Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 04:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Hmm

Originally Posted by Taylorm
ASSociated????.... Oh it's on now Focker....we are gonna
run no holds barred motors right???...
Sure...but WHICH motors? New or antique? If we go antique, I've got a Paris/McCoy Picco I've been saving for a special occasion....
Old 11-14-2013, 04:13 PM
Tech Addict

Default Hmm

If Phil would fix his fleet up we could have a full field...
Fix up the fleet, eh? Let's see...other than foam (which I meant to get on last winter and didn't, what a surprise) Tom and I each have a SuperJ ready to go at a moments notice. I could easily cram 3 more J's together but they'd be straight axle (with the proper foam, probably not a problem). Got one MRP assembled and ready to go...and if I lock out suspensions, I could get some Super Eagle action going. Getting the cars isn't the problem probably, it's getting the DRIVERS. But Toth says he has one on standby, and I'd bet money Rick has one or two dozen laying around somewhere...and don't you have a few 300's?
Old 11-14-2013, 04:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar
Great news for some racers that have been waiting. Good looking part also. I think you and Veronica got a winner on your hands. Best of luck with them!

Wonder if the spacing on those balls is the same as older car? Can the new front fit the old car? Is there much parts cross over?
Thanks for the support Lon!

Looking over the parts sheet, there do seem to be a considerable number of interchangeable parts. Once I have the new car on the bench I will confirm this and put together a list of those matching parts. It appears that the rear end plastics are the same (minus the new rear bulkhead. So the parts between the rear bulk and wheels look to be the same (just speculation). In the front, the pivot balls, plastic cups, and front knuckles also seem to be shared between the two cars. Also (maybe?) the fuel tank, front bumper, front body mount assembly, rear plastic body mount, and much of the hardware, bearings, dog bones, outdrives, Differential(?) etc..

At first glance it appears that the main chassis plate may be the same or very close, so I think the front ends could have the same bolt pattern. The aluminum motor plate is new however.

One change with the new parts is that they are packaged and sold individually rather than in pairs. Because most of these parts are identical Left and Right, I think this is a nice improvement.

Lets catch up this weekend!
Jason
Old 11-15-2013, 04:39 AM
Tech Master

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by hitcharide1
Fix up the fleet, eh? Let's see...other than foam (which I meant to get on last winter and didn't, what a surprise) Tom and I each have a SuperJ ready to go at a moments notice. I could easily cram 3 more J's together but they'd be straight axle (with the proper foam, probably not a problem). Got one MRP assembled and ready to go...and if I lock out suspensions, I could get some Super Eagle action going. Getting the cars isn't the problem probably, it's getting the DRIVERS. But Toth says he has one on standby, and I'd bet money Rick has one or two dozen laying around somewhere...and don't you have a few 300's?
...I prolly have enough parts to complete about
4 cars... Not all with ball diff... The problem is $$$$.... Not enough
clutches...servos...pipes...etc...to get them
all running...Not to mention time... All of which that is spare goes to scratch pan
part II.... Get TOM to ditch that tank O' GT and have him get
a pan...
Old 11-15-2013, 04:42 AM
Tech Master

Thumbs down

Dbl post damn
Old 11-15-2013, 06:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MrHistory
Thanks for the support Lon!

Looking over the parts sheet, there do seem to be a considerable number of interchangeable parts. Once I have the new car on the bench I will confirm this and put together a list of those matching parts. It appears that the rear end plastics are the same (minus the new rear bulkhead. So the parts between the rear bulk and wheels look to be the same (just speculation). In the front, the pivot balls, plastic cups, and front knuckles also seem to be shared between the two cars. Also (maybe?) the fuel tank, front bumper, front body mount assembly, rear plastic body mount, and much of the hardware, bearings, dog bones, outdrives, Differential(?) etc..

At first glance it appears that the main chassis plate may be the same or very close, so I think the front ends could have the same bolt pattern. The aluminum motor plate is new however.

One change with the new parts is that they are packaged and sold individually rather than in pairs. Because most of these parts are identical Left and Right, I think this is a nice improvement.

Lets catch up this weekend!
Jason
Is the part list and manual for the new car available for download?
Old 11-15-2013, 06:55 PM
Tech Addict

Default Just an idea....need your input!

There has been a little talk lately about gearing up some vintage action in Toledo. Having heard from a few people, I'd like to propose the following:

1. That we ask Toledo to host the 1st annual Vintage Pan Car race at the Great Lakes Challenge. It will be run in conjunction with the rest of the event, just as the various classes are now.

2. All pan cars that were in production or manufactured before January 1984 will be considered acceptable for entry. (Suspension cars by major manufacturers began in late 1983. This rule would NOT exclude a Thorp with piano wire front suspension...I doubt anyone with such a beast would actually run it, and it wouldn't give any advantage that I know of. I'm the only person I know of that has one and I'm not running it, but I don't want to exclude anyone else.)

3. All entries will undergo tech as per ROAR rules as they existed in 1983, with the exception that modern bodies be allowed, though period bodies are strongly encouraged. Any parts used, including the chassis, must either be original equipment or exact replica to preserve the appearance and performance of the hobby as it was in 1983.

a. Engines....what was legal then will be legal for this event. Any new engines will be limited to five port (I think this would be equitable to a good McCoy/Picco of the era.

b. Bodies....same as with engines, with no restriction as to choice. You can run open wheel, GT, or Can Am as you prefer. (Most will wind up running Can Am bodies, but allowing the full range would give a better representation of how it was done 30 years ago. And make for some really excellent pictures.)

c. Tires. If someone modified their car to run current foam tires and rims, that will be legal, except no tire changes will be allowed during any qualifier or the main event.

If this proposal is acceptable, sufficient people make a FIRM commitment to attend, and the GLC offers to host said event, I will sponsor the class myself. I'll put up the money for the trophies and ask for specialized t-shirts for the vintage pan participants. I.e., add "1st Annual Vintage Pan Race" and the participants first name on their respective t-shirt.

I know there are a few among us that would have an interest in this event. I think it'd be fun....I know it'd be of interest to a LOT of people who have never seen the vintage stuff run. I'm certain Mike Myers would take a lot of pictures and do a very nice writeup on it. We've got the potential to get some out-of-staters with vintage equipment to show up. I think it would also stimulate interest in modern pan...we have advantages the 4wd class doesn't, and this would help show people what pan was then and what pan is now.

If there is sufficient interest, I'll also sponsor a prize for concours in the vintage pan class, and hope Mike Saputo doesn't show up (he was sort of really good with that stuff).

Give me some feedback folks....good idea, bad idea, change in rules, who would like to attend, and so forth. Speaking for this end, Tom and I would be happy to participate!
Old 11-15-2013, 08:43 PM
Tech Regular

There has been a little talk lately about gearing up some vintage action in Toledo. Having heard from a few people, I'd like to propose the following:

1. That we ask Toledo to host the 1st annual Vintage Pan Car race at the Great Lakes Challenge. It will be run in conjunction with the rest of the event, just as the various classes are now.

2. All pan cars that were in production or manufactured before January 1984 will be considered acceptable for entry. (Suspension cars by major manufacturers began in late 1983. This rule would NOT exclude a Thorp with piano wire front suspension...I doubt anyone with such a beast would actually run it, and it wouldn't give any advantage that I know of. I'm the only person I know of that has one and I'm not running it, but I don't want to exclude anyone else.)

3. All entries will undergo tech as per ROAR rules as they existed in 1983, with the exception that modern bodies be allowed, though period bodies are strongly encouraged. Any parts used, including the chassis, must either be original equipment or exact replica to preserve the appearance and performance of the hobby as it was in 1983.

a. Engines....what was legal then will be legal for this event. Any new engines will be limited to five port (I think this would be equitable to a good McCoy/Picco of the era.

b. Bodies....same as with engines, with no restriction as to choice. You can run open wheel, GT, or Can Am as you prefer. (Most will wind up running Can Am bodies, but allowing the full range would give a better representation of how it was done 30 years ago. And make for some really excellent pictures.)

c. Tires. If someone modified their car to run current foam tires and rims, that will be legal, except no tire changes will be allowed during any qualifier or the main event.

If this proposal is acceptable, sufficient people make a FIRM commitment to attend, and the GLC offers to host said event, I will sponsor the class myself. I'll put up the money for the trophies and ask for specialized t-shirts for the vintage pan participants. I.e., add "1st Annual Vintage Pan Race" and the participants first name on their respective t-shirt.

I know there are a few among us that would have an interest in this event. I think it'd be fun....I know it'd be of interest to a LOT of people who have never seen the vintage stuff run. I'm certain Mike Myers would take a lot of pictures and do a very nice writeup on it. We've got the potential to get some out-of-staters with vintage equipment to show up. I think it would also stimulate interest in modern pan...we have advantages the 4wd class doesn't, and this would help show people what pan was then and what pan is now.

If there is sufficient interest, I'll also sponsor a prize for concours in the vintage pan class, and hope Mike Saputo doesn't show up (he was sort of really good with that stuff).

Give me some feedback folks....good idea, bad idea, change in rules, who would like to attend, and so forth. Speaking for this end, Tom and I would be happy to participate!
Jeepers Phil! On something like this, forget the modern bodies!
Old 11-15-2013, 09:17 PM
Tech Addict

Default Hey

Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar
Jeepers Phil! On something like this, forget the modern bodies!
Hmmm.

Just wanted to make it easier for everyone else and save a buck if need be. I'm indifferent on this one, I can go either way but will be running old school myself. You want to incorporate the link again so people with the intent can go find vintage bodies?
Old 11-15-2013, 09:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I can tell you now with 99% certainty.

NOPE not going to happen!

Now lets get back to talking about 2014 Pan car racing.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:38 AM
Tech Master

Sure...but WHICH motors? New or antique? If we go antique, I've got a Paris/McCoy Picco I've been saving for a special occasion....
NEW
Old 11-16-2013, 06:18 AM
Tech Addict

Default Hmm

Originally Posted by Vector03cobra
I can tell you now with 99% certainty.

NOPE not going to happen!

Now lets get back to talking about 2014 Pan car racing.
Really. How do you figure?
Old 11-16-2013, 07:41 AM
Tech Master

Heaven forbid we have one race for the cars that
started it all... And yet have many heats for GT cars...
a class that was JUST recognized by ROAR... Lol

Last edited by Taylorm; 11-16-2013 at 08:35 AM.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:09 AM
Tech Addict

Default Heh

Heaven forbid we have one race for the cars that
started at all... And yet have many heats for GY cars...
a class that was JUST recognized by ROAR... Lol
Hey now, everyone is entitled to an opinion. We have some time to figure out if we want to do it and if it's feasible. We're not asking Toledo club about it quite yet because we have to determine the level of interest first, don't want to waste anyones time, but I'm confident Toledo would be receptive to the idea, even if a few members aren't so sure. I don't see any problems on this end. It's not a question of money, because while daughter steadily sucks my bank account dry, I'm happy to pick up any special costs and sponsor the heat. It shouldn't be a problem for Toledo since it's really just adding a heat (or two, I'm optimistic,) not unlike what they've done by including pan and GT. And I don't think it detracts from modern pan; if anything, I think it adds to it. We couldn't race vintage on a regular basis due to lack of parts and peoples desire to not ruin their shelf queens, but it does help demonstrate the continuity from the past to the present and future and certainly could be done either as a one time event or a once a year thing.

And no one else is doing something like this. There are no events with "history in motion," where we can celebrate a very long running event and hobby with cars older than some of the participants. These will be the cars that originally ran and started Toledo as a club. Again, anyone with an interest in doing this, please leave a post with your intentions so everyone else can see and help determine if this is something we want to do.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:10 AM
Tech Master

i would love to run the vintage......(open motor)(but not sure if my vaca next year is going to allow me to show at all next year for GLC....won't know till first of the year...)...we cold just run 1 10 minute exhibition main...we dont even have to qualify for that matter....but lets run the VINTAGE bodies if at all possible.....you mean we cant squeeze in one more 10 minute run in a multi day event?..........and Phil...get hunting for affordable foam...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.