Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree12Likes

Yokomo MR-4TC SD

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 12:57 AM
Tech Master

Hi friends. Greetings from Malta, and a happy new year to all.

I have met Andy East and seen his tub chassis car. Very impressive workmanship, and in my opinion just what the SD needed.

The C/F chassis was made by Fibre Lyte in UK to Andy's designs.

Now that Andy has mentioned that he cannot export - Don't know why Andy - you could become rich! perhaps I can tell you how I got round the same problem.

I recently cut a chassis out of 3.8mm carbon fibre sheet - also supplied by Fibre Lyte. I used the Rayspeed geometry for the steering, using a Rayspeed top plate and towers, and didn't make it look like a sieve - like Rayspeed have done. By moving the servo further forward again and running the servo to steering arm link ahead of the steering pivots I also managed to move the cells much further forward and also further towards the centre.

But of course the main advantage has got to be the rigidity of the 3.8mm chassis. The car has become so much more responsive, and just does not tweak.

More recently I have been playing with shocks, but more about that later.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 01-03-2004, 12:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

x-losi guy here too. I agree with randman, but the xxx-s is still a great car, just not as great as my SD.
Old 01-03-2004, 05:10 AM
Tech Addict

Default driveshafts again

hi,
I was wondering if i bought the Tobee Craft bones for my driveshafts, will that solve the problems of the cylinder inside being too tight or am i better off altering my current yok ones?

Sleighty
Old 01-03-2004, 07:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The Tobee Crafts are supposed to be better. The bones are thicker at the end to give them more strength. Square also sells Ti axles and Ti bones. Lighter, but not sure if they are any stronger.

Suggest you adapt a TC-3 Buds bumper to strengthen up the front of your car. This bumper is wider than the Yoke bumper and will give you more protection. I believe the Yoke Hardened Universals are the best bet for Mod class.
Old 01-03-2004, 08:23 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Just so you know, on my square driveshafts, I had to bore the hole out a bit to get the cylinder in there at all, I dont think that's the best idea in this situation. The tobee crafts have the same size hole as the SD driveshaft, so it'll work fine.
Old 01-03-2004, 08:40 AM
Tech Regular

johnbull- on an earlier post at the begining of this thread you triangulated the front suspension. What is neede to do this mod?
Old 01-03-2004, 08:59 AM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by Randman
Just so you know, on my square driveshafts, I had to bore the hole out a bit to get the cylinder in there at all, I dont think that's the best idea in this situation. The tobee crafts have the same size hole as the SD driveshaft, so it'll work fine.
Will they solve the problem that the cylinders are too tight though?

Sleighty
Old 01-03-2004, 02:49 PM
Tech Regular

Default Servo horn

What is a good aftermarket servo horn?
Old 01-03-2004, 08:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

Have any of you guys seen the new doggs that losi has for the xxx-4. they have little bearings on the drive pins and the drive cup slots are machined wider to acomodate the bearings. looks sweet. maybe we will see something like this for the SD. I think this would improve efficeincey and free up the drivetrain.
Old 01-03-2004, 11:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default WYD and Randman

The C/F chassis. Made the "A" main. Third qualifier I was on a 18/5:01 pace I was told. TQ was 19/5:05 or :07. Anyway I choked and ended up with 18/5:09. The real fast guys did 19 laps 5:12 at least. If I didn't choke I'm like number 5 ended up 9th. Oh well. Carpet, tight track and I came home with no scuffs or cracks in the body. It's a testimate on how easy it was to drive the Fibre Lyte Carbon Fiber Chassis. I thought my Losi was easy. The C/F SD was a day in the park. I never had to think about driving I just drove. Needless to say all at the http://www.rctrack.com wanted to see the chassis after posting it on rc tech. Now I need batteries because I borrowed a SMC drivers batts (1.18's I have 1.17) and saw the difference in speed. The 19T Reedy quad mag had a turbo on it. The Mazda body went ZOOM ZOOM like the kid says.

The main.... well someone parked it on the straight (first lap) and I hit head on. Nothing broke but the motor moved so the spur was chewed. Didn't care because the whole day was... "Did you see Isaac's car?" "The car looks good on the track Isaac!" Loved that stuff!

So Randman and WYD it's all that. It works as good as it looks! Easiest car I have driven PERIOD.
Old 01-03-2004, 11:10 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally posted by Sleighty
Will they solve the problem that the cylinders are too tight though?

Sleighty
No, like I said, you have to bore them out.
Old 01-03-2004, 11:11 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally posted by BlackFlagRacing
Have any of you guys seen the new doggs that losi has for the xxx-4. they have little bearings on the drive pins and the drive cup slots are machined wider to acomodate the bearings. looks sweet. maybe we will see something like this for the SD. I think this would improve efficeincey and free up the drivetrain.
I saw them on Todd Hodges car tonight, I didn't think they were avalible yet though. I really dont know what good they do though.
Old 01-03-2004, 11:19 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Isaac, glad to hear you're happy with the tub chassis, makes me want the CGM car even more...

I wish I had the same luck today, but it was a pretty bad raceday. We got 13 heats, and 2 of those were expert/pro classes. On my last practice run, I was going through the high speed sweeper, when someone else was directly in my line, unfortunately he was going backwards on the track. Put a fracture down the RS chassis, and broke a few parts in the drivetrain. Got the car built and ready for the first qualifier, lined up, hit the gas and the car torqued right. Pulled it off so I didn't get in anyones way, got to the pits, and 3 of the drivetrain bearings were shot, including the front 2, so when I nailed the gas off the line, the imput gear shifted and stripped itself, and the 1 way. 2'nd qualifier I started near the back, got off to a clean start, and was posting lap times just off of Chris T's times when I got the feeling down, went around a turn, rolled over a dot with the right rear, and my spur stripped

I just packed and went home, gonna completely rebuild the car for the carpet champs next weekend..
Old 01-03-2004, 11:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Well being right off of Chris T's times means you probably would have gotten the 20 laps the one guy almost got at our track. Well another thing the chassis loaded without a body was 48.6oz. No tweak issues. Set it and that was it for the night.
Old 01-03-2004, 11:29 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Unfortunately by the time I was hitting those laps, I was actually pacing off of Chris when he lapped me... just a really long day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.