy. It is a great reliable and affordable ESC.

Could some describe in detail how to break in a motor using the water dipping technique? Do you submerse the entire motor or just the end bell?

Thanks, Pete
Old 11-04-2007, 10:50 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Pete Thomas
No. I believe he did mean GTS. I run the Novak GTS in my off-road buggy. It is a great reliable and affordable ESC.

Could some describe in detail how to break in a motor using the water dipping technique? Do you submerse the entire motor or just the end bell?

Thanks, Pete
Oh my bad.
Due i thought Turtle ask for guys recommend only the high end one, GTX must be better for TC.
Maybe try this but don't be really care about the small details:
http://www.rccartips.com/rc-electric...ning-guide.htm
Old 11-04-2007, 11:29 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the link.

Pete
Old 11-04-2007, 11:44 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Pete Thomas
Thanks for the link.

Pete
I did my best, welcome.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:11 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks for the advice guys.
I have been having problems with my 540 tourer lately. It just seems to have no speed. I have tried new motors, new batteries and it went quick for one heat then was back to being slow in the next one. The reason I asked about what ESC's you use is because it is the only thing I have not changed. I currently use a Novak GTS. Any help would be appreciated, I'm almost out of ideas
Old 11-04-2007, 02:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Turtle are you running silver can sedan and you are saying you are slow after one run with your motor please clarify your problem so that we can help you.

Pete try this first:

1. Run the motor at 3 -4 volts with the motor standing with the endbell up and squirt some brasso (metal polish) on too the bushing and shaft run it for 15 minutes.

2. Turn the motor over were the pinion goes and do the same brasso 15 minutes. Also remember you might have to add brasso from time to time to ensure that it stays wet.

3. Repeat step 1

4. Repeat step 2

5. Now run the motor forward at 3- 4 volts and submerge the entire motor and wires under water for about 1 minute. Pull the motor out and check to see if the brushes have seated yet if not run it backwards for 1-2 minutes and keep doing this untill the brushes are seated. You can tell as the water will start to get dark on you then you know. Some brushes are softer than others so it will vary on how long it takes. I have had some motors that took 90 seconds and some that took 15- 20 minutes.

I hope this helps if you have any questions let me know.

Old 11-04-2007, 03:28 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by SirSwiftAlot
Turtle are you running silver can sedan and you are saying you are slow after one run with your motor please clarify your problem so that we can help you.
It had absolutly no speed in the first 2 runs, so for the 3rd I put in a new motor and borrowed a matched GP4300 pack off a friends and it went great. Managed to work my way from the back of the pack up to 2nd. Then for the final heat it was back to being slow like it was in the first two heats.
Now that I think about it, I think I might have cooked the speedy. Lucky it wasn't a really expensive one
Old 11-04-2007, 04:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Or you may have cooked the motor. Once you get them really hot (much easier in a sedan than in a Mini) the magnets go away and (even though the RPM may go up slightly) you will have much less torque. Less torque in a heavy car like a sedan = slow.

If you are geared any lower than a 5.2 final ratio you are just killing the motor...it will be fast for a run- maybe for two, but thasssit. Stick a fork in it.

Unlikely that you have toasted your GTS, but worth checking the settings to determine whether you are getting full throttle. If the speedo was gone it would be slow all of the time, not just some of the time.

Meanwhile, if you do the Brasso thing (or use anything that is intended to accelerate wear between the shaft and the bushings) make sure- really sure- you flush it out well with motor spray with the motor running at low voltage BEFORE water dipping. Otherwise it will get all up in the motor and you'll never get it out.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rccardr
Or you may have cooked the motor. Once you get them really hot (much easier in a sedan than in a Mini) the magnets go away and (even though the RPM may go up slightly) you will have much less torque. Less torque in a heavy car like a sedan = slow.

If you are geared any lower than a 5.2 final ratio you are just killing the motor...it will be fast for a run- maybe for two, but thasssit. Stick a fork in it.

Unlikely that you have toasted your GTS, but worth checking the settings to determine whether you are getting full throttle. If the speedo was gone it would be slow all of the time, not just some of the time.

Meanwhile, if you do the Brasso thing (or use anything that is intended to accelerate wear between the shaft and the bushings) make sure- really sure- you flush it out well with motor spray with the motor running at low voltage BEFORE water dipping. Otherwise it will get all up in the motor and you'll never get it out.
Yeah what he said!

Old 11-04-2007, 08:49 PM
Tech Addict

I dont think it was the motor, because I have (had) been running the same motor for about 3-4 months and it went fine geared at around 4.5. I put a new motor in it on the weekend and geared it to 4.7 and it went good for only one run.
The reason I think it might be the speedy is because I accidently did the water dipping thing with my speedy hooked up and ran it flat out. I think the car has never gone good after that. I think I might of cooked the ESC
Old 11-05-2007, 12:04 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

5.2 is OVERKILL!!! i am running 5.96 in my TB02 and the motor would be very hot after a 5min race. i was driving it 1 day at the track and it ended up catchin fire and dying....It was sumwat funny coz i was getting fasta then all of a sudden it started slowing down until it just stoppd....it was good where it stoppd....coz i just got it past the line :P

but yea it caught fire n was boiling hot when this happend....i was told anything less than about 6.1 is overkill!!

BTW Turtle.....you aint supposed to put the motor in the water whilst the ESC is still connectd.....just causing the ESC to wear/burn out fasta.....thats why i always use a couple AA's or a dead stik pack (as if in low voltage...afta a run)

hope this helps ya!

wog
Old 11-05-2007, 01:33 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by wog....supraman
BTW Turtle.....you aint supposed to put the motor in the water whilst the ESC is still connectd.....just causing the ESC to wear/burn out fasta.....thats why i always use a couple AA's or a dead stik pack (as if in low voltage...afta a run)

hope this helps ya!

wog
Yeah, I relaise you wern't meant to do it with the ESC connected AFTER I had done it
Ah well, looks like I need to buy a newy. I'm glad the Aussie dollar is good at the moment!
Thanks for all the help guys
Old 11-05-2007, 03:52 AM
Tech Master

I hate using Brasso, one time i have break in the motor then i have clean the comm with Brasso, day after i try to check it and suddenly decreased hugely the RPM, is so much lower than before break in. So i only use it to clean bushing and nothing more to try.
But i could tell you racing silver can is more expensive than MOD race, due the BL allowance, then i change 540 motor on each 2 main run.

Last edited by mac853; 11-05-2007 at 05:01 AM.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

it went fine geared at around 4.5. I put a new motor in it on the weekend and geared it to 4.7 and it went good for only one run
Like I said, too much gear. El cooko

5.2 is OVERKILL!!! i was told anything less than about 6.1 is overkill!!
I believe you have been misinformed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.