Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mugen MTX-3

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 03:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

ok, you guys please explain to me about that "punch" thing. now we need to define what kind of punch you guys are talking about. the punch when the centax kicks in or the punch when the car shifts to second gear ?
i personally prefer a quick but smooth transition but most people seems to like a powerful punch, what is the advantage? wouldn’t this powerful punch make the car less predictable ?
Old 08-26-2003, 05:55 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Corse-R
You guys are really crazy, someone talk about European tracks, but those ratios are insane unless you're running on a such large large large track (Daytona size or bigger).

Next week I'll try with a 27 on the second gear but seems to me that will be so much for mine track.

BTW: Fast as a 1/8? naaaah! you're joking.... pick one and know what's is running like a raped ape....
Honestly I am not joking! with a powerful engine like Vmax or Rody tune 5 port with these gearing, it is close to an 8th scale, of course at the end of the straight the 8th will pull on you but they have to let go too!
I had quite a few audiance from last saturday! he he that was a blast
Old 08-26-2003, 05:57 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Cartman
where can i down load that chart
and what is the internal ratio of the mtx3

cheers
You can download this chart from www.mugenracing.com under news
Old 08-26-2003, 05:58 PM
Tech Champion

Ah10 has become a speed devil !!

Old 08-26-2003, 05:59 PM
Tech Master

Yeah.... those ratios doesn't deserve so much punch unless you have something quite big bolted to your chassis.... I'm about 5:1 on the second gear and I scare about losing punch on the 2nd gear...

I remembered when I ran electric touring with an 8x3 engine with 2400NiCd cells... punch was really MASSIVE with a 9:1 and frightening acceleration.
Well depends on track conditions, sometimes if you have too much "punch" the car is so hard to control, and you will get all kinds of wheel spin...and bad tire wear too!
Old 08-26-2003, 06:02 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Manticore

Yes I am, he he the track that I run has 200 ft straight, plus another good 40~50ft sweeper which I normally dont let go of the trigger ! also before the straight there is another half round big diameter sweeper into straight roughly another 25~30ft, so total roughly about 250+ft on full throttle, it is fun with that kind of gearing! he he
Old 08-26-2003, 06:17 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by stefan
You know what a Associated Factory driver told me recently?

The LD3 is the better NTC3
sure it is.
Old 08-26-2003, 07:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Re: Mugen's Fuel Cap

Not really idea, but what scares me about is the new fuel tank for the MRX3... is the fourth or fifth revision of the tank, fortunately, didn't have any problems with mine, but many people went thru a nightmare about the dreaded fuel tank.
I have never had a problem with the original tank but i did end up getting the revised one and found no real difference.I think it's more to do with the track design and high speed sweepers at certain areas which caused some trouble with the fuel.I don't run mine much nor have i run it at more then 1 track so that's probably why i never had any problems,but at least it's not as bad as a snake tank on there past cars!!
Old 08-26-2003, 07:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Data
ok, you guys please explain to me about that "punch" thing. now we need to define what kind of punch you guys are talking about. the punch when the centax kicks in or the punch when the car shifts to second gear ?
i personally prefer a quick but smooth transition but most people seems to like a powerful punch, what is the advantage? wouldn’t this powerful punch make the car less predictable ?
Are way different, what we usually know as 'punch' is the ability of accelerating out from stand still or going out strong of a hairpin, where you almost stop the car. This involves a clean acceleration and a strong 2nd gear engagement to continue accelerating up to the next turn.

Others can talk about punch about how wild is the clutch engaging and the engine holding the torque to keep the clutch engaged and accelerating the car, as much longer is the gearing (lower numerically ratio), the more torque needed to accelerate the car.

When an engine is overloaded, it needs more fuel, develops more heat and is subjected to more wear on their moving parts, due to the excess of force needed to move all the car.

Usually I adjust the gearing to get a clean acceleration and get the top speed at about the 75 or 80% of the lenght at the backstraight and adjust the clutch depending track and grip conditions. 2nd gear shifting and how strong is related to the shifting point, depends on the available power and your gearing and where and how much you want to shift into 2nd during all the track. Many times we mix all the parameters and are very related between them

If the track is grippy and supports a wild clutch engagement probably I'll use a very hairy clutch adjustment (Xtra hard spring, lightened weights, soft shoe) but isn't the normal conditions. Car is very delicate to pull of the hairpins, due to the brute power delivery. This puts too a lot of stress on all moving parts of your car, so more wear and tear (spurs, belts, dogbones, CVD's... you name it).

Probably much people will get better results using a slightly shorter ratio that permits your engine scream a little higher with a slightly better acceleration, is worthless to have a gearing capable of getting >60Mph only after 200 foot of launch, is much better have only 55Mph but after 130foot with a shorter 2nd gear.
Old 08-26-2003, 07:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by stefan
You know what a Associated Factory driver told me recently?

The LD3 is the better NTC3
What is the name of this traitor,i will report him to SLOWHARRY !
Old 08-26-2003, 07:59 PM
Tech Elite

Dr. Frankenstein into engines? or MTO power?
Old 08-26-2003, 08:47 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by EVOLUTION
What is the name of this traitor,i will report him to SLOWHARRY !
what is slowhairy going to do with the traitor?
Old 08-26-2003, 09:22 PM
Tech Elite

Nothing, because the traitor would drive circles around him all day long, blind sighted
Old 08-26-2003, 09:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

what is slowhairy going to do with the traitor?
Something very scary using his FEET.
Old 08-26-2003, 10:47 PM
Tech Initiate

I recently ordered an MTX-3. I have a picco .12 rear exhaust engine with threaded crankshaft. Is this motor ok to use in my MTX-3 or do i need a SG Crankshaft due to the centax clutch?

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.