Search

1/8th On Road Losing Popularity?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 09:18 AM
wad
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R40Victim
It really makes my electric tourer feel slow, and unresponsive...
That may help you run your slow car better. I think that if you feel your car slow, that makes the car easier to drive.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:21 AM
wad
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jeffreylin
Okay Walter I'll do it are you in?
I am in
Old 08-19-2005, 09:30 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wad
I am in
Oh yeah this is gonna be fun!
Old 08-19-2005, 09:33 AM
wad
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jeffreylin
Oh yeah this is gonna be fun!
Better for you, I got a '03 you will get a '05
Old 08-19-2005, 09:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I haven't read all three pages yet, but for the most I have read...you all must not be racing your cars.

1/8 scale cars are not much more price wise than touring cars to race. Aside from the tire and fuel consumption, the car and part prices are nearly identical. And 1/8 scale is easier to drive. You all have the wrong impression of touring cars. Yes, they are the budget nitro version of 1/8 scale...back in 1997, not now. The cars and engines are just as expensive as 1/8 scale now.

As stated by another member; the problem is in the United States track sizes that limit the 1/8 racers. It is not worth putting a 1/8 scale car on a track with the longest straight being 100 feet, it wouldn't be worth the money. When track owners build tracks in the 150+ (150 x 150) track sizes, then you will see more 1/8 race cars, shoot, a majority of 8 scalers probably think my 150 straight remark is too tiny.

Then if I was a track owner; why should I build a track that is so big limiting electric racers? It's a double edge sword for the track owner.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Personally, the $$$ all forms of racing has gotten out of hand. If I'd have to guess, the electric guys seem to spend a lot more money just to remain competitive.

What we are seeing throughout the hobby is very few newbees...so those racers who are still in it are being selective as to when / where they race. As we all get older, family and work responsibilities prevent us from attending all the club event we use to.

Case in point: the 2005 Great Lakes Challenge...huge turnout for 1/8th, both masters class and regular class. Many of the drivers who attended the GLC are the same guys who travel to Vegas in the Spring / Winter Nats / ROAR Nationals / TX Biggie etc.....

My prediction for 1/8th is it is here to stay, those drivers who are commited to the class will stay with it a give-up on other types of racing...Prices for 1/8th tires are coming down and as more quality tracks develop throughout the country, the more these committed drivers will hang around.

IMO: 1/8th drivers are a close knit group of guys and will never let this class die down....

If ROAR wants to do something positive for this class. A "SPEC" motor class to be introduced, especially at the nationals. The Engine must RETAIL from the manufacturer for less than $500USD, which means the street price would around $300-$400. Every engine supplier has one, its just we elect not to use one...I bet if we had such a class, a lot of people would sign up for it.

Just my 2 cents
Old 08-19-2005, 10:40 AM
Tech Champion

There are track layouts that can be reconfigured to suit the needs of any given racing class, be it Oval, Electric or Nitro Touring, 8th scale, 12th scale, ect. I've seen some that are huge, but can be cut down to half the distance by moving 2-3 barriers.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:57 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

The cost of insurance for 1/8 scale nitro racing is to much money(I know you can get it from Roar),add not enough racers then add the cost of land you have a no win track..you will go under in no time at all,unless you live in a area that has alot of racers who like to go real fast.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:59 AM
Tech Master

Default Carl

I agree on a "spec" class. It doesn't appear that less expensive racing venues exist. We, ROAR, should honestly consider the health of our hobbie/sport. We need to encourage new racers - cost point and ease of enrty into our sport.

This does not just apply to 1/8th - it (fall-off in new racers) applies to Radio Controlled Racing as a whole.

We had best make an entry level drawing point - The manufactures need to sell product too - I bet their sales are off. I started in 1/10 off road. Yes, price was a factor - but, a racing venue, that made me feel welcome, was as equally important.

We need to create an avenue for "new" racers - gas electric, whatever. How can we start such a movement?
Old 08-19-2005, 11:26 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Their are not very many tracks left and the ones that are get very little suport from the local racers.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:28 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Carl Giordano
Personally, the $$$ all forms of racing has gotten out of hand. If I'd have to guess, the electric guys seem to spend a lot more money just to remain competitive.

What we are seeing throughout the hobby is very few newbees...so those racers who are still in it are being selective as to when / where they race. As we all get older, family and work responsibilities prevent us from attending all the club event we use to.

Case in point: the 2005 Great Lakes Challenge...huge turnout for 1/8th, both masters class and regular class. Many of the drivers who attended the GLC are the same guys who travel to Vegas in the Spring / Winter Nats / ROAR Nationals / TX Biggie etc.....

My prediction for 1/8th is it is here to stay, those drivers who are commited to the class will stay with it a give-up on other types of racing...Prices for 1/8th tires are coming down and as more quality tracks develop throughout the country, the more these committed drivers will hang around.

IMO: 1/8th drivers are a close knit group of guys and will never let this class die down....

If ROAR wants to do something positive for this class. A "SPEC" motor class to be introduced, especially at the nationals. The Engine must RETAIL from the manufacturer for less than $500USD, which means the street price would around $300-$400. Every engine supplier has one, its just we elect not to use one...I bet if we had such a class, a lot of people would sign up for it.

Just my 2 cents
I agree 100%!
Robbie, Kris, and I were throwing some ideas around here and we were thinking about getting Crystal Park and Revelation involved in trying to get a "spec" class for 1/8th scale for the sportsman racers. We were thinking about making a class were you could only use offroad style motors. It would cut the cost of a motor in half and would slow the car down a bit thus saving the sportsman driver in parts and tires.

Just a thought...
Old 08-19-2005, 11:29 AM
Tech Champion

Race tracks in Key places, I.E. high visability areas. Near malls, larger shopping centers, ect... It's like advertising, you need exposure. Our local track is in a mall parking lot. We get lots of onlookers, in fact, on more than a few occasions, people pull up and sit and watch the whole race. Whenever somebody walks through the pits checking out the cars, my team and I are always more than willing to anwser questions. We get all the usual newb stuff, "How fast?"..."How much?" They love the speed, and are a little afraid of the cost. I always explain RTR vs High End Kit theory, and how they could come out with some cheap RTR, and dominate the novice class. Then later, mod the car to stay competitive.

I feel like this hobby would be alot bigger if more people knew about it. One issue is interpretation. It's hard to convince a grown man that RC cars aren't toys... But once they see an 8th scale car in action...they'd quickly realize what these Racecars are.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:35 AM
Tech Regular

Funny how everyone's cost comparisons pit the cheapest, least competitive 1/8 equipment against the absolute top-of-the-line 1/10 sedan equipment. 1/8 is vastly more expensive to get into and continue to run than 1/10 sedan. That they are starting to overlap on the low end of 1/8 and the high end of 1/10 sedan is more of an indictment against 1/10 than an endorsement of 1/8. They have both gotten way out of hand; it's just a matter of degree.

1/10 sedan started out as an entry level gas class. Very restricted engines, rubber tires, and other rules meant to keep costs down have one by one been chipped away at until the original intent has been diluted.

So the answer now is a 1/8 "spec" class??!! My how things have gone full circle. 1/10 sedan was an answer to rising 1/8 costs. Now that the gamesmen with the deep pockets have gotten their way in 1/10, the poor folks looking for relief (again) are looking for ways to make 1/8 "affordable". Why not just return 1/10 sedan to its original intent?
Old 08-19-2005, 11:41 AM
wad
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Mike_Swauger
I agree 100%!
Robbie, Kris, and I were throwing some ideas around here and we were thinking about getting Crystal Park and Revelation involved in trying to get a "spec" class for 1/8th scale for the sportsman racers. We were thinking about making a class were you could only use offroad style motors. It would cut the cost of a motor in half and would slow the car down a bit thus saving the sportsman driver in parts and tires.

Just a thought...
That sounds good. I would call it a "SPEC Class" instead of Sportsman, then the doors are open to everybody including experts who wants to show their skills
Old 08-19-2005, 11:42 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by wad
That sounds good. I would call it a "SPEC Class" instead of Sportsman, then the doors are open to everybody including experts who wants to show their skills
That sounds good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.