Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever... >

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2897Likes

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 12:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I've been running the same 12th scale, WGT, & F1 bodies all year

I must be doing something wrong

Narrow F1 Bodies can last for many seasons of racing
The good F1 bodies are highly detailed and include wings, hence the extra cost
Old 11-13-2012, 12:37 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nrtv20
Well I feel dumb..
I know that feeling as well. I'm probably better at it too.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:15 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com
Any good sources besides Tamiya and McAllister. I'd like to get the standard McClaren/Honda body that was so common, but I don't see those in stock anywhere.
There's quite a few, but being relatively limited production means they aren't that cheap and usually only available from the far east
http://www.rcmart.com/body-light-c-438_883.html
http://banzaihobby.com/radio-control...rmula-1-rc-car
Old 11-13-2012, 04:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I'm currently running the stock F103RM carbon reinforced suspension and wondering if I can adjust the front ride height. Would I need to buy a aftermarket part/kit in order to make this possible? I'm living in Japan so aftermarket parts would have to come from "regional" manufactures.

In addition, I have the optional "link suspension". What are the benefits/downsides of using this type of suspension. One last thing to add, whats the purpose of pre-load front spacers. Is this just for fine tuning the suspensions weight distribution?
Old 11-13-2012, 05:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EDWARD2003
I'm currently running the stock F103RM carbon reinforced suspension and wondering if I can adjust the front ride height. Would I need to buy a aftermarket part/kit in order to make this possible? I'm living in Japan so aftermarket parts would have to come from "regional" manufactures.

In addition, I have the optional "link suspension". What are the benefits/downsides of using this type of suspension. One last thing to add, whats the purpose of pre-load front spacers. Is this just for fine tuning the suspensions weight distribution?
If you're in Japan in the Kanto region and can get yourself to Yokohama, check out one of the best sources for F1 parts: http://d-drivesportsenglish.com/inde...age=contact_us. They don't do international sales online anymore, but I believe their local shop is still open. They also have a track where, based on the photos, they seem to have good F1 class turnouts. Here's the Japanese site: http://www.d-drivesports.com/

With the carbon front suspension on F103, you can adjust ride height with spacers. I'm not sure which part you mean when you're talking about "link suspension" for F103.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I'm situated in Kagoshima prefecture, its far away from Yokohama. Thanks for the weblink, however the website is down for maintenance.

Could you send me a link or describe how to add spacers to lower the suspension. would I be adding shims to the suspensions king pins? Or could I put shims underneath the 2 bolts securing down to the suspension arms? By raising "up" the suspension arms from the chassis should lower the ride height. However, will this cause handling problems?

The "link" suspension is where the top suspension arms move freely via inside hing-pin mounts. This is a standard suspension set used on the f103RM.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:23 PM
Tech Champion

The link suspension for the F103 was the one with the movable upper arm, though I don't remember a carbon version of that. As for ride height adjustment...there is no stock adjustment for front ride height. The F103 suspension does not use spacers on the kingpin like the F104 front suspension does.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Kyushu? Damn, that IS far... well, if you ever find yourself in Kanto, might be worth giving them a call. The website has been "down for maintenance" for a while. They pretty much discontinued support in English. If you can give them a ring, they might be able to help. The contact info is also on their Japanese site.

I hope you've at least got good ramen nearby.

Oops! InspGadgt is right. I just remembered there are no kingpin spacers for F103. I'll have to go home and look at the car to see what i did in the past to alter height on the front end.

Offhand though, it does sound like raising the suspension arms would work. This will alter your car's roll center, but it should be worth playing around with.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I just ordered a FGX and need some help with the electronics. It looks like I will need to buy my first lipo battery, a "shorty". Can you guys suggest a set up on the affordable side for a ESC and motor please? I guess will need to buy my first brushless motor as well. TIA.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EDWARD2003

If you shave the bottoms of the steering arms you can get about 2mm more ride height out of the front end. You can add 2mm worth of spacers to move the steering arm up or down once you have shaved them.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:56 AM
Tech Master

Hopefully Serpent will have a frontsuspension with normal ride height adjustments. Seems so simple but why other brands still have non adjustable fronts seems odd to me.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:59 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by 2wdrive
Hopefully Serpent will have a frontsuspension with normal ride height adjustments. Seems so simple but why other brands still have non adjustable fronts seems odd to me.
F-104 Front end has ride height, camber & droop adjustment
Old 11-14-2012, 12:12 PM
Tech Master

Those thin shims on the kingpin is not really what i would want for ride height adjustments. I would prefer 1/12 and 1/10th pancar ride height adjustments so I can run the tires down to the rim and still allows me to set ride height the way I want.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:48 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by 2wdrive
Those thin shims on the kingpin is not really what i would want for ride height adjustments. I would prefer 1/12 and 1/10th pancar ride height adjustments so I can run the tires down to the rim and still allows me to set ride height the way I want.
With a 12R5 I rarely use more than 2mm shim for ride height
On the 104 I can use much more than that, or less
Ride height using Tamiya 104 wheels down to the rim is not an issue
Old 11-14-2012, 12:51 PM
Tech Elite

I picked up this used F1 they had at my LHS. Mounting gear it in this evening if I get some workshop time. My son loved the F1 class when he saw it running last week. We are just getting it started again in Indy. I didn't want to give up mine, so I got this one for him. I've added some graphics and gone through the chassis with my manual from the Wolf WR1. This is the exact same chassis. F103 front end, with an F104 rear end. So, what I learn on one, I will be able to use on the other and parts as well. Should be on the track Friday night!

Attached Thumbnails 1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-mclarenhondaformula1.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.