Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree321Likes

Yokomo BD9

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 12:24 PM
Tech Elite

Default Too Flexy

I made a mistake choosing the carbon edition kit for my Medius conversion It's way too flexy for my track. It handles like all the other wet noodles I've tried over the years - slow initial turn in, then too much steering for the rest of the trip around the corner. I wanted a very light car for my tracks new TC rules with a 1320g weight limit and better ability to balance the car.
Old 09-08-2019, 02:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DavidNERODease
I made a mistake choosing the carbon edition kit for my Medius conversion It's way too flexy for my track. It handles like all the other wet noodles I've tried over the years - slow initial turn in, then too much steering for the rest of the trip around the corner. I wanted a very light car for my tracks new TC rules with a 1320g weight limit and better ability to balance the car.
You racing at Kingsville with Black Carpet?

I guess you can try to buy the chassis itself at about half the cost of the mid motor kit.
Old 09-08-2019, 03:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 190mph
You racing at Kingsville with Black Carpet?

I guess you can try to buy the chassis itself at about half the cost of the mid motor kit.
We are still on grey carpet, but grip is high in the summer. I'm worried the Arrowmax aluminum chassis still won't be stiff enough with the split upper deck.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

is it flexing more than the stock chassis?

Old 09-09-2019, 10:36 AM
Tech Elite

I was using the Yokomo aluminum chassis prior to the conversion but I stupidly chose the carbon edition of the Medius kit. So my bad but we are talking wet noodle - very similar to the original MTC1 kit. I need to make a decision quick as I have big race on black carpet this month. Can anyone comment on the flex with the Medius aluminum chassis? It looks to have very large cutouts - extra flex style. I don't want to invest more in the Medius if it's still too flexy when I could get that new PSM chassis instead and just put the mid pulley thing on hold for now. I need to make a decision like today
Old 09-09-2019, 11:51 AM
Tech Addict

I was using the Yokomo aluminum chassis prior to the conversion but I stupidly chose the carbon edition of the Medius kit. So my bad but we are talking wet noodle - very similar to the original MTC1 kit. I need to make a decision quick as I have big race on black carpet this month. Can anyone comment on the flex with the Medius aluminum chassis? It looks to have very large cutouts - extra flex style. I don't want to invest more in the Medius if it's still too flexy when I could get that new PSM chassis instead and just put the mid pulley thing on hold for now. I need to make a decision like today
I bought the medius alum conversion and still haven't installed it. I am so happy with my set up on black crc right now with the rear motor config I don't really have a push to do so. I should get on it.. Are you talking about the Crisp Cup at Outlaw in welland near the end of the month? I will see you there if so, not many Yok's around the Toronto Area that's for sure.

I feel you cannot go wrong with the stock alum base plate using the long T motor mount for additional flex options along with the center weight being bolted down on both ends and the rear carbon U brace.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:52 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DaSilva3525
I bought the medius alum conversion and still haven't installed it. I am so happy with my set up on black crc right now with the rear motor config I don't really have a push to do so. I should get on it.. Are you talking about the Crisp Cup at Outlaw in welland near the end of the month? I will see you there if so, not many Yok's around the Toronto Area that's for sure.

I feel you cannot go wrong with the stock alum base plate using the long T motor mount for additional flex options along with the center weight being bolted down on both ends and the rear carbon U brace.
Yes, the Crisp Cup. My BD9 was fantastic the moment it hit the track. I ran the centre weight and rear carbon wishbone as well. It felt incredible until a "tick boom" bent the aluminum chassis. I am convinced the mid pulley is the way to go but not if the flex isn't right.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:01 PM
Tech Champion

Yes, the Crisp Cup. My BD9 was fantastic the moment it hit the track. I ran the centre weight and rear carbon wishbone as well. It felt incredible until a "tick boom" bent the aluminum chassis. I am convinced the mid pulley is the way to go but not if the flex isn't right.
ive run both the Yokomo and original Mugen on gray carpet. How much bite does yours have that you call these cars wet noodle?😮.

Old 09-09-2019, 03:37 PM
Tech Elite

Well, the PSM chassis looks to good to resist so it's on the way - with the silver inlay weights but I see that Arrowmax has released "Hard" upper decks for the Medius kit. So maybe with the aluminum chassis and the new Type 2 upper deck it will better suit my needs but I'll wait and see a bit here. AM-910021 AM Medius Yokomo BD9 MID Topdeck 2.0mm Hard Type 2
Also Rebellion's new Cross flex chassis looks sick - so many goodies to drool over these days. https://rc-carbonstore.com/TC72-MM-A...flex-Chassis_1
Old 09-11-2019, 06:17 PM
Tech Champion

Are the guys that got the Arrowmax conversion running it with the same setup they ran in rear motor? Curious to see how the car drives in mid motor.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:14 PM
Tech Regular

Probably the problem is that they put the top deck split on the front instead of the rear like is done traditionally . I believe if they change this it would be much better. In the meantime I think you should try the front stand off screw in with the proper amount of spacers under the top deck. To stiffen the front.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:24 PM
Tech Initiate

How do you guys think this car rates against the Mugen MTC1 chassis?
Old 09-13-2019, 02:07 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EGG ROLL
almost everyone I’ve ever seen own an mtc1 has either disliked or sold it. The BD9 however, is a proven race contender and provides a very high ease of maintenance. I would go with the BD9 if your tuning skills are anything other than exceptional.
Old 09-13-2019, 04:18 AM
Tech Champion

The Mugen was a solid car. I ran it prior to getting my BD9. Well made parts and and easier to get parts for IMO. When they switched to their C-hub platform the first few runs had super weak caster blocks and many put it down because of that. They fixed this issue but it was too late for some. They Yok is a great car that works out the box. Only issue I have is the shocks aren’t up to par. I’m very happy with my BD9 and wish it had a couple of features on it that the Mugen has.

Old 09-13-2019, 07:33 AM
Tech Elite

Default BD9 vs MTC1

As others have mentioned - the BD9 is a killer right out of the box. But the MTC1'19 probably is too... I just haven't put my upgraded kit on the track yet. I fully expect it to be just as fast as my BD9 with all the 2019 refinements.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.