Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Any thoughts? Really wanna drive my new car and this just won’t work right

-Shnoo
Old 03-11-2019, 02:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Shnoo
Steering works, and since in pit mode, the esc “revs” the leds when the gas is pressed.
I've never heard of an RX8 always going into pit mode like this... besides a hard reset, are you able to load a different firmware to the RX8? I've had some rare issues that were solved by putting an older version on the ESC and then updating to the latest.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Krio
I've never heard of an RX8 always going into pit mode like this... besides a hard reset, are you able to load a different firmware to the RX8? I've had some rare issues that were solved by putting an older version on the ESC and then updating to the latest.
Hmm, shoot. You need the HotWire thing right? I don’t have that....
Old 03-11-2019, 05:22 PM
Tech Initiate

So I recently updated to the 272 firmware on my rx8gen2, and now my low speed start up is acting weird on a sensorless motor. Was fine before the update. It starts to take off ok at low throttle, for a split second, then it lurches forward as if I pull the trigger more. I tried all the different throttle settings, and the timing. Can't figure out what setting is causing this.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:16 AM
Tech Champion

Hmm, shoot. You need the HotWire thing right? I don’t have that....
Hmm... Many racetracks have one on hand for racers to use. Might be worth a shot or if you can find another racer that runs Tekin. There's also a steady stream of used ones that show up on RCtech in the for sale section. Any Hotwire module will work with any Tekin ESC, so you can get a used gen1 Hotwire for $20 or so.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Krio
Hmm... Many racetracks have one on hand for racers to use. Might be worth a shot or if you can find another racer that runs Tekin. There's also a steady stream of used ones that show up on RCtech in the for sale section. Any Hotwire module will work with any Tekin ESC, so you can get a used gen1 Hotwire for $20 or so.
Ok, and if that doesn’t work? I’m screwed? Lol
I’ll try to find one.

-Shnoo
Old 03-13-2019, 07:40 AM
Tech Champion

Ok, and if that doesn’t work? I’m screwed? Lol
I’ll try to find one.

-Shnoo
I don't remember if you mentioned if you got it new or used, Tekin will replace it for free (takes 7-10 days in my experience) if it is still under warranty. Follow the steps here:
https://www.teamtekin.com/service.html

If it is out of warranty and a Gen3 esc, I can't imagine you'd be charged much to fix this Pit Mode issue. It's not like there's mechanical damage. You can request they call you for a total before they do any repairs so you aren't surprised. Worst case scenario, they will give you a brand new Gen3 for $140ish even if it's a Gen1 RX8.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:06 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hey!

Thought I’d post this here and maybe get some help...

[Copy and pasted from my thread]
Tekin RX8 Stuck in pit mode?

First run out ran it around for a little while, temp were fine. Took a hit to front left a arm (NOWHERE NEAR the esc) and the whole system shut off. Had that happen before with other escs, so I just let it rest. (Which has always worked with other companies esc) Plugged my batt back in, turned it on and it was suddenly in pit mode. Messed with settings, on and off, and nothing. So went to factory reset. AFTER COMPLETE RESET it’s still in pit mode. All my other settings were reset, but can’t get out of pit mode. It wasn’t even a hard it, there’s a chip off the a-arm and that’s it. Probably goin mid 20s. This was my first Tekin esc and I’ve gotta say not impressed so far. $350 setup lasts one run before giving me crap. I’ve used pretty much every other brand out there and only a cheap chinese esc ever did this to me, but it lasted a whole 2 runs! Any Tekin reps here? Gotta say, not a fan so far. Thought I’d give you guys a shot since so many people like you guys, but it’s biting me in the butt leaving Castle.

PLEASE HELP!
This is an Rx8 Gen 2 or 3? Are the buttons damaged in any way? Did this esc get wet?
Old 03-13-2019, 07:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
This is an Rx8 Gen 2 or 3? Are the buttons damaged in any way? Did this esc get wet?
Gen 2 and no, never wet. Buttons are fine.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:30 PM
Team Tekin

Can you send me a video of the esc booting up: [email protected]
1/8 IC Fan likes this.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
Can you send me a video of the esc booting up: [email protected]
Sure thing, I’ll send it tomorrow when I get off work.
Old 04-07-2019, 06:11 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I picked up a used rx8 gen 2 here in the classifieds and I'm having some trouble getting it going. Sometimes it makes noise on startup, other times not. I've resoldered the leads to the t8 gen 2 1900kv motor 3 different times and have the same issue. Steering works when it fires up, but throttle does not. Any thoughts?
Old 04-08-2019, 06:58 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by empaint3
I picked up a used rx8 gen 2 here in the classifieds and I'm having some trouble getting it going. Sometimes it makes noise on startup, other times not. I've resoldered the leads to the t8 gen 2 1900kv motor 3 different times and have the same issue. Steering works when it fires up, but throttle does not. Any thoughts?
What lights are flashing on the ESC when it won't power up? It sounds like the deadband setting is too small and the ESC isn't consistently seeing neutral, so it won't arm and send power to the motor. If the first 3 or last 3 lights are flashing, then the esc is seeing either a slight amount of brake or throttle. Try re-calibrating the ESC. If that doesn't work, do a factory reset to make sure the deadband setting is at the default amount and try again.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:37 PM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by empaint3
The sound comes from the motor actually. The ESC "pings" the motor to make the sound. When powered on what led's are shown?
Old 08-01-2019, 02:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Just brought a RC8B3e that came with a Gen2 RX8.

Question is about the cooling fan. It starts when you power it up but after about 5 seconds it shuts down, normal?

Most other ESC's I've used the fan just runs start to stop but does this start and stop as needed?

I haven't actually run the buggy yet to see what the fan does over the run, thought I'd check before hand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.