There has to be others
Old 03-17-2009, 04:31 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks Gadge,

now i see the difference.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

Track looks good and tight. Cant wait to get on it.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:53 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Good luck to all of you guys going to the nats.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:37 AM
CFR
Tech Regular

can the xray front end be fitted to the RR chassis?
Old 03-20-2009, 03:09 PM
Tech Lord

I am not really sure. I havent seen the xray front end in person yet.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:21 PM
Tech Champion

I believe the Xray uses a smaller metric screw to bolt on much like the Hot Bodies car.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:54 AM
Tech Adept

Hi,

is that right that the 12RR comes without a thrust bearing and washers?
Old 03-22-2009, 12:01 PM
Tech Lord

We do not use (or supply) a thrust bearing with the car. A thrust bearing hinders the diff action on the car due to the excess drag.(Thrust balls are sandwiched between washers which= drag). With using the flanged bearing as the thrust, there is almost zero side load as it uses the inner race to rest against and doesnt restrict rotation as it is tightened. The thrust bearings are great for use in club racing where you dont want to change the flanged bearing after a big hit. The thrust will increase time between rebuilds but when it comes to performance of the diff, the thrust bearing does hurt performance against a flanged bearing. This is why it is left to the consumer to make the decision if they want to use one. Hope that helps buddy.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:42 AM
Tech Lord

Hey guys,

I am releasing new optional shock pistons for the silva shock. There will be a 2 and 3 hole piston in the kit that have holes that are .005 smaller than the stock piston. The piston edges are radiused for a super smooth feel. They will be sold as a pair and will sell for $7.99 a pair. I will have them up on the website tommorow.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by protc3
We do not use (or supply) a thrust bearing with the car. A thrust bearing hinders the diff action on the car due to the excess drag.(Thrust balls are sandwiched between washers which= drag). With using the flanged bearing as the thrust, there is almost zero side load as it uses the inner race to rest against and doesnt restrict rotation as it is tightened. The thrust bearings are great for use in club racing where you dont want to change the flanged bearing after a big hit. The thrust will increase time between rebuilds but when it comes to performance of the diff, the thrust bearing does hurt performance against a flanged bearing. This is why it is left to the consumer to make the decision if they want to use one. Hope that helps buddy.
Really....
hmmmm
never thought about it that way.
I think the only pan car that uses one is the F103.
Now I'm thinkin' 'bout that too!
Old 03-23-2009, 11:03 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Back in my 1/10th oval days we used an AE thrust bearing that road on the outer race of the ball bearing itself so there was no drag from the washer rubbing the bearing. This resulted in the smoothest and most free diffs I have ever seen. Unfortunately this set-up is too big to fit in a 1/12th wheel. I'm not sure if anyone makes a similar set-up that will.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:13 AM
Tech Lord

Where the resistance comes from is the direction of the load placed on the balls. Thrusts have the balls sandwiched between the 2 washers and therefor has more resistance than on that has none. The thrust can handle a ton more side load being that its intended perpose is to withstand heavy side load. Unfortunately, the flimsy flanged bearings we use now yield much better results in performance due to the lack of resistance. Right now we are only working against 1 set of sandwiched balls in the diff. Adding a thrust just adds more. That being said, a diff with a thrust bearing is very smooth. It just has more resistance during operation. I fully reccomend running a thrust for lack of maintenece and also durabilty purposes. For ultimate performance, i stick with the flanged bearing.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:37 PM
Tech Adept

In the UK alot of us are running the thrust race from the corally SP12x you need to make up a spaces about 2mm to stop the nut hittind the carbon part of the axle makes for a really smooth low maintenance diff and seems to be better than the slapmaster one.

Jason
Old 03-23-2009, 01:02 PM

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by protc3
Where the resistance comes from is the direction of the load placed on the balls. Thrusts have the balls sandwiched between the 2 washers and therefor has more resistance than on that has none. The thrust can handle a ton more side load being that its intended perpose is to withstand heavy side load. Unfortunately, the flimsy flanged bearings we use now yield much better results in performance due to the lack of resistance. Right now we are only working against 1 set of sandwiched balls in the diff. Adding a thrust just adds more. That being said, a diff with a thrust bearing is very smooth. It just has more resistance during operation. I fully reccomend running a thrust for lack of maintenece and also durabilty purposes. For ultimate performance, i stick with the flanged bearing.
From my experience - Note: I am not where near good enough to be able to tell the minute performance 'gains' from not running a thrust bearing - Running the thrust bearing offers more consistent performance. As Jason says one good hit and you've just toasted a normal flanged bearing. I've had issues in the past - pre thrust bearing - where I had a solid shunt and the rest of the day the car drove very weird. With the thrust bearing I find the back end to be very consistent no matter what happens.

If you are the kind of driver who never touches wood or PVC... then maybe you'd benifit, but either way I dont notice any additional drag from a thrust bearing if the bearings are lubed with Moly and kept clean.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.