Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speedmerchant Rev.4

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 06:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

evil- sounds like your car is tweaked or you might have a collapsed front spring, something to make your car not have its weight even left and right.
Old 09-16-2006, 06:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stormperson
evil- sounds like your car is tweaked or you might have a collapsed front spring, something to make your car not have its weight even left and right.
Yeah, that's what I thought. It's a brand new car, I went back and checked the front geometry and everything is good. Put the car on speedmind tweek board and it's good.

It only pulls during breaking. Running mod, it pulled just a tad on throttle but, breaking hard for a turn would make it pull the oposite way hard. I'm going to play with it a little more and see what I can find. I just didn't know if maybe someone had the same problem at one time. I'm used to driving T-bar cars and this is a little different than what I'm used to. I'll figure it out.

Thanks
Old 09-16-2006, 06:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Was the car pushing and oversteering in the same corners consistantly? With the track just getting a new layout, it might be the way the carpet fibers are laying. I noticed a that in one corner my car would push a little and another that it wanted to oversteer. I ran the layout backward and it didn't have that push turning right that I had running forward. I have say, my car felt awesome. I don't know if I will even run TC again.
Old 09-16-2006, 06:59 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Rob Phillips
Was the car pushing and oversteering in the same corners consistantly? With the track just getting a new layout, it might be the way the carpet fibers are laying. I noticed a that in one corner my car would push a little and another that it wanted to oversteer. I ran the layout backward and it didn't have that push turning right that I had running forward. I have say, my car felt awesome. I don't know if I will even run TC again.
You're right Rob, I didn't even consider the new layout but, I didn't notice any of that with my TC. Although, that was later in the day and it's a different animal all together. I got the batteries back in the car and am now thinking the wires may have been binding a little. Not totally sure about that but, I'm going to try wiring a little differently next time.

Later
Old 09-16-2006, 07:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Any ideas on a starting Stock setup to use on a Rev 4.5 for the IIC this coming week?

Basically, I have .020 front springs, blue center spring with 30 wt oil in shock, the new stiff SpeedMerchant rear springs and purple/gray CRC Procut Track Magnet tires.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:44 AM
Tech Master

This is the set up I plan on running in vegas...

Front End:
.020 front springs
2 degrees of castor
a hint of toe in

Rear:
Blue center spring
.021 side springs (old blues)
10k diff oil in the tubes
30wt Xray in the center shock (40-45 of standard, AE, trinity, losi oil)
about 1 degree of droop and 1 degree of sag

Other:
-Parma purple fronts trued to 1.67 (make sure they dont wear too much or else you wont be able to pass tech. I run the lowered front steering blocks to be able to run a smaller tire)
-Parma grey rears trued to 1.72
-Parma speed 8 body
-around a 31-32/100 gear to start off with
and batteries full back and ride height as low as possible with passing tech

I have run pretty much exactly this set up minus maybe a center spring change (never softer than blue or harder than red though) and made 3 of the last 4 national level A mains that I have been to and the car has always been better than what my driving has shown, lol

If you have any questions at the race stop by me (Mark Strasnick), bruce or any of the speedmerchant drivers for help
Old 09-17-2006, 08:01 AM
Tech Master

Hi all,

I am thinking of getting one of these cars and just wanted to know a few things first:

1. How do they perform on asphalt? (med-high bite outdoor tracks)
2. What do I need to buy to run on asphalt?
3. What spare/optional parts will I need?
4. What is the quality of the kit like? (ie. how much handfitting, missing/incorrect screws, etc. etc.)

Thanks in advance.

Leonard.
Old 09-17-2006, 04:38 PM
Tech Adept

Leonard,

See page 22 of this thread for the setup I posted a few months ago. My son Jeff Brown used this setup to win the US Asphalt On-Road National Championship in the stock class. This setup works very well in stock and 19 turn racing...modified may need a little different setup due to extra power.

The only extras you should need are .018 front springs and the Jaco tires mentioned in the setup. Other tires may work, but this is what Jeff used. Kit quality is excellent...no Dremel tool needed.

Larry Brown
Old 09-17-2006, 05:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Has any tried the newer AE front end on the car on carpet ? If so how do you like it ?

Thanks
Old 09-17-2006, 05:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EVILGRAFX
You're right Rob, I didn't even consider the new layout but, I didn't notice any of that with my TC. Although, that was later in the day and it's a different animal all together. I got the batteries back in the car and am now thinking the wires may have been binding a little. Not totally sure about that but, I'm going to try wiring a little differently next time.

Later
Yeah, when I got there traction was much higher than it was Friday evening when I ran. Try running it backward through the sections that were giving you problems, and don't forget TC are 4wd, so they may not feel it as much. Try the Dumas setup out, or you can run mine and see what you think. I'll let you bind your radio to it so the radio will feel more natural and then you can feel the setup. As for the wiring, I have some 16awg if you need some, that's what I used.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:17 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Larry Brown
Leonard,

See page 22 of this thread for the setup I posted a few months ago. My son Jeff Brown used this setup to win the US Asphalt On-Road National Championship in the stock class. This setup works very well in stock and 19 turn racing...modified may need a little different setup due to extra power.

The only extras you should need are .018 front springs and the Jaco tires mentioned in the setup. Other tires may work, but this is what Jeff used. Kit quality is excellent...no Dremel tool needed.

Larry Brown

Thanks heaps Larry. Info much appreciated.

Leonard.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:39 PM
Tech Adept

Well, I am back from one of the greatest races hosted by Scotty E. in Las Vegas, the International .Indoor .Championships. With over 550 entries and world class drivers from all around the world it makes it one of the most prestegious and largest on-road races in the world. My hats off to Scotty and the crew at the I.I.C, as they did an excellent job. The hotel was first class with plenty of entertainment so you or your significant other wouldn't have to leave the hotel for extra activities. It is just an awsome race... I am already looking forward to next year event.

The I.I.C. turned out to be a great race for Team Speedmerchant. In the Modified 1/12th scale division Speedmerchant TQ'ed and Won the Event. Yet another great accomplishment for Team Speedmerchant with the REV 4.5. The car was awsome from the first Brood Powered battery to the last of the event.

I would like to personally thank all my sponsors, Team Speedmerchant, Team Brood, Team JR radios, team Novak and many more for all the help at the race. Bruce Carbone is an excellent person not to mention not a half bad mechanic... LOL, Just kidding. I must say Bruce and myself make a good team along with Jake Pritchard, Barry Baker, Andrew Gray and many others that I might have left off.

Couldn't do it without you Bruce, good job man....
Old 09-30-2006, 10:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

whats the best way to tighten up the suspension link balls without marring them?
Old 09-30-2006, 11:16 PM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by smojoe
whats the best way to tighten up the suspension link balls without marring them?
Hi Smojoe,

When I see mine getting a little loose what I like to do is take a nice pair of pliers and with the link attached use it to clamp down on the ball while I tighten the screw. If you are careful about it you won't crush the plastic rod end and those balls won't come loose again.

Nick
Old 09-30-2006, 11:21 PM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by Mike Dumas
Well, I am back from one of the greatest races hosted by Scotty E. in Las Vegas, the International .Indoor .Championships. With over 550 entries and world class drivers from all around the world it makes it one of the most prestegious and largest on-road races in the world. My hats off to Scotty and the crew at the I.I.C, as they did an excellent job. The hotel was first class with plenty of entertainment so you or your significant other wouldn't have to leave the hotel for extra activities. It is just an awsome race... I am already looking forward to next year event.

The I.I.C. turned out to be a great race for Team Speedmerchant. In the Modified 1/12th scale division Speedmerchant TQ'ed and Won the Event. Yet another great accomplishment for Team Speedmerchant with the REV 4.5. The car was awsome from the first Brood Powered battery to the last of the event.

I would like to personally thank all my sponsors, Team Speedmerchant, Team Brood, Team JR radios, team Novak and many more for all the help at the race. Bruce Carbone is an excellent person not to mention not a half bad mechanic... LOL, Just kidding. I must say Bruce and myself make a good team along with Jake Pritchard, Barry Baker, Andrew Gray and many others that I might have left off.

Couldn't do it without you Bruce, good job man....
Congratulations again Mike, you drove just perfect as usual. The field in Vegas was pretty rough and you almost made it look easy, tone to tone.

I just wandered over to the Speedmerchant site and Bruce put up a little race report from Vegas. Along with Mike's TQ and win in mod there were two Rev 4.5's in the stock main and with the traction challenges at this event the Rev 4.5 really showed how well it can be adapted in a hurry!

Check it out:
http://www.teamspeedmerchant.com/Vegas2006.html

Nick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.