Search
Like Tree248Likes

Xray XB4 thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 08:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcgod
The kit setup with 1 dot rear springs should be pretty good. I would run saddles and center diff with 100k to start. Also ride height 23mm. You can unscrew the shock ends a little to get more droop also, just make sure the driveshafts aren't binding in the outdrives under full extension and compression. The stock pistons are ok, a little smaller in diameter than they should be so I like the Schelle 1.1/1.5 pistons front and 1.1/1.6 in the rear with 37.5/30 oil depending on temp.
Thanks for the quick reply.

You say to run the saddle set up versus the shorty, could you elaborate on this please. What are the advantages of one over the other in regards to the track.

What are the stock piston size? I take it going to larger holes is for faster rebound to deal with a bumpy track.

Softer rear spring, again for the bumpy track?

I do have the center diff coming as well, would you mind explaining the effects of oil weight in all three diffs please.

For droop, more(down travel) is better for for a bumpy track, less for a smooth track?

Then there are tires, this seems like a can of worms! Too many choices!

Cheers,
Old 06-08-2015, 09:57 AM
Tech Master

New release from Xray:

XB4 Graphite Chassis Braces

Optional graphite chassis brace for short packs/saddle packs allow the removal of the top deck to reinforce the chassis.
The brace is installed in the lower part of the composite brace connected directly to the chassis.
By removing the top deck and using these optional braces, the car generates more traction.
There are various mounting points (screws) which allow for further flex adjustment.

#361168 Graphite Chassis Brace Upper Deck - Short Pack (2)
#361169 Graphite Chassis Brace Upper Deck - Saddle Pack (2)

• Flex adjustment
• Generates more traction
• Various mounting points
• Premium graphite material

Bent
Old 06-08-2015, 09:58 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

+1 on no more top decks
Old 06-08-2015, 12:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Anyone have an idea on price?
Old 06-08-2015, 12:12 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by GrandeGixxer
Anyone have an idea on price?
Google is your friend

Part numbers are right there in the release info.

They are in stock in several shops in Europe.

Bent
Old 06-08-2015, 03:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Feedback on 3mm Chassis?
Old 06-08-2015, 04:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Ok, so XRAY has a new 3mm Chassis that is $90. Now they have these stiffeners. So are these an alternative to buying the 3mm chassis? What would be better, the 3mm chassis or the stiffeners?
Old 06-08-2015, 05:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I'm going with the $30 stiffeners over the $90 chassis.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ridgeback
Ok, so XRAY has a new 3mm Chassis that is $90. Now they have these stiffeners. So are these an alternative to buying the 3mm chassis? What would be better, the 3mm chassis or the stiffeners?
Martin Bayer's buggy was running EOS events this winter, he used the 3mm chassis and also the 2mm chassis with these stiffeners, both times on carpet. I'm not sure if the 3mm or the 2mm+stiffeners are ideal for hard packed or clay. Bayer did run his 3mm EOS set up at OCRC, but that's one of the only ones I've found on petitrc, and that was sometime ago. For hard packed I'm running shorty, and only the front deck. Going to an X-Brace and these stiffeners is going to do what vs. what I'm already doing? More flex adjustment I guess?
Old 06-08-2015, 08:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SLOWINSLOWOUT
Thanks for the quick reply.

You say to run the saddle set up versus the shorty, could you elaborate on this please. What are the advantages of one over the other in regards to the track.

What are the stock piston size? I take it going to larger holes is for faster rebound to deal with a bumpy track.

Softer rear spring, again for the bumpy track?

I do have the center diff coming as well, would you mind explaining the effects of oil weight in all three diffs please.

For droop, more(down travel) is better for for a bumpy track, less for a smooth track?

Then there are tires, this seems like a can of worms! Too many choices!

Cheers,
Saddle puts more weight in the rear. Also a little heavier. Works better for low bite tracks in my experience. You can get the shorty to work on low bite especially with ball diffs but saddles are an easier way to get there without changing a lot of stuff on the setup.

Shorty is lighter and the car changes direction quicker and lands jumps a little better in general.

Stock pistons are a little loose in the shock bodies. More oil goes around rather than thru the piston holes than with tighter fitting pistons like Avid or Schelle.

Most guys are running 60k to 100k fluid in the center diff for low bite. Makes it easier to apply power coming out of turns without the rear coming around. Also gives more off power steering. Just makes the car easier to drive. The lighter the center fluid the less punch and acceleration and less on power steering, but easier to drive.

More droop gives more weight transfer which usually means more traction. The car will transition slower side to side but lands jumps better. More droop also can traction roll easier on higher bite tracks.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Does anyone know if the X-brace is required when running the standard 2mm chassis with the new graphite stiffeners and not using both front and rear top decks?

Re-phrasing: can one run the 2mm chassis without both front and rear top decks if one has the new graphite stiffeners installed. If so is the x-brace required or can it be used as an optional tuning part.
I like the idea of not having top decks as it sounds like the new chassis stiffeners allow for more flex if desired while negating the need for both front and rear top decks.

Thanks
Old 06-09-2015, 08:17 PM
Tech Master

Hey Norse, I just checked for "chassis focus" on another site and there are photos of Martin Bayer's XB4 at the EOS Austria, running the 2mm+stiffeners, with no X-brace, on carpet, so I guess it can be done.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:52 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by HeavyD99
Hey Norse, I just checked for "chassis focus" on another site and there are photos of Martin Bayer's XB4 at the EOS Austria, running the 2mm+stiffeners, with no X-brace, on carpet, so I guess it can be done.

As mentioned before Martin's EOS setup with 2mm chassis and stiffeners also included different side pods to the chassis.

On high grip Malin doesn't like to run without the front 2mm X-brace as it gets a bit inconsistent, but for low to medium grip it should work out just fine

Bent
Old 06-09-2015, 11:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

anyone find front or rear diff case braces for sale in the usa yet?
Old 06-10-2015, 01:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HeavyD99
Thanks Heavy! much appreciated my friend. Your info. and Bentka's info. seems to justify just the graphite stiffeners needed if running on low to medium bite which I am running pretty much a low bite track all summer.

Thanks again my friend.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.