Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BMI's DB12R

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 02:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

As JasonB said above, the Corally thrust race is both lighter and smoother than the Slapmaster, and when correctly set up, will equal a normal bearing for performance. It will also last many times longer

The lube's only job is to grease the ball in the plastic holes. Moly is not the correct grease, as it will coat the balls and the races with a slippery surface, which is not what we want. Use the standard AE clear silicon diff grease on both main and thrust races, and your diff will perform, and last longer.

Dave Irrgang is not called 'The Diff Dude' for nothing, and his build tips are the best out there. I've followed this for years, and it works very time. Read the King of Diffs here. You'll find the answers spread out a bit, but the grease thing is mentioned twice.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:34 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

The Corally one is what I'm using now. I've been wanting to try the slapmaster but if you guys think Corally is better I guess I'll stick with it.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:11 PM

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SlowerOne
As JasonB said above, the Corally thrust race is both lighter and smoother than the Slapmaster, and when correctly set up, will equal a normal bearing for performance. It will also last many times longer

The lube's only job is to grease the ball in the plastic holes. Moly is not the correct grease, as it will coat the balls and the races with a slippery surface, which is not what we want. Use the standard AE clear silicon diff grease on both main and thrust races, and your diff will perform, and last longer.

Dave Irrgang is not called 'The Diff Dude' for nothing, and his build tips are the best out there. I've followed this for years, and it works very time. Read the King of Diffs here. You'll find the answers spread out a bit, but the grease thing is mentioned twice.
I mentioned moly above as the lube for the thrust bearing... thats the only place it gets used and is exactly the kind of use moly lube is meant for. The reason for the silicone on the diff balls is you want them to grip the plates, with moly that wouldnt happen. But in a thrust bearing you dont want grip or any friction so a small dab of a good moly grease will keep the thrust bearing from generating added friction under high loads.

Some of Dave's stuff there is quite old, theres a bunch of solid write ups around the web about how to handle the newer ceramic balls and how to properly break in the plates to get them to grip. With the Slapmaster thrust bearing (I havent seen the Corally one... but do want to try it) RC4less ceramic diff balls, the stock diff plates, and some 600grit sand paper, I can build a diff that spins free, yet doesnt slip at even at a standing start, and is only rebuilt about once ever 4 or 5 weeks.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

Jason, did you do any testing for the new RR version on asphalt or were these changes designed with carpet racing in mind?
Old 03-24-2009, 08:13 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

All of our testing is done on both asphalt and carpet. We dont release anything unless it passes the tests on both surfaces.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:23 PM
Tech Elite

Did you find any setup changes needed for the new RR on asphalt? I used your great free shipping offer and purchased the parts I needed to build a complete RR car. But I have'nt had a chance to run it yet and am wondering if I should expect to make any changes from the original R car.

Thanks
Chris
Old 03-24-2009, 08:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Clegg
I mentioned moly above as the lube for the thrust bearing... thats the only place it gets used and is exactly the kind of use moly lube is meant for. The reason for the silicone on the diff balls is you want them to grip the plates, with moly that wouldnt happen. But in a thrust bearing you dont want grip or any friction so a small dab of a good moly grease will keep the thrust bearing from generating added friction under high loads.

Some of Dave's stuff there is quite old, theres a bunch of solid write ups around the web about how to handle the newer ceramic balls and how to properly break in the plates to get them to grip. With the Slapmaster thrust bearing (I havent seen the Corally one... but do want to try it) RC4less ceramic diff balls, the stock diff plates, and some 600grit sand paper, I can build a diff that spins free, yet doesnt slip at even at a standing start, and is only rebuilt about once ever 4 or 5 weeks.

+1
Old 03-24-2009, 09:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

One of the sedans I bought came with ceramic diff balls. It quickly developed a gritty diff that was inconsistent. After replacing the balls several times and rebuilding the diff I got a chance to look at all of the parts under a microscope and found the ceramic diff balls were chipping, causing the problem (think mega jaw breaker dropped on concrete. Ive been a big fan of plain jane steel balls changed every diff rebuild since that eye opening experience Anyone finding ceramics to be fragile in pan car diffs?
Old 03-25-2009, 01:04 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by andrewdoherty
One of the sedans I bought came with ceramic diff balls. It quickly developed a gritty diff that was inconsistent. After replacing the balls several times and rebuilding the diff I got a chance to look at all of the parts under a microscope and found the ceramic diff balls were chipping, causing the problem (think mega jaw breaker dropped on concrete. Ive been a big fan of plain jane steel balls changed every diff rebuild since that eye opening experience Anyone finding ceramics to be fragile in pan car diffs?
It depends whos and what spec ceramics you are using. I can recommend Corally or RC4less balls Ive had one set in my 12th car for about 18 months. I have a set in my 10R that has been used inside and out doors and balls are still in top nick.
I have had balls from other sources that have chipped like you discribe.

Jason
Old 03-25-2009, 03:12 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chris moore
Did you find any setup changes needed for the new RR on asphalt? I used your great free shipping offer and purchased the parts I needed to build a complete RR car. But I have'nt had a chance to run it yet and am wondering if I should expect to make any changes from the original R car.

Thanks
Chris

I just went 1 spring rate softer on the center spring than the R and that was about it.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

I understand what you are saying, but both races are thrust races! Both hold plastic ball cages, but one is attached to a gear, and one isn't! What's good for one thrust race is good for the other. I find the moly attracts grit too easily, whereas the silicone grease doesn't. I don't think it matters much either way.

Totally agree on the set-up you describe, and I have diffs that run a long time. We run 10.5 and Open Mod (6.5 in my case) so I don't get as long out of a diff as you do - probably 12-15 runs - before the dirt gets into the holes where the balls are, and it all starts to drag a bit. However, with the Corally/RC4Less carbide balls, I never change balls in the diff, as Jason says.

The Corally thrust race is lighter, better made and much cheaper than the Slapmaster - you'll like it!
Old 03-25-2009, 01:26 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by protc3
I just went 1 spring rate softer on the center spring than the R and that was about it.
Cool thanks Jason
Old 03-25-2009, 03:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Huge race this week here in Duluth Minnesota. Its our annual state carpet champs Can't tell you how much fun its going to be putting laps on the CRC team guys with the new RR. BMI for life!!!!!!!
http://lsrcc.com/forum/portal.php
Old 03-25-2009, 07:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Does anyone know what cst the shur lubes are equal to?
Old 03-25-2009, 07:40 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SlowerOne
I understand what you are saying, but both races are thrust races! Both hold plastic ball cages, but one is attached to a gear, and one isn't! What's good for one thrust race is good for the other.
I have to disagree a bit. Normally what's good for a thrust bearing is a good grease like moly, wheel bearing grease, AE black grease, etc. These are not good lubes for the actual diff due to the torque being applied to it. This is not a normal operation for a thrust bearing so while a diff may be built just like a thrust bearing, it's operation is quite different. Greases will increase slippage which is not good on a diff and is why AE silicone is so good. A thrust bearing however, is not subjected to this torque that tries to slip it so a good grease (used sparingly) is perfectly fine for this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.