Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree20Likes

Official Tekin RX8 GEN2 ESC Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 10:03 AM
Tech Rookie

I have a RX8 1900kv combo and need help. It is running really alow and my slash 4x4 on 3s will smoke it. I am running a 4s battery with 16/46 gearing. I feel like it should be screaming and it barely spins the tires. I bought it used so i have never seen it run can anyone help? I am new to this site and just got back into the rc thing after about 12years.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TomRawe
I have a RX8 1900kv combo and need help. It is running really alow and my slash 4x4 on 3s will smoke it. I am running a 4s battery with 16/46 gearing. I feel like it should be screaming and it barely spins the tires. I bought it used so i have never seen it run can anyone help? I am new to this site and just got back into the rc thing after about 12years.
When you got it did you re-calibrate the ESC to your radio? If not, look at the manual online and do the process then retest it.
Old 03-30-2018, 11:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TC3MIKE
Since tekin won't answer a simple question on their facebook page I hoping someone could answer my question here. Will a RX8 genIII run a 2.5 turn 540 Drag motor?
Hi TC3MIKE...If you considering using the RX8 for drags that is not a very popular choice. I've also tried it with not very satisfactory results. As Randy has said, the RS Pro Black is the go to. I also use the CC Monster (now the Monster X) for my 3s stuff.
Randy_Pike likes this.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:45 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Pretty sure I answered this via email, the Rc8.2 correct? if so you're under geared by 4 teeth due to the 4.3 trans ratio
Old 03-30-2018, 10:57 PM
Tech Rookie

Yes Randy you did i ask on the here before i contacted you. Thank you for the quick response by the way. I ordered the pinions today will find out next week if that takes care of my issue. Thanks again.
Randy_Pike likes this.
Old 03-31-2018, 03:49 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

That’s odd I’m 17/46 and I’m popping wheelies and spinning tires

On enduro tires though
Old 04-02-2018, 08:05 PM
Team Tekin

Understand the the Rc8 series of cars went through an internal gear box ratio change at one point. The latest version is 3.31 like many 1/8 cars, whereas the older models was 4.30 which is a 4 pinion tooth difference in FDR.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:11 PM
Tech Regular

Hmm forgot about that and mine is only a couple years old too

I was thinking he had it at 50% or something
Old 04-06-2018, 04:14 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mourinho
I noticed that their was a ticking/clicking noise coming from either the motor or esc, I couldn't tell which, so I desoldered the motor and powered up the esc, no ticking no code.
Resoldered all connections and pulled apart esc to blow out and its all good.
Works flawless.
Cheers
I had the same issue. Tekin had me hold down both buttons on the ESC for 5 seconds to reset it...Problem solved. Apparently, the ESC was in brushed mode. Resetting made it detect a brushless motor.
Randy_Pike likes this.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Wtb

anyone have a combo for sale
Old 04-19-2018, 03:43 PM
Team Tekin

what car is this?
Old 05-19-2018, 06:03 PM
Tech Addict

I just had 2 rotors grenade on me, and I'm trying to figure out why.

I'm running a 4038 1350kv on 6S on a MBX7TR. On the first (original) rotor, the fiberglass wrapped around the magnets broke straight across, like it was cut along the edge of one of the magnets. The magnets came out completely intact, not broken. All 4 magnets separated from the rotor core, which came out by itself, leaving the magnets stuck to the inside of the can.

I wanted to keep running my truggy, so I pulled the rotor out of my 4038 2000kv motor in and put it in the 1350kv.

Now it's the next weekend, and half way through the third pack since the rotor swap, that rotor grenaded. This second rotor had a different failure. One of the magnets cracked toward the back of the motor. It looks like there was some rubbing, but I don't know if that caused the failure, or if it happened because of the failure. It looked fine when I installed it.

I don't see anything obviously wrong with the second rotor when I installed it. And the bearings look fine.

I'm running an RX8 ESC, with torque set to 1. I was using a 15T pinion at the time, but had run a 16T on the previous run. Motor temps ended at 180F, so I went back down 1 tooth. I ran the 15T last year.

So yeah, what's the most likely issue? Is something wrong with my motor, or is it somehow set-up related? Should I be geared higher, despite the motor temps?

I ordered 2 new rotors last week, thinking I'd have a spare (out of stock... ), but at this point I'm hesitant to install a new rotor in the motor. I don't want to ruin another rotor if this is going to happen again.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:38 PM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by fredygump
I just had 2 rotors grenade on me, and I'm trying to figure out why.

I'm running a 4038 1350kv on 6S on a MBX7TR. On the first (original) rotor, the fiberglass wrapped around the magnets broke straight across, like it was cut along the edge of one of the magnets. The magnets came out completely intact, not broken. All 4 magnets separated from the rotor core, which came out by itself, leaving the magnets stuck to the inside of the can.

I wanted to keep running my truggy, so I pulled the rotor out of my 4038 2000kv motor in and put it in the 1350kv.

Now it's the next weekend, and half way through the third pack since the rotor swap, that rotor grenaded. This second rotor had a different failure. One of the magnets cracked toward the back of the motor. It looks like there was some rubbing, but I don't know if that caused the failure, or if it happened because of the failure. It looked fine when I installed it.

I don't see anything obviously wrong with the second rotor when I installed it. And the bearings look fine.

I'm running an RX8 ESC, with torque set to 1. I was using a 15T pinion at the time, but had run a 16T on the previous run. Motor temps ended at 180F, so I went back down 1 tooth. I ran the 15T last year.

So yeah, what's the most likely issue? Is something wrong with my motor, or is it somehow set-up related? Should I be geared higher, despite the motor temps?

I ordered 2 new rotors last week, thinking I'd have a spare (out of stock... ), but at this point I'm hesitant to install a new rotor in the motor. I don't want to ruin another rotor if this is going to happen again.
I would recommend giving the inside of the can a thorough inspection for debris. There's not a ton of air gap in between the rotor and the stator. If a rock or debris gets between the two, it can cut/destroy the kevlar wrap. The wrap doesn't really hold the magnet segments to the shaft, but is back up in case the segments fail for whatever reason. How old are these?

We have recently updated the rotor to improve reliability and have "locked" the segments with a ring. This prevents the segments from coming off at all.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:19 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default fan port amp draw ?

I would like to hook up a wtf windy trumpet fan to the fan port . The fan pulls .48 amps and I am wondering if that port on the esc is able to handle that amp draw .
Old 05-24-2018, 10:24 AM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by carpetburner
I would like to hook up a wtf windy trumpet fan to the fan port . The fan pulls .48 amps and I am wondering if that port on the esc is able to handle that amp draw .
Should be fine. What's the fan for?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.