Wiki Posts
Search

1/8th On Road Losing Popularity?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 11:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SRAD
I have raced 1/8 for a number of years and have never bought a modified engine due to cost.

I still have fun running 1/8 without buying and running high dollar motors. In your mind if you can justify to yourself the cost of one of the high end motors....then buy it and run it.....it's your money.

I see nothing wrong with a spec type class for 1/8....I would defintely run it.

I can't agree with the notion that running spec in 1/8 will kill the class or drive racers away....I just don't buy it.
Agreed
Old 08-26-2005, 11:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

[QUOTE=jrabbito]In my opinion 1/8 is the pinnacle of r/c. Runnning slower, less competative, lower cost engines to me is a dangerous road to travel.

There might also be reliability issues with some of those lower cost alternatives. Forcing people to run these engines could also back-fire.

Dividing the class up into a spec and open class will only reduce numbers further. Educate new-comers.

In my opinion 1/8 has never been less expensive. There are alternatives out there. OS, Mega, Picco, Sirio, Novarossi all have non modified engines which are competative. Especially to someone starting out.

Get a "decent" motor and work on the car.

The alternative motors you listed would be good for spec racing. i know even nova has a motor that can be purchased for $300.00 but would not be comp.
with the high end motor. As for reliab. the lower cost motors lasts longer than the high end mod engines from the same manufacturers.

Last edited by Francis M.; 08-26-2005 at 12:57 PM.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:48 AM
Tech Regular

Exactly correct Carl.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

"Dividing the class up into a spec and open class will only reduce numbers further. Educate new-comers."

I totally disagree. How can this possibly reduce numbers? You say educate newcomers...on what....the cost of modified engines. I just don't get where you are coming from on this. In some clubs......the numbers are already down to levels where the same 8 or 9 guys are racing each other every race. If you tell me that I can race, have fun, be competitive, and have a chance of winning if I race spec class with cheaper motors...and only go .5 to .6 seconds slower a lap.....would that drive me away....heck I would be broke from racing every weekend.....that's would be the case with me!!!!
Old 08-26-2005, 01:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

the answer is not a spec 1/8th motor its a 15 big block in a 1/8th car. (their faster than you would think) when guys are ready they just put a 1/8th motor in their car and step up. A 15 in a 1/8th car makes them super competitive between each other, their super forgiving, the setup can be way off and the car still drives better than most can get their 1/8th to handle, the tires last forever and their almost impossible to break bla bla bla. This was tried a few years ago but at the time 235 4wd vds was hanging on so it never had a chance. I have witnessed many that really need not be driving 1/8th, their just not ready (most of the sedans could out run them easily) so this gives them a class to learn the basics while using a 1/8th car.

All a 1/8th spec motor is is another teching headache like sedan used to be. lets not go there.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default 1/8

Soooo.....how much are modified .15 engines these days? No matter what engine spec you decide to run you have to tech engines...unless you run open class.....which brings us back to where we started....and back to the cost factor. Running .15 motors in 1/8.....naah...not for me. I agree with you that there are many that are running 1/8 that shouldn't be...but I race other classes and you can say the same thing about them also. Why you don't you start a poll and see what racers would be receptive to. Leave it the way it is.....spec motor.....or .15 motor in 1/8....it would be interesting!!
Old 08-26-2005, 02:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Motorman
the answer is not a spec 1/8th motor its a 15 big block in a 1/8th car. (their faster than you would think) when guys are ready they just put a 1/8th motor in their car and step up. A 15 in a 1/8th car makes them super competitive between each other, their super forgiving, the setup can be way off and the car still drives better than most can get their 1/8th to handle, the tires last forever and their almost impossible to break bla bla bla. This was tried a few years ago but at the time 235 4wd vds was hanging on so it never had a chance. I have witnessed many that really need not be driving 1/8th, their just not ready (most of the sedans could out run them easily) so this gives them a class to learn the basics while using a 1/8th car.

All a 1/8th spec motor is is another teching headache like sedan used to be. lets not go there.
Teching only becomes an issue when you believe someone is cheating...Hence the reason why we want to have a few specific engines approved for a SPEC class. Easy to identify...especially when the manufacturers realize there is a market for this type of racing (Serpent...is starting) and will develop specially marked crank cases.

SPEC Engine...non-modified cranks - easy to double check (4 screws off the back plate)

.15 size engines in a 1/8th....you must be kidding??? We may as well all go and race sedans...

All we want to do is help lower the cost of racing, not take away the excitment of it......
Old 08-26-2005, 03:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

SPEC Engine...non-modified cranks - easy to double check (4 screws off the back plate)

That would be great if that was the key to all the major power. but it ain't!!!

.15 size engines in a 1/8th....you must be kidding??? We may as well all go and race sedans...

You might be suprised. If you have not run that combo you wouldn't know would you. They are not much slower than 1/10th open, you can hardly tell. as far as motors go theres only a couple 15 bigblocks to chose from, And as far as mod versions there is little to gain on the 15 big blocks so it becomes a moot point.

I hear spec class one moment then on the next breath its well thats to slow. some of you are a contridiction in terms. If you want a budget spec class I have given you a viable option, However when someone says its to slow it implies it really isn't wanted anyway. Funny thing every time one of these discussions comes the guys that squak the loudest are the guys who would have no intention of ever entering or running it in the first place.
They would rather spend a load of cash on the hottest hardware they can find, bash the hell out of it because its over their head and bitch about how much it costs and how they cant be competitive because they can't get the unobtanium parts and hardware factory drivers get. Kills me.
theres a reason I don't run 1/8th much. Because even though I think 1/8th is totally cool I know its out of my reaction and reflex range. somtimes its hard to accept that as male humans. Its not in our nature.

Last edited by Motorman; 08-26-2005 at 03:32 PM.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I know REX has a motor # R21b wich sells for $200.00 store price that would be good for spec racing. I'm sure top and nova rossi has thier own version of that engine and should be priced the same.

A few guys that i have talked to will run this motor at our club races
so i guess i'll be buying a 1/8th again.
As for the spec racing it is not really to try to slow down the cars so its easier to drive. It's about lowering the price of racing on a local level at least for me and i know a few other sedan drivers that has 1/8th scales on the shelf getting thier cars ready.

Last edited by Francis M.; 08-26-2005 at 07:47 PM.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:31 PM
Tech Regular

Default Toys For Tot's

Crystal Park will have a 1/8th "stock" class at this years Toy's for Tot's race. You will have to run a 5 port stock engine. Turbo motors will be ok. The dates for this race are December 3-4. Cant wait to see the results!
Old 08-26-2005, 03:35 PM
Tech Master

This class first appearance will be at Crystal Park Race at the Toys for Tots race.
This is not a spec class nor is it a beginner class, it is a stock 1/8TH scale class with 21 motors.
All that is required is a stock 5 port engine.
I'm looking forward to racing this class because it will pitch skill against skill instead of power.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:35 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Mike_Swauger
Crystal Park will have a 1/8th "stock" class at this years Toy's for Tot's race. You will have to run a 5 port stock engine. Turbo motors will be ok. The dates for this race are December 3-4. Cant wait to see the results!
One more thing, You will be able to run both stock and open at this race!
Old 08-26-2005, 03:36 PM
Tech Master

Looks like Mike was reading my mind...............lol
Old 08-26-2005, 03:37 PM
Tech Master

I wonder who will be the fast guy in this new class.
I want to be the first...............
Old 08-26-2005, 03:40 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Motorman

That would be great if that was the key to all the major power. but it ain't!!!

You might be suprised. If you have not run that combo you wouldn't know would you. They are not much slower than 1/10th open, you can hardly tell. as far as motors go theres only a couple 15 bigblocks to chose from, And as far as mod versions there is little to gain on the 15 big blocks so it becomes a moot point.

I hear spec class one moment then on the next breath its well thats to slow. some of you are a contridiction in terms.
Dennis you need to get off the .15 kick...here's why...
1.) No one, other than the manufacturers in the far east are even producing .15 size engines...the Italians bailed on 15 cause they realize the .12 became the dominant engine. The OS .12 is better than its own .15.
2.) 1/8th scale cars weight almost 2 lbs more than a 1/10th chassis, a .15 is not going to cut it.
3.) Not sure about this but I don't think the bolt spacing for a 15 is the same for a 21??? If not then we need new engine mounts
4.) Last time I checked, the .12 sedans outnumber the outlaw 1/10th class. Why....cause there is no benefit to investing in a 15 compared to a 12....so why insist that a 15 is better than a SPEC 21.
5.) The drive train on a 1/8th is more demanding than a 1/10th scale chassis....a .15 is not going to cut it.
6.) Even Traxxus and HPI moved away from the 15 size engines.....why????Cause they realize the engine size sucks

..the purpose of establishing a 21 SPEC engine is to reduce the cost of racing to the racers, not to slow the cars down.

With the exception of the engine...and only the engine...all other 1/8th scale rules should remain unchanged...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.